Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Munkeymon posted:

Is https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820177031 garbage? Newegg's got it for $200 through the daily email and I'm tempted, but it has that weird stain in the shape of 'PNY' on it, so IDK

You can get a WD Black 512GB for $199, a SanDisk x400 for $190, or a WD Blue 500GB for $150. The WD Blue uses the same components as a SanDisk X400, though both the X400 and Blue only read at 500MB/s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

Well poo poo.

Can someone give me some examples of what a 'good' deal looks like these days? The last time I bought an SSD it was like $150 for a 240GB sandforce was a good deal.

I've bought 1TB 850 evos for $260 a pop three times now from Newegg on eBay. Anything below $125 for a 512/500GB I think would be a good deal if it's like a WB Blue, SanDisk X400, or 850 Evo.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Wrong thread

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 29, 2017

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Would an nvme even be worth it on a 2x slot? My z97 board has a m.2 but it's only electrical 2X. Worse comes to worst I could just pick a M.2 to pcie card.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Welp... Now I'm going to have 4.25 TB of SSD in my PC.

Edit: I guess they all sold because I got a order cancellation email about an hour after I placed the order.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 30, 2017

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Newegg's email circular has a combo deal on Samsung 850 Evo 500GB x 2 for $280. Deal is only lasting for 72HRs. Pretty close to what 1TBs we're selling for a couple months ago before shortage. Currently the 1TB is ~$330.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

Here's what I got in an email from Micro Center..

I've purchased 850 1TBs for $250 a piece. Not the best price in the world. I think the 500GB have gotten to $110 as well. With tax at microcenter, looking at over $310 for the 1TB and $130+ for the 500.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

The m.2 of the asus z-97-A is nvme compatible right? this board

I have that board, it's a 2x instead of 4x and will disable SATA ports 5 & 6. So the drive will operate at half speed

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

Where did you find that out? Is that included under the SATAe header on the spec sheet?

e: is 1/2 speed nvme even faster than a normal sata drive?

PCI-E is 2.0 on the motherboard, it'll be faster than SATA and should theoretically get full 4k random IOPs. However I'm not entirely sure on if you would get the full performance of 4k random even though it is still slower than 10Gbps.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The 4k random QD1 speeds on the 900p are insane. You're talking a regular SSD does upwards of 40-50 MB/s. 900p? Breaking 400 MB/s without a sweat. I just bought a new office chair, Leap V2, and already have 4tb of SATA SSD storage on my main PC. I've run out of SATA ports and need to look at getting a server setup for my Plex media at some point.

But man would I love to have 480 900p in my PC. The throughput you could get with 4-7 of those in a TR build in raid 0.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sekenr posted:

Probably a stupid question about moving windows to SSD while keeping old drive for storage. There are a lot of guides on how to clone it and its easy enough, but they basically end with OK, boot up and enjoy :downs: Except none take into account that cloned windows still thinks that my documents and god knows what are on the old C: drive on HDD. While I can edit desctop shortcut paths manually I'm pretty sure a whole bunch of crap under the hood will still want to access old location for stuff. How do I migrate "properly"?

Change drive letter? Cloned windows is on B: drive and old windows on C:. Will I ruin everything if I just swap drive letters?

A legit clone would make the cloned drive the C: in Windows and when you boot off the cloned drive the old drive will be the D:. As far as I am aware, A and B are both still reserved in Windows for floppy drives.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Boozie posted:

Is a WD Black PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe a good SSD choice or should I stick with Samsung 960 EVO?
[e] https://www.wdc.com/products/internal-ssd/wd-black-pcie-ssd.html#WDS512G1X0C

