Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that reminds me, I still need to rehome my Windows boot to the 960GB Optane I bought a few months ago…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Optane sounds fun, but what's the appeal of wedding your system to dead-end tech?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How is it wedded? It’s no harder to move from Optane to a new SSD than it is from any conventional SSD. I don’t expect to need ongoing support for any of my drives, really, and when they die/scream-in-SMART they just get replaced.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

If your SSD is in need of a FW patch then things are wrong to start

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Shumagorath posted:

Optane sounds fun, but what's the appeal of wedding your system to dead-end tech?

It’s a dead end but its write endurance is basically infinite compared to normal ssds.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
We used a ton of those 16GB optane drives as pcie endpoints but I forget what it was that they did wrong, maybe it was having problems with repeated link disables. Anyway shouldn’t be a problem for a legit use when not torture testing pcie links.

I still think a disk-on-module is probably a better option for a small industrial drive though.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Perplx posted:

It’s a dead end but its write endurance is basically infinite compared to normal ssds.
I guess that’s nice? I’ve never even come close to burning out an SSD, though maybe QLC will start to make me sweat that.

Why did 3DXpoint lose out to NAND? Cost?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

I guess that’s nice? I’ve never even come close to burning out an SSD, though maybe QLC will start to make me sweat that.

Why did 3DXpoint lose out to NAND? Cost?

Only intel and micron were interested in producing it, and frankly NAND lifespan is still plenty good especially with a lot of redundancy for enterprise products.

3dxpoint’s big feature was supposed to be much much lower latency and transfer speeds so it could be its own memory tier in between dram and NVMe ssds but it never got to that performance level so it was more of just an also ran to PCIe NVMe.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WhyteRyce posted:

If your SSD is in need of a FW patch then things are wrong to start

yo dawg I heard you like computers, we put a computer inside your computer so you can have firmware bugs while you have software bugs

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Klyith posted:

yo dawg I heard you like computers, we put a computer inside your computer so you can have firmware bugs while you have software bugs
Like Intel ME?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Having done both I’m feeling very triggered right now

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

A certain SSD vendor will never admit you found a bug and will instead insist it’s the specs fault for not allowing fault tolerance and special messages to mitigate said bug. It’s exhausting

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Klyith posted:

Is there any tweaking or tuning for how much separation between the voltage levels is used? Or is that a thing that's not really possible to do? From the very basics I know of how the cells work, that seems like it would trade better retention (more gap between levels) for endurance (higher voltage putting more stress on the cells).

My understanding is that pSLC writes in a T or QLC drive are much less wearing on a cell because they don't use multiple charge levels. But I don't know whether that's from less voltage, or some other effect.

Please note I am not a real flash expert, I just used to chat with an engineer friend who worked on enterprise SSD controllers so I learned some flash facts from him.

No idea re: levels but if I had to guess, I'd guess it isn't possible. Just on first principles, the more electrons you shove in the trap, the more they want to get out. Doesn't seem like that would mix well with leaky insulation at end of life.

On pSLC - multi-level write modes have worse write performance than SLC because the controller inside the flash chip has to titrate charge into the cell. They inject some, read to see where the cell's at, if it's too low loop until done. It does seem plausible that repeated cycles of applying high voltage to force a little more charge in causes more wear than a single big injection.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How are Inland brand drives? MicroCenter is usually pretty solid on other stuff

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

At least before they were solid, just standard drives with Phison controller.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Middle of the pack. Easier to return and get a replacement if you are close to MC and get a bum one.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

there are a lot of reasons why Optane died. the tl;dr though is basically cost/capcity. you were basically paying more for a drive that was 1/10th the capacity.

optane gets a lot of poo poo for failing but I think that's a tad unfair. it's the same poo poo computational storage, K-V SSDs, storage accelerators, ZNS, and probably FDP will struggle with. yes, tremendous benefit can be squeezed out under optimal, well written code. but at the end of the day the customers all just seem to want something that's cheap as poo poo, works like everything else, and doesn't require a rewrite of whatever poo poo software stack they are having to deploy. having to explain "literally none of your old code will run on this ZNS drive unless maybe you switch over to this other experimental file system also your performance may be poo poo" to a customer probably instantly sours them.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 17, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

makere posted:

At least before they were solid, just standard drives with Phison controller.

Before what?

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Before what?

Couple years ago, I haven't been keeping up-to-date.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

makere posted:

Couple years ago, I haven't been keeping up-to-date.

ah, OK. I thought there might have been An Event like a PE takeover or change of suppliers or whatever, whew

Microcenter is one of the last good things in computer retail, and I cling to it even though I have never been to one

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Subjunctive posted:

Before what?

The thing. You know, that Thing.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I was reading a review of a SK drive and the gist was that it was perfect in every way except for not having a heatsink. What does an SSD heatsink even look like since I wasn't aware SSDs even needed a heatsink? Can you just place a drive in-line with a case fan or such?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I was reading a review of a SK drive and the gist was that it was perfect in every way except for not having a heatsink. What does an SSD heatsink even look like since I wasn't aware SSDs even needed a heatsink? Can you just place a drive in-line with a case fan or such?

