Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Benchmarked an OCZ 120GB Vertex in a C2D MacBook Pro just to show how far we've come

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have had good luck with Mushkin SSD's and memory

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SlayVus posted:

The base chronos wasn't a good drive, you wanted to go for the enhanced deluxe version because it used better NAND and used a SandForce controller.

Same controller, but the Deluxe uses toggle mode NAND for better performance

I have a 240GB and 480GB

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I haven't worked at BestBuy in forever but we never, ever tested stuff like PC components that were returned. Just PC'S and laptops, and that stuff was just hardware test then software restore

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I'd be okay recommending Toshiba OCZ. Other than the Trion 100.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

td4guy posted:

Is having faster SSD write speed worth losing 2 years off of your warranty? I don't think so. But to each their own.

I would say so. Are you really going to be using that same SSD after 5 years?

5 years ago I had an 80GB Intel X25-M. Great drive but I have no use for an 80GB SSD today. 3 years ago I had a 240GB Mushkin Chronos that's still kicking, but today I'm only going to use a 512GB drive (which I picked up for $99 on Slickdeals) or a 1TB drive (which I could get for $150-$200)

The drives are faster and bigger, so who wouldn't upgrade?

And I throw my old 256GB drives into family members machines or my PC at work where they aren't going to punished with heavy use.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Consumer SSD's started to hit the market in what, 2008/2009?

Everyone kept saying "Seagate/WD/Hitachi" will jump in when they know the time is right...they have the logistics and connections and the supply chain...

But they never came in and wiped out the little guys. Or, are we still waiting?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You can now pre-order the entire line of 960s: http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/all-memory-storage/s/solid_state_drives/_/n-10+11+hv22y+zq29m/

EVOs:
250GB - $129.99
500GB - $249.99
1TB - $479.99

Pros:
512GB - $329.99
1TB - $629.99
2TB - $1299.99

Intel 80GB - $220
Intel 160GB - $440

(back in 2009) :eek:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Col.Kiwi posted:

Yup. Also some of the stuff people sometimes consider moving, such as internet browser cache for example, is stuff that can benefit from the performance of an SSD. SSD endurance/lifespan is essentially a non issue for home users at this point.

But you're saving 2GB of writes per day!

There are more pressing issues with browsers dumping data to your SSD, to the tune of 20/30GB a day

https://www.servethehome.com/firefox-is-eating-your-ssd-here-is-how-to-fix-it/

30GB/day ends up being 10TB/year

Your typical 256GB drive might only be rated for 70-100TB of lifetime writes, but that site that did the big SSD endurance test with 240/2456GB drives didn't get a failure until 700TB on the first drive that died (Intel 335, Sandforce controller). The longest-lasting drive went 2.5 petabytes.

So even if your browser is skullfucking your drive to the tune of 10TB/year, you can still write another 10TB/year to the drive and you should get 5 years out of it at the minimum.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Neon Belly posted:

If I grab a 500gb SSD around Black Friday, would it make sense to just leave the 120gb SSD as my boot drive and chuck the HDD? 500gb would more than cover what I have on there.
gently caress dual drive setups.

Image over to the 500GB and run everything off that. Then keep downloads or music on the 120gb drive (or stick it in an old laptop/desktop to breath some life into it)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Neon Belly posted:

I just don't want it to go to waste :(
sell it on craigslist for 30 and buy some :420:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Any good deals on M.2 drives right now? I see a 275gb mx300 but it's only $5-10 less than a 250gb Samsung evo

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Skandranon posted:

I actually have a 500gb Samsung 850 EVO M.2 drive in box that it turns out won't work in my motherboard alongside my Intel 750. PM me if interested.
Edit: Derp I need mSATA not M.2

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 4, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Seamonster posted:

Why isn't there a 2 TB 950 Evo?

$999 sell a shitton of 'em easy.

According to the Anandtech review:

The back side of the 950 Pro is empty so a 1TB model should be geometrically possible if not economical, but the extra NAND packages would be even more susceptible to thermal problems. Samsung is instead choosing to wait for their 256Gb third-generation V-NAND before offering a larger model of the 950 Pro.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It's not the speed it's the density. NAND chips with higher density mean less chips on less channels so they're slower. You'd think they could get 128gb on a pci card for $30 butt hats not enough room for people. iTunes, a bunch of camera and phone dumps, averagbpeople use hundreds of gigs these days.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Are mSATA drives effectively dead? Like all the new drives are going to be SATA or M.2 right?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

my kinda ape posted:

Just for funsies here's what an old 3.5" SSD looks like! 120GB OCZ Agility 2

This was one of the very last good drives OCZ made before it all went to poo poo. At the time I had just ordered one of the models they had secretly changed and I returned it and got this one instead.

It was in my PC as a third string backup drive but I just took it out when I put in my new 1TB 850 Evo.

Agility's were their poo poo budget drive

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Is this nand shortage stuff just a marketing ploy? Unless theres a crunch on raw mats i dont see why they wouldnt produce to demand. Unless they ramped down production like opec or something

I'd guess they are running at capacity right now. New 3D fabs from Toshiba and Intel are coming online and Samsung is ramping up production of theirs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just get the 850

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sereri posted:

This is probably more a thing for the Haus but my 4½ yo Crucial M4 is acting up. For the last couple of days the PC will sometimes partly or totally freeze (partly as in I can still move the mouse and some programs will continue to work) and if it recovers the taskmanager will show 100% disk usage. Some of the time when that happens I even get notifications from some Intel program telling me the SSD was disconnected and reconnected.