I believe the black and blue use SanDisk x400 technology which is a good ssd as far as testing has shown.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Samsung really is charging as much as they can for the high capacity SSDs. $1900 for the 4tb 860 Pro and $1400 for the 860 Evo. $950/$650 for the 2tb. A MX500 2tb for like $500 and $260 for 1tb is a great deal.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The major benefit for something like Intel's optane in m.2 or PCI-e would be a cache drive. The 900p SSDs have insane drive endurance, something like 10 drive writes per day for 5 years. The m.2 16gb and 32GB have a 100GB DWPD endurance for 5 years and the new 58 and 118GB versions have 200GB DWPD. The 16GB and 32GB would be great for regular Windows caching like pagefile and chrome cache. Then you get prosumer levels of endurance for things like video editing 4k potentially with the 58/118.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Vinigre posted:

I'm wanting to upgrade a drive in my VM host from the 1TB HDD it's using now to a 1TB SSD. However, the file system is un-shrinkable (XFS), and I don't really know if the drives I'm looking at upgrading to will be big enough for a simple copy. My current drive's size is listed at 1,000,204,886,016 bytes according to gnome-disk-utility. If the new drives are even slightly smaller, my options will be to either spend a couple hours moving data around and reformatting to ext4, or to spend extra money on a Samsung 860 PRO (since they are 1024GB).

Would anyone here be able to tell me the exact capacity in bytes of a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, WD Blue, or something comparable? I've tried searching for a site that lists exact drive capacities, but with no luck.

SSDs are still sold as 1000 and not 1024 bytes. So a 1TB SSD is still the same size as a 1TB HDD. Which equates to 931.32GB.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have two 850 Evo 1tb I can check when I get off work tonight.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
850 Evo 1tb is 1,000,067,821,568 bytes. So, they don't work for your situation. Even though the 860 Pro is a 1024GB model, in their product data sheet for the drive that still stipulate that "1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes by IDEMA". So that actual usable storage is
953.674GB. This puts it 22.28GB over capacity of my 850 Evo 1TB(1000GB). So it looks like the poster will need to either trim down data on the drive to fit into an 860 Evo or fork over $300 more for 22.28GB of extra store capacity.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 24, 2018

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
M-Disc is supposed to be the longest term storage you can get. Supposedly will hold data for 100 to 150 years, but the jury is still out on that claim since it's only been around since 2009.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So the new Intel 800p m.2 SSDs use 2x lanes, would a 58GB 800p be a good investment for a desktop PC just to use as a caching drive? I do video editing, have a download manager that uses a cache for rebuilding files, chrome cache, page file, etc. My motherboard only supports PCI-e 2.0 2x, so I wouldn't get the full read speeds of 1400 MB/s+, but could get the full 4k performance.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

What's the size of your videos, and what's your system drive?

Mushkin chronos deluxe 240gb SSD. It's about 4-5 years in age now in 20tb+ drive writes. My current cache drive is an 850 1tb that I've gotten less than a year ago and already has 25tb of drive writes. I have in total the mushkin 240, 2x 850 Evo 500gb, 2x 850 Evo 1tb, plus a we green 3tb for video storage. My usage habits changed since I got a VPS/VPN.

File sizes of the videos I work with or around 8-10 gb for 5 minutes of video. Recording gameplay at 3440x1440@60hz. I also use Shadowplay which caches video which would be another use for the 800p m.2 drive. The 20+ tb of drive writes to my two drives mostly come from Shadowplay constantly running.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 10, 2018

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

So...an SSD controller actually knows how much actual data is on it if the drive is properly trimmed right? So an external could in theory have accurate usage displayed on an embedded display without using any assistance software and no dependence on the file system like previous attempts at an embedded capacity display.

Except that is apart of the SMART protocol and it's difficult to find enclosures that will pass that information to the host computer. They made e-ink displays on flash drives that show current storage capacity used, so it's possible.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 14, 2018

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Zarin posted:

gaming
would I possibly even NOTICE the difference

Unless you're editing 4k videos and need real time scrubbing, you probably don't need NVMe. More storage capacity would be better because it should theoretically also increase the life span of the drive.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/platinum-micro/product/CCMTFDDAK2T0TBN1AR1ZABYY/?ranMID=36342

2TB Micron SSD for $268. I think this is real bottom-tier SSD but the price per GB is pretty sweet.