Just a block of metal, with some minor amount of fins. Ex the WD Black 850X only has "fins" from some internal holes in the metal bar. They're more heat spreaders than sinks.

However, you can generally ignore a review talking about heatsinks on SSDs being necessary. Number one, most current mobos come with heat spreader plates where the NVMe drives get installed. And laptops can't fit drives with heatsinks at all.

Two, it's just not a huge deal even if you don't have one. The controller chip on modern SSDs can get hot enough to throttle itself down, just like a normal CPU. (In fact these controller chips are specialized ARM CPUs, thus my joke earlier about putting a computer in your computer.) When that happens they naturally will have lower performance. But the thing is, pretty much the only thing that makes them throttle hard are artificial benchmarks testing maximum sustained sequential performance. Real world normal use will rarely do that.

If your case isn't a hotbox, a SSD heatsink is not a requirement. (There are places they are needed, like the PS5 storage expansion slot which is a tiny box with zero airflow.)

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

priznat posted:

Only intel and micron were interested in producing it, and frankly NAND lifespan is still plenty good especially with a lot of redundancy for enterprise products.

3dxpoint’s big feature was supposed to be much much lower latency and transfer speeds so it could be its own memory tier in between dram and NVMe ssds but it never got to that performance level so it was more of just an also ran to PCIe NVMe.

I think performance was better for the DRAM modules, but RAM prices fell just as it entered the market, so it was squeezed out off the memory mode. And the persistent memory mode needed stack adaptation, so it was too slow to get going.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Slotting 3DXpoint PMEM meant losing a slot for RAM, and that's extremely silly. Ram is ten times faster, and rewarming a cache after boot is not nearly as hard as having a bunch of developers rework your app to capitalize on not-as-fast-as-ram, not-appreciably-faster-than-ssds-in-a-way-that-mattets storage.

Optane--as in the storage side of it--was cool but prices never worked out for it.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Optane DIMMs were regular dram backed by Optane so it was like the memory hierarchy within a memory hierarchy if you used the right mode

It’s not just persistent, it’s huge amounts of memory. I’ve seen enough demos and presentations to know that there is a potentially valuable performance improvement to be had that isn’t just no need to reload from disk after reboot, but yeah rewriting anything is a hard sell even if it’s for potentially good reasons. ZNS seems pretty dead in favor of FDP because of the hard requirement of a complete rewrite even though the former gives you a real cost advantage. And I think many companies weren’t keen on jumping all in to a single sourced tech from a historically finicky vendor

There still is interest around the concept. It’s why CXL is forging ahead.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 18, 2024

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

ZNS seems pretty dead in favor of FDP because of the hard requirement of a complete rewrite even though the former gives you a real cost advantage.
The Open Channel -> ZNS -> FDP transition is like a reverse of the dril tweet about turning a dial, except it's labeled cost savings vs effort.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I don’t even know FDP is that much easier (the spec is kind of junky tbh) but it lets you use it as a traditional SSD in parallel to or as backup to your application teams figuring out just what the hell they are supposed to be doing so maybe that’s enough

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It even kind of seems like CXL is a bit DOA with no real great use cases coming up, additional memory tiers that require a poo poo ton of software support and system planning probably not where it’s at.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I used to think nothing of stuff like dual sockets being an issue for anyone because I’m a brain dead HW guy but then I talked to application teams that absolutely hate numa and lol CXL is numa on steroids get in losers we are going over an interconnect

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

I used to think nothing of stuff like dual sockets being an issue for anyone because I’m a brain dead HW guy but then I talked to application teams that absolutely hate numa and lol CXL is numa on steroids get in losers we are going over an interconnect

Yeah Software folks are gonna dictate this for a while at least and I think they hate it.

Even adding memory expansion is a big headache and that is the simplest of CXL applications. Doing cache coherency and whatnot, they’re gonna go bananas.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Zorak of Michigan posted:

The form factor is called disk on module.

BobHoward posted:

Retention starts out high when the flash is at 0 write cycles, because that's when the insulation around charge traps or floating gates is in excellent condition. As the flash accumulates write cycles, insulation gets damaged, making the cells leakier, which means they fade faster.

However, people want a single number which tells them "this is the minimum guaranteed data retention time". NAND manufacturers spec the retention time based on the NAND having reached its rated write cycle limit, but this means that brand new NAND will always outperform its datasheet retention time, and not by a small amount either.

This brings us to enterprise vs consumer. They do some binning, as I understand it, but that's not enough to produce the huge increases in write cycle endurance that enterprise NAND enjoys. Instead, they're just choosing to pick a point further out on the curve: more write cycles, worse retention. Enterprise customers are okay with retention times that would be terrible in a consumer product, but want the drive to last longer in service before it has to be scrapped, so they're fine with this tradeoff.

