Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Toms Hardware did a "review" of the "960 Evo" using the PM961.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kaleidoscopic Gaze posted:

I had a Mushkin Chronos 60 GB poo poo the bed on me last year. It only lasted 2 years, and I didn't use that computer very heavily or load the drive up very much. I even did all the preventive maintenance type tuning to the OS I had on it (first windows, then Linux Mint).

I have an enhanced chronos deluxe 240gb as a daily driver for almost 4 years now. The only issues I've had with it were with my motherboard, which I didn't realize until I upgraded from a 920 to a 4790k. Obviously, this is all anecdotal. The base chronos wasn't a good drive, you wanted to go for the enhanced deluxe version because it used better NAND and used a SandForce controller.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

That's current situation :saddowns:

It'll come with time and greater market penetration.

You could buy a thunderbolt pcie dock for like $200 then a pcie to m.2 for $20 then you just need thunderbolt on all the other devices.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Unlucky7 posted:

I am also guessing even with the throttling, the SSD will still be faster than my current HHD?

If that is the case, then I may as well take the plunge.

SATA 3 will provide like 550MB/s maximum speed on an SSD, SATA 2 is going to be like 260 MB/s. I believe the only hard drives that can do anywhere close to 200 MB/s are going to be of a large capacity that will cost a lot of money. $300 will get you a WD Black 6TB that can do 220+ MB/s sequential, but it has <1 MB/s random 4k speeds. For $300 you can get an 850 Evo 1TB that will do 480 MB/s sequential and ~37/112 Read/Write MB/s 4k random.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Chelb posted:

I was thinking of the Mushkin Reactor 1tb, actually

Mushkin Reactor 1TB has a rated write endurance is 144TB with a 3 year warranty at $240. The Sandisk x400 1TB has 320TB write end. with a 5 year warranty at $240.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Stats-wise, yes - but I really doubt you'll notice a difference in 'user experience' like going from an HDD to SSD for the first time. Still, for $130 for a 250GB boot, it's not a horrible thing to buy in early to the ~NVMe Revolution~.

I just don't see the point in a 250 boot drive for $130 when you can pick up 500/512 drives for about the same price. Sure, you're paying for Samsung's reliability at that price, but what's wrong with a Sandisk x400 512 for $135?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ItBurns posted:

How much faster is the 960 Evo compared to the 850/840? Is the 960 that much faster, even on paper, that it's as big of a deal as its being made out to be? I looked at some reviews but I wasn't 100% on which metrics were comparable.

At Queue Depth 1, you get about a 40% improvement to 4k read speeds and roughly 25% improvement in 4k write speeds in IOPs. What you really want to look at in SSDs are 4k random read/write and endurance of the flash. Anything more than QD1 is going to be heavy multitasking or server based work loads.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have a z97-a as well, if I'm limited to 700-800 mb/s will I still get full 4k performance or will it be halved?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Newegg on EBay is selling 850 Evo 1TB for $270. Newegg price is $306, $300 on Amazon. So you save $30, just depends if you want a 1TB drive or not. Purchased one before from them on Newegg:Ebay and had no problems with it. Probably going to order again. It's even cheaper than Jet's $280 for the SSD.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMSUNG-850...doAAOSw~uhUmskj

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

I think we are dealing with Windows storage subsystem inefficiencies at this point. Faster SSDs don't do much for workstation workloads.

Windows and windows applications would be better servered by higher 4k QD1 read speeds would it not? So your best option would be to raid all the SSDs together for maximum game!

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Why does raid 0 not increase 4kQD1 random read speeds. It improves every metric except that with three 1TB 850 Evos. Granted, I'll probably switch back to just switch back to single drives, was just wondering.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, don't know why I didn't think of that. Also just looked at this old Toms hardware SSD benchmark. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-gaming-performance,2991-9.html Basically, games on average queue only at depth 1 for 75+% of the time, but over 60% of that is sequential. So SSDs do help for both launching and loading, but I'll have to advance to like a 960 pro for better qd1 performance.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If you want to reduce writes to the drive, move internet browser cache to an hdd, change default download location to hdd, turn off hibernation if OS is on SSD. That's what I can come up with, some will disagree with me on the first two options, but those are just my opinion.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I've only just passed 16TB written after almost 4 years with my 240 GB mushkin. I've already written 1tb each to three 1tb 850 evos since Thursday, I've only owned two of them since Thursday. The only reason why so much has been written to them is because I had put them all in a Raid 0, installed a bunch of games off steam, deleted the raid the next day and split origin, steam, and Uplay to their own Evo downloading the games again.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

everythingWasBees posted:

For a upper limit of $120, what would be a good SSD, preferably from Amazon? It's for a laptop harddrive that'll be dual booting Linux and Windows, if that matters at all.

You can pick up an X400 512GB for $134, an 850 EVO is $165.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0196FPT1Y Amazon is out of stock, but there is a new one fulfilled by Amazon for $135.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 14, 2016

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So evidently Newegg is going to have the 1TB 850 EVO up for sale for $250 on Black Friday. That'll sell out in seconds. =/

I dont know where they're stock is going to come from... They sold 975 on EBay for $270 a piece in October. I doubt they would purchase any great quantity of them for black friday deals.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if there is a company that makes SATA power connectors meant for 3.5 to 2x2.5 drive bays? I'm trying to find ones that basically put the connectors right next to each other and have a 90* downward turn. I don't anyone knows of such thing and I'll probably have to make my own.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
People were getting it the same day they purchased it. Maybe they ran out of codes.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Most stuff nowadays doesn't care if it is installed on c: or somewhere else so just adding another drive isn't much of a hassle.

I put my new 1TB into use as a games drive, I like to keep my boot/os/apps on one and games on another. Then the boot/os gets the faster stuff first (next upgrade I will migrate to nvme) and I don't need to move around game stuff (which is really fast enough on sata III ssd for me)

Confirmed, PC don't care. Use two 1tb evos for games for steam, uplay, and origin. Use a 3tb WD green for Plex storage. Finally, a 250gb mushkin chronos deluxe for Windows. Everything works great without issue.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
They probably shipped the few they did have at that price then cancelled everyone else after they ran out.

Mine was cancelled as well

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If you remove the HDD can you boot from the SSD? If so, plug the HDD into another computer and just format it.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

VulgarandStupid posted:

What do you guys think would be faster? 2x M.2 Samsung 850s 1TBs in Raid 0 or an m.2 960 Pro 1tb? I'm not going to be doing either of these any time soon, but I was just thinking of possible upgrade paths in the future.

Why go with a 1TB 960 Pro when the 2TB is only $1,500.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You're still limited to the 4k random IOPs of a single drive when you're dealing with applications that operate 4k random. The only benefit you'll get with RAID0 SSDs is in sequential performance. I had three 1TB 850Es in RAID-0 and saw no performance between in my 4k performance, just sequential.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
They should provide complete system specifications in the detailed specifications pages for each laptop.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cowwan posted:

I use a Sandisk x400 for that exact purpose. It's $265 for 1tb vs $319 for the 850 evo 1tb.

I've bought new in box 850 Evo 1tb from Newegg on eBay for $260. In fact, I've bought three of them. They've sold them multiple times on eBay with batches of 300-400+.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Agrajag posted:

Would playing a game that is installed on a 960 EVO encounter heat problems?

Heat problems would occur from like writing data constantly. Playing a game is sporadic, short reading of game files. Reading data is much less intensive than writing data.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Agrajag posted:

any reputable stores to buy heatsinks that would fit a 960 NVME?

I use these on my Titan XP. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=enzotech+ramsink

You can find quite a few people online using them for 950 and 960 SSDs.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I think Intel Optane memory won't work in boards unless they specifically have a 22110 M.2 slot. All Z270 boards that are Intel Optane ready have at least 1 22110 M.2 slot and usually include a second 2280 M.2.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

People who buys ASRock's ~Supercarrier~ flagship board might be pissed, then - it has three M.2 slots, but all are 2280 only.

I may be wrong, ASRock claims that board is Intel Optane ready. Maybe they'll have 22110 versions with more storage?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

x400 and mx300 are in a race to the bottom in regards to cheap drives that actually have any performance

But the x400 does have a high endurance rating as well as like either 3 or 5 year warranty. When I was SSD shipping for a friend the x400 500 was what I decided in based on those two factors.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Volguus posted:

Well, PRO is better than EVO. If you can afford the price premium and if the things that PRO does better than EVO are important to you, then go PRO. However for normal consumers EVO is enough, the price hike for PRO is not worth it.

