Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
i have a 256gb sandisk ultra II that i rediscovered

today i found about about 256GB microSDXC cards

the future is now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

What do people think about refurbished enterprise-grade SSDs? Newegg has refurb Sandisk CloudSpeed Eco 960 GB for $157. Assuming it's not trashed beyond usability by years of being a database disk or a ZFS cache drive, I'm thinking that would make a really nice Steam disk or Postgres store to toy around with for development stuff at home.

its gonna be rear end

high quality 1TB consumer ssds run for like $250 AND you get a warranty and there's no chance that the SSD will die in 3 weeks since its right on the edge of failure

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Which is why whenever you visit South Korea you wonder if they own the country since the name is pretty much on *everything*.

they basically do

samsung is essentially above the law there

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Optane is a flop lmao

Unless they integrate it onto flash SSDs as ram replacement/ cache ....

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

This is what I thought it would end up being, but given the capacities are similar to plain old DDR4 DIMMs, why not just use RAM? This is assuming it doesn't have a huge price advantage.

It's non volatile but has similar perf to dram so it'd actually be really good for SSDs: no need for the expensive capacitor backup

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

redeyes posted:

Well the 750 line is pretty badass. Not cost competitive though.

750 line is a data center drive in consumer marketing

Its a better 960 pro without throttling and in a 2.5 form factor

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Good newsthen: there's a global nand shortage!

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Definitely Asrock's C-team, because they'd normally add 4 more m.2 slots on the rear side of the card.

4x4 = 16

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Is there any good way to consolidate a 2TB primary OS drive into a 500GB SSD? I'm already banking on a fresh Windows install but just wondering if there might be a good method to transfer over programs from what is going to become the secondary drive. I'd imagine that copy and pasting the folder from one Program Files into another is going to cause all sorts of issues.

Just fresh install it

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

SSD prices seem to really be dropping, you can now get the MX500 for only 20 cents a gig.

China put the fear of God into the NAND cartel

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"In its first use of the ‘Toggle DDR 4.0’ interface, the speed for transmitting data between storage and memory over Samsung’s new 256-gigabit (Gb) V-NAND has reached 1.4 Gbps, a 40-percent increase from its 64-layer predecessor."

They're just renaming it.

What?

Toggle is the protocol between NAND die and controller, competes with ONFI

Rapid mode is a DRAM cache that is basically playing fast and loose with filesystems and could really be used on any device

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

The difference between an NVME ssd and an AHCI sata ssd is imperceptible to home use.

A bad NVME ssd will crap out and be noticeable but a good sata ssd will keep on truckin.

Performance consistency and having DRAM trump theoretical IOPS

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

These are all garbage sata drives

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Where is my 4tb NVMe drive

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Hyper m2+ 4x ex920 1tb in raid0

<700$ for 4tb and 10GBps perf

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Flash prices are in structural decline do these deals aren't as good as what will likely happen over the next 6mo

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The upsetting thing is that I'm sure Samsung's been sitting on this for *years*, and now that SSD pricing is cratering, they're going to be putting them out: https://www.techpowerup.com/249834/the-new-samsung-860-qvo-ssd-with-qlc-nand-gets-listed-online-will-be-cheaper-than-the-evo-family

4TB SSDs for under $500, and probably way lower, because I can't imagine the other makers won't immediately undercut this initial pricing level.

qlc is trash tho, best for a nas or something. 4TB @ 2-3x cost per gig is worth it to not have to deal with spinning rust

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

hell yeah

gonna make me an all flash array nas

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

apropos man posted:

Am I the only one that thinks: me, just let a hard drive do the job of fast, reliable storage well. Let a router do the job of routing packets quickly, reliably and well.

Etc, etc. I get that there would be a speed increase in letting the drive itself doing any transcoding but what about when other codecs are released further down the road and then the possibility of upgrading firmware on your drive becoming a regular NOTHER thing to update.

Anyone else prefer to let a device do what it's traditional role is. Am I being a Luddite?

An ssd controller is a fairly beefy mobile processor whose entire job is to fool the host os into thinking that the flash die is a hard drive

The new hotness in storage tech is to do kernel bypass / replace the shitbox software stack with something flash/nvme native. It's closer to a network stack than you think

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

40gbps is crazy. Enough in raid 0 would yield ram like read speeds.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

Never going to happen. Anyone with the means will have easier ways of getting at the data.

