Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Do Samsung SSDs juggle data around when idle for wear leveling purposes? Curious if the cells where my large static data is stored have been written to once, or if the controller is smart enough to eventually move 50Gb.italy.holiday.#blessed.mkv to the most used cells

Using a 950 Pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I've just put a Samsung 750 EVO in an older laptop, HP Pavilion DV6-2113TX. Various random forums seem to indicate the option for AHCI is hidden (no options are exposed in the latest BIOS), so I'm fairly certain its using IDE. Just how detrimental is that going to be long term? If it lasts a few years thats probably going to be sufficient for a MomLaptop

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Samsung Magician has been bumped up to v5.0. Sleek new UI with not many user options. They finally got rid of all the useless performance 'optimisations'

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Wrong link? No mention on RAPID mode.

Is that fifth gen v-nand currently in use in the new 970 series?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

...Storage Spaces (which, by the way, is essentially a deprecated technology now that S2D is taking Microsoft's focus)
What is S2D? I'm using Storage Spaces at home for ReFS so this comment caught my attention