My guess is it's toast but I figured maybe someone here will go "obviously it's {REASON} you idiot" and everything will be fine, can't hurt to ask.

I replaced the SATA cable a few minutes ago as a last resort. And it hasn't crashed yet but I suspect it will happen any. second. now.

Those drives were known to have issues - are you on the latest firmware?

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-ssd-firmware

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

I take it that the sort of NAND in SD cards is really low endurance? Or is there any reason why there aren't any slow but high capacity SSDs for archival or RAID purposes?

SSD's would make bad archiving tools - they will lose the data stored on them fairly quickly after powering off.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is there any way to know what you're going to get in a laptop as the OEM drive? Just found a mSATA adapter with an SK Hynix drive in a little 2.5" bracket in this Dell.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Is there any way to know what you're going to get in a laptop as the OEM drive? Just found a mSATA adapter with an SK Hynix drive in a little 2.5" bracket in this Dell.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

I've seen cases where a game load took 30+ seconds with both the SATA and NVMe drives, that's a really long time by modern PC standards. What is going on that takes up that much time and yet isn't improved by faster storage?

I would guess these actions are CPU limited - such as the CPU can only load or unpack so many assets so allowing it to access more doesn't help.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

crazypenguin posted:

It'll be interesting to see what happens when this bottleneck becomes more recognized. Maybe nobody cares? Decompression accelerators? Compression methods with faster decompression? GPU assisted decompression? FPGAs? (Hey, there's reason to want them on servers, and there may be reason to want them on cell phones, why not a reason to want them on the desktop!)

Why not just do the unpacking the first time the game is played? Saved the uncompressed assets to the local storage.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Harik posted:

That's pretty insane, LZO 2012 was decompressing at 1.2 GB/s on sandy bridge. Why would anyone gimp their performance by using a slow algorithm?

A couple things: I think jpg decompresses at closer to 80mb/s these days than 20mb/s

That said, a 1mb jpg file is going to compress at say 10:1, so you end up with 10mb of raw pixel data. So you might only be uncompressing 10mb of data per second but you end up creating 100mb per second.

Second, generic data compression algorithms don't compress images very well, and they're are just working on a stream of data. JPEG is analyzing blocks of an image and all that poo poo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I'd happily take an ADATA with a SF2200

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

thechosenone posted:

So since I don't have any pressing need for one, I figure that before I buy an SSD, I should continue to wait? They seem poised to gain yet more speed, capacity, and become cheaper in the coming year? It seems like they have hardly reached their maturity point yet, unlike tapes and hard discs.

They're still a fuckload faster than a HD ever will be. It's life-changing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I haven't had a spinning disk drive in my main machine since 2010

:smug:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Agrajag posted:

Ok, someone please explain wth is the point of this if it doesn't even work in Win10? I have to assume most anyone building a new pc is going to be using Windows 10 in 2017.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z270%20SuperCarrier/index.asp

Network teaming isn't supported but ethernet ports are. 99.99% of people aren't going to benefit from it anyway.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The only somewhat decent macOS SSD benchmark seems to max out at 2000 MB/s so I can't get accurate numbers, and I'm too lazy to install Windows 10 just to run benchmarks.
Couldn't you just use dd and open activity monitor?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Are there mSATA to SATA adapters that work at 6Gbs speeds?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Rabid Snake posted:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-960-evo-nvme-ssd-review,4802-2.html

This article concerns me. I ordered a 960 Evo for my laptop that is supposed to arrive this week. After reading the review, the 960 Evo supposedly draws a lot of power where you lose about an hour or two of battery life.

Anyone with either a Samsung 960 Evo or 960 Pro install theirs in a laptop? If so, was the power usage that much of a difference? I'm thinking of just installing this SSD into my desktop and grabbing a sata m2 or OCZ RD400 if battery performance is that bad.

The article is from novemeber so hopefully it was just a bug that Samsung fixed. I can do a report back with the original NCMe drive vs the 960 Evo once I get my laptop shipped from Dell.

Looks like it's just something goofy in Samsung's driver compared to Microsoft? Some aggressive settings or something.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is a 2.5" enclosure with a sata ssd in it too large, physically?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

100MB/s shouldn't be an issue for any SSD in the last 3 year should it? I mean my old Intel X-25 could do that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It's an okay drive. Obviously not as fast as an EVO or something but it's cheap.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Somewhat faster than top of the line SSD, not nearly as fast as RAM, what problem are we solving here?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Lum posted:

Is that new Seagage 2TB SSHD worth it for a secondary drive, or is it going to suck (because SMR and 8GB NAND) and I should get a standard 2TB PMR drive for the same price?

Hybrid drives are crap.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Krailor posted:

I could see Optane being successful in laptops. It will let OEMs chuck whatever garbage tier 2tb HDD they can get into a laptop and then slap a 16GB Optane SSD in it and you've got "2tb of storage accelerated with Intel Optane SSD technology".

They can then show it booting windows as fast or faster than a laptop with a puny 256GB SSD.

Lenovo has been doing that with M.2 SSD's and other than booting faster than a regular HDD, its oointless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

quote:

Since our Optane Memory sample died after only about a day of testing, we cannot conduct a complete analysis of the product or make any final recommendations.

:derp: