Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

VostokProgram posted:

When do patches actually modify the existing assets? Instead of adding new ones

To fix geometry issues, or change AI scripts, or item attributes, or...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What differences would I find between:
- Western Digital SN750 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
- HP EX950 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
- ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
other than a big swing in prices?

My applications are test VMs with occasionally high R/W I/O load, GaMiNg, Fusion 360, software compilation. (I don't actually know how those ended up being my short list, but I assume it's from either this thread or the PC Building one.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Klyith posted:

None whatsoever, all 3 are comparable and at the 1TB size are usually priced about the same. WD charging an extra $60 at the large size is big brands doing big brand things.

(The EX950 and the Adata 8200 Pro are even the same controller and are identical in performance.

Thank you!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Splinter posted:

I recall reading (from NewMaxx, the SSD guy on reddit) that SN750 will still maintain decent performance when nearly full, which isn't the case for the 8200 Pro (as it relies on a dynamic SLC cache to achieve it's performance, but if the drive is close to full, most of that cache space is instead being used for storage). Check out the empty vs full performance here. Though even if that's the case, that might not matter much for a lot of workloads. $60 premium for the 2TB SN750 though is kind of crazy considering at 1TB these models are all around the same price.

On the Canadian pcpartpicker right now, it's showing the SX8200 Pro at $360 and the SN750 at $498--so a pretty big swing! I don't think it'll get that full; if it does I'll fish out an older SSD for another TB of space or something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

codo27 posted:

ADATA dropped off my replacement SSD on the 30th...still ain't left LA! Wtf is that. Thing gotta come to the very opposite corner of the continent

Might just be a missing update in the system. In the past few months I’ve had a lot of packages look like they were still sitting in some hub until they teleported to my city and got scanned for delivery.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

nielsm posted:

Secure erasing an SSD is extremely fast because it actually just needs to wipe some bookkeeping data about how the actual data is stored.

My understanding is that Secure Erase actually zeroes (or 0xFFs) the cells, as described here:

https://superuser.com/a/936360

The excerpt from Samsung’s FAQ:

quote:

Secure Erase permanently destroys all data stored on the SSD by erasing the data in all cells (by changing them to FF status).

In addition, Secure Erase provides a way to reset the SSD to its factory default state if there is a problem with the performance or operation of the SSD.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A friend of mine posted this to a private engineering group we’re in, and I’m interested in people’s (evidence-based) thoughts. He has a reputation for being quite meticulous and data driven.

——————

“I'm doing some research on SSDs, specifically around long-term reliability when used on servers. Here's what I think I know. Hoping someone can tell me if my understanding is way off -- if so I will edit this post so it's useful as a reference down the road.

If you repeatedly write to flash memory, it loses its ability to retain data when the power is off. Data doesn't degrade by much while the power is on.

Powering up an SSD stops the progress of powered-off data loss but doesn't reset the clock. (This is the thing I'm least sure about.)

The data loss isn't a sudden cliff. Rather, the data kind of fades over time, and what actually happens is that the rate of fading goes up by a tiny bit each time you write. Temperature also changes the equation: to maximize retention you want to store drives at low temperatures but run them at high temperatures. And the difference isn't tiny: One table I found says that storing powered-off drives at 25ºC instead of 55ºC increases retention by a factor of 58, and running them at 55º instead of 25º increases retention by a factor of 8, and you can more or less multiply those two factors: running the drive at 55º and storing it at 25º rather than the other way around increases your retention by a whopping 404x.

The manufacturer's published write cycle limit is how many times you can write while the drive is at a certain temperature and still retrieve the data with less than a specific rate of read errors if you then leave the device powered off for a specific amount of time at a specific temperature.

The industry uses two different sets of numbers for "client" drives and "enterprise" drives. For client drives, they assume the drive is powered on at 40ºC for 8 hours a day and powered off at 30ºC for 1 year. For enterprise drives, they assume the drive is powered on at 55ºC for 24 hours a day and powered off at 40ºC for 3 months.

There are two failure criteria. If a drive is rated for a certain number of write cycles, it means that if you do that many writes, there will be no more than a 3% chance (FFR) of getting more than 1 bit error per 10^16 bits read (UBER) for an enterprise-class drive. I am not too certain if I have the relationship between FFR and UBER right here.

Based on all this, I conclude that if your requirements are that the drive survive loss of power on the order of days or weeks and you are certain it will not be kept in a blazing hot environment while the power is out, you can safely perform a vastly higher number of writes than the manufacturer claims.

I intentionally didn't talk about write leveling or caches above, mostly just because I don't yet have a very solid understanding of how they interact with the numbers I'm seeing. I know they are both super important, just not what "super important" means numerically.”

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BobHoward posted:

The thing your friend is least sure of is where he made a mistake, and where there's the most room to clarify, so kudos to him for accurately identifying where his knowledge needed improvement (that's not snark either, people who know when they're on shaky ground are awesome).

Thank you!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OEMs do so they can charge $200 more for the 500GB spec.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DrDork posted:

You would not believe the number of people who make purchasing decisions for massive enterprises based on the difference of a few dollars because they have absolutely no loving clue what any of the tech specs actually mean.

They are hired and evaluated by finance, not the operating unit.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No hyperscaler is buying the 256 version of that because their requisition plans are driven by Engineering and everyone knows that more local buffer will be handy at some point.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chicken helmets are legit.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are you actually doing enough that consumer write endurance is a concern? How many of these files are you downloading every day?

I’m not trying to talk you out of Optane or anything, but I uninstall and reinstall 30GB Steam games with reckless abandon and have never thought about exceeding the write limits, because I’m not running a busy database on it 24x7.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SlayVus posted:

I believe they're 850 evos with a write endurance of 150tbw. Just last month I did 500gb of downloads and this past 3 days I did 100gb. I can easily do 1tb in a month and have done so on many occasions. I understand that still is like 5 years of write endurance if I'm just doing 1tb a month and it'll probably fail prematurely before I even hit the write endurance, but the way my downloads work is that it's written to the drive twice once to download, once to stitch back together.

Interesting, that’s a fair bit of write traffic!

I wonder why the downloader doesn’t put the data into the right place in the file as it’s being pulled down. I guess that would be a little more complicated, and maybe doesn’t matter to enough people.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SSD Thread: (it’s good, ignore the anime)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CaptainSarcastic posted:

No offense, but why is it important to have one big pool of storage space instead of just having the 2TB drives be their own things? The only compelling reason I can think of is if you somehow have single files in excess of 2TB, if NTFS can even handle files that big.

Having discrete drives doesn't bother me any more than having discrete directories - it's the same thing to my mind only one level up.

For me it's not having to janitor things when I need a bunch of space but the place that space is available isn't where it "should" go. I do the split Steam drive thing too and it's only rarely annoying, but working with large language models can be awkward. I imagine that for Media Enjoyers it's a more common problem still. You can get there with junctions and blah blah but why not let the OS manage that?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think I don’t want a QLC drive because I’ve been playing with big ML models and recording video, but in spite of reading this thread religiously I am still not confident in my ability to choose a good drive. If I want a 4TB Gen 4 drive for primary boot, games, and occasionally write-heavy loads, is that the SN850x? Should I just get two SN770 and figure out some RAID setup to bridge them? I’d really like to have them as a unified pool, I think.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I just have the one 4090, so I’ll go with the SN850x and make things easier. Thank you!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

priznat posted:

Windows is so bad for anything low level. I wish you could get stuff like nvmecli and lspci in an admin powershell!!

Can you do this through WSL maybe?

Someone suggested this for lspci:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it looks like on Windows you can only send CRYPTO SCRAMBLE EXT from WinPE (the pre-installation environment) if using the Windows driver stack, so that might be why Samsung’s thing makes you boot into it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I ordered some not-insanely-priced-but-still-good-for-Canada SSDs from AliExpress.

They’re labeled as WD and Samsung, but I’m not sure how to validate that nondestructively. is there some device ID check that isn’t trivial to fake?

How should I beat on them before using them for real?

Anything other than SMART that I should monitor?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Klyith posted:

https://support-en.wd.com/app/warrantystatusweb
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/warranty/

If the S/N has a valid warranty you can probably assume it's not a fake.

I don't think there's much point to beating on them in any way besides "write a bunch of data". In which case you might as well make the test data be the data you want to put on them anyways.

Great, thanks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Klyith posted:

https://support-en.wd.com/app/warrantystatusweb
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/warranty/

If the S/N has a valid warranty you can probably assume it's not a fake.

The WD-labelled drives came in and the warranty screen for them is confusing:

I put them in as being region "China" because that's where they were shipped from, and I'm not sure what it means if the warranty info is just blank -- the explanation box says that there's a specific status for "out of warranty" so maybe that one isn't legit? The one with warranty info expires...today? Maybe that just means I need to register it or something? I'm going to try to register them both and see what happens...

E: the 1TB that wasn't listed as having a warranty status didn't go so well:

Guess I'll talk to the seller!

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 13, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What’s the buzz on Fanxiang? I see pretty competitively priced but I always forget what I want in TLC/QLC/SLC (this one has a “dynamic SLC cache”). Amazon reviews are good but mostly from people putting them in PS5s.

I got a couple for some Raspberry Pi projects on a whim, but I’m looking to upgrade my wife’s desktop’s primary drive (gaming and light photo editing) so now I figure I should get a second opinion.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No, that’s a US price and I’m in Canada where the SN850X is $50 more for 4TB (and entirely out of stock on Amazon), but if Fanxiang is an unknown quantity then I’ll pay the premium. Thanks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Binary Badger posted:

So it looks like SanDisk Extreme Portable SSDs are being universally reviled by a lot of major tech sites like ArsTechnica, PetaPixel, the Verge...

https://petapixel.com/2023/08/08/sandisk-portable-ssds-are-failing-so-frequently-we-can-no-longer-recommend-them/

https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/22/23733267/sandisk-extreme-pro-failure-ssd-firmware

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/05/sandisk-extreme-ssds-keep-abruptly-failing-firmware-fix-for-only-some-promised/

https://www.reddit.com/r/editors/comments/10qbn3a/potential_trouble_with_sandisk_extreme_pro_ssds/

Their only response to all of this, so far, is to issue s firmware patch for 4 TB units only, but it seems all of their capacities for this model are affected.

haha, the petapixel article’s list of “related articles” included the one recommending the Extreme Portable, which they have notably not updated to be any less effusive in its praise for the device

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Seems like the drive is doing a fine job of removing your data itself!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ofecks posted:

How would you recommend storing the BitLocker recovery keys?

For mine I put them in my password manager as a note, and put a printed copy in my fire safe alongside my passport and backup Yubi key, etc.

(Can I use FIDO2 as Bitlocker key? That would be even better.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Agrajag posted:

Is the WD Black SN850X 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2 2280 a good buy at $159.99 CAD sale price down from $379.99?

I hope so because I bought a pair of them at that price from CC!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Instant Grat posted:

Looking forward to spending an evening installing poo poo and transferring documents/settings/saves over once I get a new drive in, probably Tuesday

Is it so far gone that you can’t just Clonezilla your way to victory all at once?

Apropos which: I cloned (zilla) my brother-in-law’s 12-year-old barracuda spinning rust onto an SSD, but when I went to boot from the SSD Windows couldn’t find the OS. The EFI directory didn’t look like I expected, but it looked the same as on the source drive, so I figured it would work. Is this some problem where SSDs aren’t bootable if they’re MBR, maybe? The motherboard is modern (I forget the model) and had been booting from an SSD quite happily before my BIL inherited it. I’m hoping I can find some way to repair things such that it’s bootable, since doing a manual copy to a GPT-formatted thing seems annoying and error-prone.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Windows was OK with the duplicate UUIDs or whatever, it just refused to mount one of the drives until I adjusted the one on the clone. It could then mount and interact with the cloned disk just fine.

I really don’t want to have to do a full installation because copying everything over will be a huge pain and I don’t want to be providing support for “yet-one-more hidden configuration thing” with it being a 90-minute drive away.

I wonder if I could create a GPT drive, install Windows 10 on it somehow, and then clonezilla just the C: partition to the new disk?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Instant Grat posted:

Klyith suggested (and I agree) that with that many errors, it's probably safest to do a clean install on the new drive. For peace of mind, if nothing else.

Hmm, but you’ll assume that your docs and stuff are OK? I guess you don’t have a choice with them, so that makes sense. I was thinking a clone and then running Windows repair on it if things are flaky. If the drive is returning bad data at that stage of decay I’m a little surprised, since while things are trending badly they are still within operating parameters.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This isn’t one of the Samsung Extreme drives I hope, given the recent news about them…

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Agrajag posted:

I just need to hunt down a decently priced/reliable 4TB NVME for mass storage since apparently Canada has a serious lack of options for 4TB NVME drives.

Canada Computers has a 4TB SN850X for $425 and free shipping, which is one of the better deals I’ve seen lately.

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_4229&item_id=226020

Now I’m wondering if my laptop needs an upgrade.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Klyith posted:

Heck of a premium over the 2TB, even in canada-bux.

It wasn't that long ago when 2TB was still charging extra for capacity, with prices well over double that of 1TB drives. I highly encourage anyone who doesn't really need the space right now to hold off buying a 4TB drive -- 2TB is the new standard so 4TB will be creeping down for the next year or two.

Yeah, my brain disease means that I have a 4TB in my main desktop, but you’re right that patience will likely be rewarded here. Still, if you need 4TB now in Canada, I think that’s your best bet.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

At our last layoff the tax and security implications of a thousand people keeping their laptops were deemed intractable, so we just gave each person $2K grossed up and said “maybe you would like to buy a laptop with this?”

Solidgm CISO is tied up in a closet somewhere I assume.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Amawho?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There aren’t any 4TB M.2 2230 drives yet, right? New Steam Deck on the way in a few weeks and I thought I might be able to put 4TB in it by now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

where in the tier list is Team Group? paul is a big fan, which counts for something with me generally, but I don’t know much about them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, it was the MP33 that he recommended to me, I think (maybe the MP44 as well, but we don’t seem to have that in Canada yet)