So for this trade show demo application, consumer or enterprise makes no difference. Buy any new SSD, don't write to it a lot, and it should have multi-year power off retention regardless of its nominal specs.

Saukkis posted:

I suggest Intel Optane 16GB M.2 NVMe sticks, they are available plentiful on eBay for $5.

Thanks, this is exactly the info I'm looking for. Those optanes might be perfect but either way, I'm happy with the retention of a low-write SSD. Most importantly I don't need to spec the rest of the hardware around the storage since there's options for anything I choose.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Are the various secure erase ops any worse on SSD endurance than a normal write cycle? I understand there’s deleting an AES key and forcing all cells to 1 or max_voltage…?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Shumagorath posted:

Are the various secure erase ops any worse on SSD endurance than a normal write cycle? I understand there’s deleting an AES key and forcing all cells to 1 or max_voltage…?

AFAIK most SSDs just do the bit where they delete the encryption key and the translation table. Effectively zero endurance use.

For the ones that also do an extra erase of the flash, it's an erase that hits everything at once. I'd assume this counts as half of a P/E cycle, and so is basically 50% of a full drive worth of endurance? But I dunno if erase and program have the same or different wear.

When talking about NVMe drives, you can send distinct commands for Sanitize Crypto Erase or Sanitize Block Erase, if you use a tool like nvme-cli with the discernment.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Shumagorath posted:

When I looked at it on SATA drives, the ATA Secure Erase command permitted both of these implementation choices. Some manufacturers publish technical documentation which discloses how they do it. Others, you can infer based on observing how the drive behaves during a secure erase (mostly, how long does it take - 10 or more seconds hints at bulk erase, a few seconds suggests key destruction), or other factors like SMART stat counters before and after the wipe.

Don't count on one vendor doing the same thing every time. IIRC, I found that Samsung 840 appeared to be a bulk erase family, while 850 used key destruction.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Klyith posted:

When talking about NVMe drives, you can send distinct commands for Sanitize Crypto Erase or Sanitize Block Erase, if you use a tool like nvme-cli with the discernment.
I noticed this, but I've also found drives that would only support SBE and fail SCE.

BobHoward posted:

When I looked at it on SATA drives, the ATA Secure Erase command permitted both of these implementation choices. Some manufacturers publish technical documentation which discloses how they do it. Others, you can infer based on observing how the drive behaves during a secure erase (mostly, how long does it take - 10 or more seconds hints at bulk erase, a few seconds suggests key destruction), or other factors like SMART stat counters before and after the wipe.

Don't count on one vendor doing the same thing every time. IIRC, I found that Samsung 840 appeared to be a bulk erase family, while 850 used key destruction.
Yeah, like this.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

nvme drives are not required to support the sanitize operation, or any the specific sanitize operations. Always need to check the identify controller output for support which is probably not easily doable in windows

really surprised someone would not crypto erase though

you should still be able to kick off secure erase and specify crypto vs. user data erase via nvme format though

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 20, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'd be interested to know what's in this thing for secure erase: https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/sm2dupe11

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Shumagorath posted:

I noticed this, but I've also found drives that would only support SBE and fail SCE.

WhyteRyce posted:

really surprised someone would not crypto erase though

The simplest reason would be because they're not an Opal 2.0 self-encrypting drive.

For example, my SN770:
code:
/home/data ❯ sudo nvme id-ctrl /dev/nvme0 -H | grep "Format \|Crypto Erase\|Sanitize"
  [1:1] : 0x1   Format NVM Supported
  [29:29] : 0x1 No-Deallocate After Sanitize bit in Sanitize command Not Supported
    [2:2] : 0   Overwrite Sanitize Operation Not Supported
    [1:1] : 0x1 Block Erase Sanitize Operation Supported
    [0:0] : 0   Crypto Erase Sanitize Operation Not Supported
  [3:3] : 0     Format NVM Broadcast NSID (FFFFFFFFh) Supported
  [2:2] : 0     Crypto Erase Not Supported as part of Secure Erase
  [1:1] : 0     Crypto Erase Applies to Single Namespace(s)
  [0:0] : 0     Format Applies to Single Namespace(s)
  [3:3] : 0     Controller Copy Format 3h Not Supported
  [2:2] : 0     Controller Copy Format 2h Not Supported
  [1:1] : 0     Controller Copy Format 1h Not Supported
  [0:0] : 0     Controller Copy Format 0h Not Supported
has an obvious explaination for no crypto sanitize: "the WD Black SN770 does not support AES 256-bit hardware encryption".

Even on a QLC drive I can't see it being a problem unless you had reason to repeatedly do secure erases. That would be a pretty weird scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Makes sense since iirc Opal and IEEE 1667 are dead after so many manufacturers hosed up a good thing and everyone went back to implementing poo poo in software.

Speaking of which... is write amplification a thing / of significance with software full-disk crypto? I remember back in the Sandforce days it would ruin their deduplication / compression special sauce.