Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What OS is it? Install the samsung driver if it is supported by the OS, results will possibly be better. Going from the ms drivers in windows server 2012 to the ones in 2016 there is an increase in performance I noticed, so drivers do matter a bit.

Otherwise benchmarking ssds is a bit of a dark art, with things like preconditioning required to get the drive into a steady state.

I'd say those results look to be in the right ball park and don't sweat it too much. If you were seeing sub 1600 seq reads then it could be running in x2 which could be a drive or motherboard or connection issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I look at those benchmarks similarly to car manufacturers fuel economy ratings - numbers garnered from absolutely ideal conditions.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah that sucks, burn up a x4 m.2 connector? Lame.

Getting some in at work to use as cheap nvme endpoints though, at ~44$ a pop you can't beat them if you don't care about capacity.

Weirdly they still don't have actual part numbers on intel ark: http://ark.intel.com/products/97544?ui=BIG

priznat fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 24, 2017

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

In the comments for the optane articles, people are mentioning how Intel's original released specs have been totally missed. They're being shut down by comments like "Intel didn't specify gen 1" :downs:

Isn't Samsung getting in on a low QD / latency optimised SSD?

Yah Z-NAND which is probably (dunno if this is confirmed haven't been following it that closely) some kind of 3D NAND optimized for low latency.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Is it just that it will only act as the cache drive in Kaby Lake? I'm wondering if you can just use it as any other NVMe drive on other chipsets. A tiny drive, of course.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

From the looks of it I am guessing that the IRST driver is what requires the 7000 series cpu + 200 series chipset.

I'm hoping if I plug it into other chipsets I'll see the 16/32GB drive. Hard to find a definitive answer on this from the reviews, but we have 3 of the 16GB on order so I will be able to test them out. If it does it'd be great for our purposes but really I don't see what the use case is otherwise if a standalone SSD is better anyway.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Aw yiss

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Optane update: as expected it runs fine as a regular nvme drive on non kaby lake chipsets, running it on a broadwell E3-2609 v4 through a pcie switch with no problems.

The pcb is just the optane IC(s) without much of anything else, could have made it 2260 sized without much effort..

priznat fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 28, 2017

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Chisel them into a granite slab imho

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I would say the HGST Ultrastar SN series are worthy additions to the enterprise nvme section. They're just harder to find than the Intels. Samsung PM1725a too.

For the Optane I don't know who would really need one that much. They're great for folks who need really cheap nvme pcie endpoints and don't care about capacity, though!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The only supplier I could find with intel p3700 drives was asking more than 2x what we paid for them from another supplier less than 6 months before.

So we got a poo poo ton of the optane m.2s instead. The aic dc4800x still doesn't seem to be available yet either.

It bugs me how stuff gets announced and you can't buy it for months after. Unless your name rhymes with "oogle", probably.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

I haven't had trouble getting P3600s :shrug:

I can't remember here in this traffic jam whether their nand is the same

I am not sure about the nand (Intel doesn't seem to trumpet SLC/MLC etc) but the specs have the 3700 as much higher reliability and somewhat higher performance too.

Plus we have a lot of 3700s already and want to keep apples to apples comparison (just make sure to update their firmware!)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

:getin:

Those ADatas are ridiculously cheap, like ~$120 for 256GB. Need to see how they perform and how long they last!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

960 Evo is also a fine choice.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lol look at this dumb poo poo

240 or 480GB in massive idiotic aic :rolleyes:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

P3700 smoothie!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

After thinking about it, it's actually not a bad way to differentiate yourself from 900 other taiwanese misc pc hardware makers. Take whatever crappy controller they use and cheap NAND and wrap it in that ugly shell and hey, it's kinda unique.

Also fun to laugh at.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

Why would I want an A1 upper on my SSD? Clearly a flattop is superior

Slap an aimpoint on there and GTG

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

No irons? You'll be dead in the streets

45deg backups brah

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That's not nvme, that's usb to m.2 sata.

Afaik there are no usb to nvme connectors.

Closest I could think of would be usb-c thunderbolt to an external pcie enclosure to a pcie to m.2 adapter card, which would get pricey.

priznat fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 11, 2017

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

U.2 (aka SFF-8639) is quite widespread in enterprise since they are hotswappable and the (backplane) connector can be used for either nvme or SAS/SATA.

Most new servers coming out will have the option on the front panel to run SAS/SATA or NVMe drives. It shares a lot of the cabling for backplanes etc with 12G SAS so there is a lot of cables out in the wild which makes switching a lot easier.

Consumer PCs it might happen more but m.2 is pretty compact and fine for most applications..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

We're configuring all of our lab's NVMe systems as U.2 now, and then using adapters when testing M.2. I've spent most of today assembling these drat things.

We order a lot of poo poo from serial cables and it's good quality but some things are insanely priced. Like the u.2 to AIC adapters, one is $300 and the other is $600 for pcbs with no active parts.