This would be a great drive for just games if you play a lot different games on PC. Some specifications from the data sheet. 92k IOPs random read, 83k IOPs random write. It uses 40 TLC 384Gb 3D chips. This is a first generation device, they've already started on Gen2. The MTTF is 1.5 Million hours with a TBW life of 400TB

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 15, 2018

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Intel missed their best option to sell more SSDs. RGB lighting. Only $1.46/GB.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

m.2 SATA drives are a dumb investment and a trap for the ill-informed enthusiast consumer

For the informed consumers, you can use SATA m.2 SSDs in small USB enclosures that are slightly longer than an normal USB thumb drive. Giving you the speed of an SSD in a slightly larger USB flash drive format. I bought a laptop last month that had a 128GB SATA SSD in it and replaced it with a 1TB WD Black and put the 128 in said enclosure. Can transfer files around on the drive at 200+ MB/s speeds. For dimensions of said enclosure, 4.23" L, 1.25" W, 0.41" H

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 5, 2018

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

What effect will only having x2 lanes for a NVMe SSD have? Obviously it'll lower throughput by at least some extent, but does it also affect IOPS?

I could never get a direct answer of this and was never able to test it. I had a mobo that only had a 2 lane m.2 slot and never took the jump on purchasing an NVME drive to test to see if I could get full IOPs. Theoretically, you could get full IOPs of the device because the throughput of the interface was still significantly larger than the throughput of the IOPs of the device. Through months of googling, I could never get a straight answer from any source. It was usually just, "Don't buy NVME, just buy a SATA SSD because you're wasting the potential."

Looks like there is actually a review of them already and the answer is that it does not affect the IOPs of the device. Random 4k QD1 IOPs is 10172 average VS 960 EVO 11747 average.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mydigitalssd-sbx-nvme-ssd-review,5318-2.html

It's SATA level pricing for NVME level speeds. Other NVME drives start around $400.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 11, 2018

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Harik posted:

I burned out an EVO doing caching on a 12TB array, yes. I could just keep feeding it lower endurance drives but I think the pro will be more cost-effective in the end. Could be wrong!

If you have an available U.2/M.2 or PCI-E 4x slot, the 900p has a warrantied 10 DWPD for 5 years for both the 280GB and 480GB version. That comes to 8.5 PB of warrantied drive writes for the 480GB version. Where as the 2TB 960 Pro is only warrantied for 1.17 PB.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 26, 2018

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm curious whose "substandard NAND" they're accused of using. There are like, 6 manufacturers: Samsung, Toshiba, Sandisk/WD, Micron, Hynix, and Intel.

It could be that buying the outside ring of the wafers. Since the outside ring is going to have e the greatest number of defects, they just stick more chips in for the same capacity and use the extra chips for wear leveling. So they could be using the same chips Samsung uses for their pro series drives, but they're the rejects that even Samsung wouldn't use(Hypothetically). That's the only logical thing I can come to on the "substandard" NAND chips.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

So they're using MLC as advertising for Multi Level Cells. It's a '3-Bit MLC' drive, so really it's just TLC.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Fuschia tude posted:

Newegg just launched a 7-day sale on ADATA SATA NAND 1TB drives for $95. I assume this is a pretty good deal?

It's rated for 50% less writes than a WD Blue 1TB which you can get for $130. So for $30 more you get 100% more drive endurance AND 3 more warrantied years. The AData only has a 2 year warranty like you might find on a regular HDD. It might not actually be a good drive for an OS when your web browser and other things are constantly writing to your SSD.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but like, Sequential speeds isn't what's holding back the PC space anymore even with NVME drives. It's a mixture of Windows and 4K random. That's what so good about X-Point SSDs is they have almost 4 times as much IOPs 4k random read speed than any other SSD on the market. A samsung 970 pro has approx. 15k IOPs where as a 905p does 65k IOPs. Most SSDs will perform the same at QD16 in terms of 4k random, but the majority of a user's experience is all going to be QD1 to QD2 at most.

