Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Shumagorath posted:

Speaking of which... is write amplification a thing / of significance with software full-disk crypto? I remember back in the Sandforce days it would ruin their deduplication / compression special sauce.

No SSDs do that sandforce-style internal compression anymore.

I think any full-disk encryption method that encrypts both used and empty space would be mildly bad for consumer SSDs. That would fill a whole volume with writes that the SSD would treat as data.

Naively this would mean using Bitlocker with "encrypt entire drive" is bad... but I don't know how MS treats that volume post encryption. I'd imagine they'd be smart enough to do something like trim all the free space afterwards to release it again. That would put you back to normal, with just a one-time episode of extra writes.

WhyteRyce posted:

Self encryption does not mean Opal.

Ok, not Opal but whatever, not supporting a decently strong encryption is a reason to not use crypto erase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

makere posted:

What's relatively cheap pcie4 SSD that runs nicely without a heatsink (with decent airflow)?

all of them

If you're looking at 2TB, the Teamgroup MP44L for $115 is a good budget drive. TLC, standard phison controller, good sustained writes, very power efficient. It's not the fastest drive; it's in the lower half of the gen 4 class, but that ain't bad.

Up from there you have the SN770 and the new 990 Evo, which has dropped in price like a rock. Both are going for just under $140 on pcpartspicker.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Calico Heart posted:

Hey guys, I just got an ASUS TUF A15. SSDs are a pretty big blindspot for me, and find myself getting quite lost reading about the exact specifications, and what I need. It has two slots and comes with a 500 GB SSD preinstalled, I think this one looks good and should fit the requirements, but I’m really not sure. Would really appreciate someone letting me know if this has any glaring problems or anything, it is also at the upper limit of my budget;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-In...ps%2C133&sr=8-5

Cheers in advance, this sub forum has generally been incredibly helpful

Yeah that's a great price/performance pick right now, especially in the UK I'm not seeing anything a whole lot cheaper that's not substantially worse.

The manual says:

quote:

NOTE: A second M.2 card module slot is only available on GTX 1660 Ti and
RTX 2060 models.