Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kivi posted:

Are there any decent 1TB+ 2242 sized SSDs?

E: looks like this exists, but not in my market: https://sabrent.com/products/sb-1342-2tb (Nordics)

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=m+2+2242...sl_2pxarcm5c3_e

I'm seeing some sabrents and Samsung's, micron, and a few others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I've actually been planning on using an optane in my personal computer. The write endurance is what I would need. I use Internet Download Manager on my PC to download large files over 4gb on my PC since chrome seems to have issues with them. Let's me download at max speeds, but it works by downloading different pieces of the files and stitches them all together afterwards. I need the extra write endurance for the first part of the process that way I'm not spending double writes to stitch the files back together on my main drive. Even just a 64gb would be enough for me to use.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Are you actually doing enough that consumer write endurance is a concern? How many of these files are you downloading every day?

I’m not trying to talk you out of Optane or anything, but I uninstall and reinstall 30GB Steam games with reckless abandon and have never thought about exceeding the write limits, because I’m not running a busy database on it 24x7.

I believe they're 850 evos with a write endurance of 150tbw. Just last month I did 500gb of downloads and this past 3 days I did 100gb. I can easily do 1tb in a month and have done so on many occasions. I understand that still is like 5 years of write endurance if I'm just doing 1tb a month and it'll probably fail prematurely before I even hit the write endurance, but the way my downloads work is that it's written to the drive twice once to download, once to stitch back together.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Are the Samsung 980s on such a cheap discount because of the issues and reliability they've had? They're selling for $30 for a 980 500gb and $45 for 1TB on Amazon.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This may be a stupid question, but would anyone think there is a market for SSDs manufactured in 2009? I got like almost 20 128GB of some Lenovo branded Samsung SSDs Sata II 1.5Gbps 1.8" Micro SATA connection. 128GB, Samsung MLC chips, Samsung 1 GigaBit RAM, and a Samsung controller like what is used in the Samsung 470 SSD.