Found another place, http://microsatacables.com that has cheap pcie adapters between m.2, aic/cem and u.2 in any permutation and they work decently well.

They have m.2 to u.2 adapters like that one that come with enclosures to turn it into a regular looking 2.5" drive, haven't tried that but looks slick.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Flash memory summit is this week and there is a lot of neat stuff coming out.

New Micron nvme drive up to 11TB: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/08/08/micron_9200/

Lots of new NVMeoF (NVMe over Fabric) stuff, which is cool, a new mainstream nvme controller from Microsemi (ex-PMC), new flash densities, 1Gb MRAM modules from Everspin, etc.. very cool stuff.

priznat fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 8, 2017

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Welp so much for FMS, a booth caught fire (Innodisk, whoever they are), sprinklers went off, mass hysteria.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It's basically enterprise'ing m.2 drives. It makes sense, the 2.5" drives are just that size/shape due to the legacy of having to stick a spinning disc in there. And m.2s being all bare components is not the best for hot swappin.

It will be interesting to see if it catches on though or if everyone just flips Intel the bird.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

Uh, bet your rear end customers are lined up rtfn to buy.

I shoulda read more when it said there was a working group with most of the big players already on board. I was thinking if it was an Intel proprietary form factor guys like samsung would be not too keen..

This is a good looking setup overall!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Toshiba wants to sell their NAND business to Western Digital for $17 billion dollars. That could get interesting

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-23/toshiba-western-digital-negotiating-on-chip-deal-kyodo-says

Man this has been going for forever. Just glad Broadcom is out of the running, apparently.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The OS nvme driver is usually totally fine as long as it is a newer os like windows 10 or server 2016.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The new enterprise drives seem cheaper now too, the 1TB intel P4500s are coming in around $700USD, which is comparable to what we were paying for the 400GB P3700s a few months back. Similar endurance too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It probably just requires a slot that can bifurcate to x4x4x4x4, ones from AsRock and Supermicro will do that (among others). It just isn't that common on asus consumer mobos.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

xPanda posted:

Isn't this the one that has limited usage, since it lacks its own PLX chip to split the lanes? Might be a Skylake-X only thing. The talk of unused CPU lanes would support this.

There do exist other such devices with their own PLX, and seem to work generally.

Some motherboards bifurcate the x16 into different options including x4x4x4x4, ASRock Rack and presumably asus server/workstation boards support this as well.

I’ve seen it as far back as broadwell e3/e5 mobos for sure.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Anyone get an Intel 900p yet? Getting some of those and a couple of the x8 HGST SN260s for system testing, curious to see how they go.

SN260 gets 6.2 GB/s reads apparently :getin:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Walked posted:

Yeah. I picked up a 480gb 900p

Drive is stellar. I do a lot of VMs and development work and it is goddamn great.

Raw read-only/write-only throughput is on par with NVMe but in mixed workloads it shines

I am curious, do you use it for VM image storage? I run some lab servers with some minor vms (ubuntu/win server 2016) for misc tasks (using hyper-v) and am curious if staging the images on that would really speed it up.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Can the 900p run in DMI mode like NVRAM cards can? The x8 ones running in that mode can get something like 10million IOPS, it’s crazy. They have a supercap though for data backup to flash and the cards top out at like 16GB usually.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It is interesting how granular the storage space is getting with every step of the price/performance/capacity chart getting filled.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm thinking of re-purposing a M.2 SSD into a desktop without an M.2 slot. I see adapters to turn M.2 into both SATA and PCIE. Any advantages to one or the other. I'm assuming this is an active piece, rather than a passive metal passthrough. Should I be concerned about performance?

Which one you get depends on if your m.2 drive is pcie or sata really.

Usually they are fully passive adapters going from m.2 to pcie aic (add in card) or m.2 to sata/minisas hd connectors.

If you specify the drive and what you want to plug it into that’d help people give you a shopping list!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

repiv posted:

If your drive has two notches you need a SATA adapter, one notch you need a PCIe adapter.

There are some exceptions like x2 pcie only drives (the optane drives for example) have the two notches.

It’s a bit of a dog’s breakfast and needlessly confusing imo.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

repiv posted:

Welp, you're right. That's stupid.

:agreed:

At least AHCI over PCIe is dead because that just added yet another confusion to the mix.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Thanks. The drive in question is a Evo 850 M.2, so I'll grab a SATA adapter. I mostly wanted to sure using an adapter wasn't an inherently performance killing idea.

Nope! Should be fine. Something like this:

http://www.microsatacables.com/sata-iii-to-msata-m-2-ssd-cfast-card-adapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

For sure. Microsata had one that comes with the enclosure but I am phone posting so that’s my excuse. The price varies on their stuff because they are overruns on custom jobs I think. They have good stuff for weird pcie adapters like u.2 to x4 aic slot