Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

PS. Love the cabin posted:

What are the odds of a PCIe SSD completely dying?
I have a Sandisk SSD here that I pulled from a dead 2013 Macbook air and I'm not sure what to do with it.

I bought a cheap $5 adapter from china that adapts it to 4x pcie but it doesn't even enumerate on the PCI bus, but does get a tiny bit warm.
There are other adapters in the ~$30 range but I don't know whether it's worth trying again or not.

SSD Model: SD6PQ4M-256G-1021

I know the device isn't bootable on my motherboard's chipset, but it should at least show up in the device tree right?

Show us what adapter you bought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Ample posted:

Can someone recommend to me an affordable but highly reliable external hard drive? Does not have to be gigantic 1 - 2TB mostly for word files and some pictures. Speed, size really come secondary to reliability and price. Any help is appreciated.

There's really only one option here: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T3-Portable-SSD-MU-PT500B/dp/B01AVF6UO8?th=1

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I'm in a bit an odd situation, I finally can get an SSD drive. The problem is that my C drive which has my Win10 install was never partitioned (and was just a standard 1tb HD) and my other HD doesn't have enough space to take all the data from my C drive (which includes a lot of stuff I don't want to risk losing), by a huge amount. So do I just need to get a another standard 1tb hard drive along with the SSD so I can clone my C drive? All I want to do is move the OS to the SSD, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that; that doesn't involve cloning the whole C drive. I take it there isn't a way to partition the OS from the rest of the C drive now is there?

Just directly clone your C drive over to the SSD by having them both plugged in at the same time. That's the normal way to do it. If you're getting an SSD smaller than 1TB, you can shrink your volume from Windows Disk Management.

Move/copy the "stuff" you don't want to risk losing onto your other hard drive. Important files should always be backed up anyways.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

SlayVus posted:

You can get a WD Blue 250GB for the same price as the 32GB Optane. Which uses the same tech as SanDisk's X400 lineup.

So should these WD Blues be added to OP?

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
Where are the slow, large capacity SSDs for bulk storage?