Now all these drives are so fast that their essentially always waiting on Windows. Now yes you can use Linux, but gaming just isn't one button push and play yet on linux yet. Manufacturers need to stop advertising the sequential speed as the main focus point and instead turn to QD1 4k random IOPs.

And with the advent of PCI-E 4 we haven't even reached the maximum speed of PCI-E 3.0 with QD1 4k speeds. We need newer SSD tech to help evolve the speed of random.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 28, 2019

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

apropos man posted:

Just to piss on the parade, one thing that does irk me about NVMe is the usage of PCIe lanes on a lot of consumer boards. Over the weekend I thought I'd set up a nice little ZFS array (3 SATA SSD's) on my ASRock B450 Pro 4 and I found out that because I had both NMVe slots populated it cuts out the last two SATA ports. So I had to remove one of my NVMe's in order to use all my SATA. I WANT MAXIMUM DRIVE USAGE, GOSHDARNIT! I just wish that "enthusiast" consumer boards had enough lanes so that you could fill 'em right up to the hilt and there'd be enough lanes to go round.

I can do 3 nvme drives, 6 SATA drives, one u.2, and I can do pci-e bifurcation to add additional nvme drives. I think the max I can do though is only one 16x slot to 4x4, but I have 4 full size slots 16/8/16/8 + 1 4x slot and 1 1x slot. So I can do 3 AIC SSDs, a 4 slot NVME to pci-e card and a graphics card. So I can have 17/18 drives not including if I wanted to make a RAM disk.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

apropos man posted:

Which chipset is that?!

Threadripper ASUS Zenith Extreme.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

apropos man posted:

Nice! Which CPU? What do you use it for? Actual scientific work or just lots of VM's and containers?

1950x, gaming and streaming. I just wanted it. I would like to do a VM with unRaid so I can still do gaming with hardware passthrough and a VM/docker for plex. Use another VM as the streamer PC like you might do with two different PCs. I could add up to 2 more video cards so I could have three PCs all running at once. I already have a PCI-E USB 3.0 card that has a USB host chip per USB port so I can run each host chip on 1 VM each and use a USB hub to add the USB devices per VM.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 28, 2019

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MaxxBot posted:

8 cents a gig

QLC drive with 3 year warranty.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Lambert posted:

Sounds like we're getting higher SSD prices:

In other news, major businesses have no clue how to use battery based back ups to help prevent losses during power outage. Or on site generators.

\/ Okay, they had batteries, but no generators?

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jun 29, 2019

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Anything wrong with a Silicon Power Ace A55? Newegg has them on sale for $90 for a 1TB.

SM2258XT Dram less with an SLC cache. Going to use it as a portable hard drive so don't need it for really big files.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 9, 2019

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

necrobobsledder posted:

Anyone got some ideas of what to do with older SSDs (circa 2010 like this 512 GB Mushkin Sandforce based SATA and with lower capacities like this Crucial 128 GB drive from 2011)? With these Inland SSDs for $100 I’m not sure if it’s worth the effort. I can’t really use them in ZFS situations, the 128 GB is barely enough for like 4 AAA games, and I have an HTPC setup based around the Shield TV that I’m quite happy with. I run a Kubernetes cluster at home. Last option I gave any thought to is for boot volumes and I’d be better off spending $100 for a new SSD then instead of another $400+ for 10 GbE.

JBOD array of SSDs for only games?

Cache only drive for all like temp folders for any program you can think of? Windows page file? Chrome cookies and temp files? Symlink the Steam downloads folder to the drive? Got a download manager program, set the temp file cache to the old SSD? Use as the default download location for files that are compressed and then uncompress to your main drive.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 31, 2019

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I just wish Optane wasn't so expensive. If it actually competed $ to $ for regular nand flash it would be a much better product. I would love a 1TB Optane drive in my PC, but at almost $2000 vs $200 for a 2TB SSD it doesn't make financial sense for a storage standpoint. To be 20 times more expensive ($100 for 1TB) than your competitors just doesn't make sense unless you want to sing around your big PCMR epeen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Really though, cooling is only needed for the controller chip. The NAND chips work better when ran warm.