A comparison chart seems to not be easy to find with google, but i found this (no idea how accurate it is):
http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-960-Pro-NVMe-PCIe-M2-512GB-vs-Samsung-960-Evo-NVMe-PCIe-M2-500GB/m182182vsm204072

Unless you're willing to spend $1400 for the 2TB 960 Pro. Then it's worth it for the pro. /S

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Shameless theft from Reddit

SSD Thread - N V Me for my speed

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Lum posted:

It's 5400. The fact it uses shingled writing worries me more than the spindle speed though.

It's going to be used for game installs, and for dumping loads of video files onto when I take the laptop away on trips. It will not contain the OS.

If it is actually using SMR technology for the platters it's practically useless for when games have to update. Large tracks of data will have to be rewritten if the updates increases file size. It would be fine for video files and music.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Unboxing Day posted:

So I bought an SSD and then googled how to migrate my drive from my 1TB spinning rust hard drive to the smaller 500G SSD. I found no less than three tutorials online suggesting EaseUS Todo Backup Free, with step by step instructions for each.

Does this tool actually work? Presumably, it can clone a drive that is currently in use to the SSD, but this doesn't seem right to me...what if the drive is actually in use during the cloning proceedure (Chrome/Steam/whatever open in the background)? Won't that give you an inconsistent clone? I fully expected to have to blow away my USB drive and put a utility on that drive, but apparently not?

Your PC will just be completely unusable while it's cloning the drive. Shut down all programs, start the clone then wait.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

WhyteRyce posted:

It's a first productized release of a brand new media that is still faster than the fastest NAND SSDs, that's pretty impressive. Even missing the marketing hype numbers the numbers still look really good. Capacity/cost is an issue, a big one, but the rest looks drat good

Why would it not? It's faster than current SSDs and you'll get a performance boost. It won't be as noticeable as with a HDD. The Tom's Hardware review paired it up with a crappier Intel 600p and it got a performance boost. Whether or not you would have just used the Optane cost to upgrade from a 600p to a 960 is a different story. A 512GB 960 was almost twice the cost of a 600 though last I checked. Not sure if you'd actually notice the performance difference in actual usage though

Linus did a small performance test with Optane and an SSD. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgTYSsaNU_A TL;DW, Optane is just as fast as an SSD when used as a Cache, but sometimes slower. Better to save money for an actual SSD.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Is it just that it will only act as the cache drive in Kaby Lake? I'm wondering if you can just use it as any other NVMe drive on other chipsets. A tiny drive, of course.

There are three different optane modules. A 16GB, 32GB, and 375GB device. The 16 and 32 are $50 and $80 respectively, which you can spend like $10 more and get an actual 250GB SSD. The 375GB Optane device costs $1,500+.

It does require a 7000 series CPU as well as a 200 series chipset.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Macropiper posted:

The 32GB Optane drive would probably be quite good in something like an Intel NUC running Linux that doesn't need a lot of storage. Its cheaper than the smallest M2 850 Evo.

Not sure what else I would use one for, though.

You can get a WD Blue 250GB for the same price as the 32GB Optane. Which uses the same tech as SanDisk's X400 lineup.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ak Gara posted:

I wouldn't mind something slower. A slow cheap 5TB SSD for backups. (still with a long warranty) Even the slowest SSD would write backups quicker than the fastest HDD, right?

Yes, but optane isn't that. Optane is built around being high endurance and high endurance costs extra.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Wilford Cutlery posted:

How important is the amount of system RAM with an SSD? At work I like to bump people up to 8GB if they're at 4 or 6, plus clone them to an SSD. My boss doesn't like to upgrade the RAM in the 6GB systems, he says that when you get low on RAM and start swapping to disk, it's a non-issue when it's an SSD.

Are you leaving the rust spinners in? If you are, I don't see a major problem with it. If not, you're just lowering the endurance viability of the drive by using swap space on them if it's getting accessed frequently. What are your employees doing that require 8GB of RAM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BobHoward posted:

I was reacting to someone wistfully asking 'why will no one make a SSD optimized for capacity and/or retention over speed?'. Consumer SSDs already are that, about as much as makes sense anyways. You are correct that this still leaves them short of where HDDs are at for offline (no-power) retention time.

I wonder if you could make it the size of a 3.5" and use super capacitors for data retention. I see that they use them for power loss scenarios, but I wonder if you could use them for that purpose as well.