Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Self encryption does not mean Opal. In fact don't lots SSDs leave their internal encryption on because there is almost no overhead but you get the benefit of scrambling data and also the benefit of fast wipe? But yeah I guess not every ASIC may implement it which explains my question but I was always told the you get free (and necessary) benefits out of it so that throws me off but my head is stuck in enterprise land

I've got a stack of non-Opal drives that support crypto erase

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Shumagorath posted:

Speaking of which... is write amplification a thing / of significance with software full-disk crypto? I remember back in the Sandforce days it would ruin their deduplication / compression special sauce.

No SSDs do that sandforce-style internal compression anymore.

I think any full-disk encryption method that encrypts both used and empty space would be mildly bad for consumer SSDs. That would fill a whole volume with writes that the SSD would treat as data.

Naively this would mean using Bitlocker with "encrypt entire drive" is bad... but I don't know how MS treats that volume post encryption. I'd imagine they'd be smart enough to do something like trim all the free space afterwards to release it again. That would put you back to normal, with just a one-time episode of extra writes.

WhyteRyce posted:

Self encryption does not mean Opal.

Ok, not Opal but whatever, not supporting a decently strong encryption is a reason to not use crypto erase.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Bitlocker defaults to encrypting only used space iirc, but doesn’t offer guidance for media; only history of the drive.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

WhyteRyce posted:

In fact don't lots SSDs leave their internal encryption on because there is almost no overhead but you get the benefit of scrambling data and also the benefit of fast wipe?

This is my understanding as well. People figured out that the best data pattern for improving bit error rate in flash is white noise, AKA no pattern at all. All good cipher algorithms generate output which looks just like white noise, and there are standard ones that are by design very cheap to implement as a hardware accelerator, so at this point if you aren't encrypting everything, you are designing SSD controller wrong.

Once that's table stakes, it's not a big feature add to do secure erase by destroying the key.

On the other hand, speaking of table stakes, if betting on finding plenty of incredibly boneheaded hardware and firmware design in PC peripherals was a thing, you could just plonk your money down on "there will be poo poo" every time and watch your winnings roll in.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Any issues with Samsung 980 Pro's these days? Looking to add a 2TB M2 form-factor (e.g. MZ-V8P2T0B/AM) to my system. It appears the often recommended Crucial P5 Plus is discontinued.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Wandering Orange posted:

Any issues with Samsung 980 Pro's these days? Looking to add a 2TB M2 form-factor (e.g. MZ-V8P2T0B/AM) to my system. It appears the often recommended Crucial P5 Plus is discontinued.
The only knock against the Samsung models is that I've been seeing the WD SN850X half-off everywhere.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
should be fine, just make sure to update the firmware

there's also the recently-ish announced 990 evo to compare price and performance with, but it looks a little gimmicky so far: https://www.pcworld.com/article/2214459/samsung-990-evo-review.html

kliras fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 23, 2024

makere
Jan 14, 2012
What's relatively cheap pcie4 SSD that runs nicely without a heatsink (with decent airflow)?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

makere posted:

What's relatively cheap pcie4 SSD that runs nicely without a heatsink (with decent airflow)?

Prices have come up a bit, but even really good drives are pretty affordable. Normal PCIe 4 recommendations for "high end" are things like the Samsung 990/980 Pro (with firmware update), WD SN850X, or Solidigm (Intel/SKhynix) P44 Pro.

Looking on pcpartpicker, a 1TB example of those options will run you about $85, while the cheapest of all cheap 1TB drives is around $55. I personally would just spend the extra to have a solid drive you can never have to think about again and to potentialy not have to deal with support from uh... "Timetec", but you do you!

All three of those high end drives will run just fine without a heatsink for normal home use cases provided you have some airflow. If its going in a PS5 and its clam shelled up, might be a little different story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

makere posted:

all of them

If you're looking at 2TB, the Teamgroup MP44L for $115 is a good budget drive. TLC, standard phison controller, good sustained writes, very power efficient. It's not the fastest drive; it's in the lower half of the gen 4 class, but that ain't bad.

Up from there you have the SN770 and the new 990 Evo, which has dropped in price like a rock. Both are going for just under $140 on pcpartspicker.