It's one of those "we know it can be done in a lab" things, not that anyone will* actually spend the time required to actually pull it off.

(* Except as a Stupid Academic Trick because they're bored and/or just to prove they can. Never underestimate how drunk and/or bored academics get.)

Shredding the hardware is sufficient against any reasonable adversary. Melting the hardware is overkill you would maybe want if you have a high-security facility.

I'm mostly just having fun with the concept of "100% unrecoverable". Nothing is actually 100% unrecoverable though recovering any usable data from a melted hard drive would take technology far beyond what we have now. If you're crazy enough you can read individual flash memory cells and piece together a SSD from shredded remains - some shredders even will leave entire flash chips intact.

Boy you really need to tell that to thermodynamicists.

Anyway: just melt them.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

priznat posted:

Doing a short Lunch and Learn presentation on NVMe over fabrics tomorrow and set up a demo system, it's pretty neat

Initiator: Raptor POWER9 with Mellanox ConnectX 5 RDMA (gen4) capable 2x100GbE NIC

Target: Raptor POWER9 with Mellanox ConnectX 5, PCIe gen4 fanout switch to a bunch of x8 gen3 NVRAM cards

Too easy to saturate a 100GbE link though, I have never done bonded links otherwise I would try that out..

Nvmeof is neat as hell. Do you know what the "line rate" is for IOPS?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Kairos posted:

I was looking up prices of 2TB drives in response to the previous post, and I found a poo poo-hot deal on a 2TB E12 drive: https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power-Gen3x4-000MB-SU002TBP34A80M28AB/dp/B07QR8LD7Y/ ($229.99 as of the time I'm posting this)

Only slightly more than double the price of 1TB E12, cheapest I've ever seen for any TLC 2TB drive. (That being said, there are a lot of them in the upper-mid-200s, whereas the last time I checked it was over $300 starting.)

660p is under 200 and is perfect for an external backup drive

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

A QLC NVMe drive seems like an odd choice for an external backup drive. USB NVMe enclosures are pretty expensive and I would expect that a QLC drive would run into bit rot issues sooner than a TLC drive.

USB NVMe enclosures are $50 or so.

1 year retention is fine. Anything needing longer storage time is on a cloud host, so this is purely for time machine level backups

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

BobHoward posted:

A 2TB 2.5” usb3 hdd runs about $60 and is massively more needs suiting as a time machine level backup device than a $200 qlc ssd plus a $50 enclosure.

have fun carrying that poo poo around with you while you wait for data to trickle out old man!!!!

a gumstick ssd backup drive is v needs suiting in a different way than a massive HDD that will die if you look at it funny.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

do we need to do a refresher on the different requirements for backup media, portable media, and performance media

Love too vpn into my home Nas to restore redundant data at 1mbps.

Anyway: it works for fast imaging of my MacBook that I can restore instantly and travels everywhere

For $200 it was pretty good for 2 TB

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Fun fact: nand runs better at elevated temperatures due to the way it needs to do quantum tunneling

It's the controller that needs heat removed

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I wouldn't trust the on drive encryption. https://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/395981/

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Palladium posted:

Going by past deals history: 1/2TB version of the Sabrent Rocket, HP EX920, Adata XPG 8200 Pro for ~$100/~$200 or Intel 660p 2TB (QLC warning) ~$150. The rest would probably be still too overpriced to even bother.

FWIW 660p is good enough for 99% of uses that don't require high reliability/durability -- mezzanine tier backup/offload, day-to-day use as long as you aren't running a database on it

For <$50 more TLC isn't bad, but for anything a normal consumer would do the 660p is fine. Great for a secondary game drive

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

The SSD companies seem to have gotten wise and decided their pricing needs to be updated; the Inland Premium 1 TB is now $129.99 (up from $99 and $109 previously) and all the other Phison OEM SSDs pricing seems to have mirrored the increases.

Increased prices for less DRAM but denser NAND. Sigh.

NAND has increased in price recently. Likely the driver for higher costs as the new consoles and new servers/pcs drive demand for later in the year.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Ika posted:

Probably because a dozen vendors would sue em for monopolistic practices / unfair competition.

Hasn't stopped them including hyperv

The real reason is that windows is on maintenance mode and no one cares unless it's something gimmicky to be farmed out to first year engineers like dark mode

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

taqueso posted:

This auction just happened to have 3 minutes left and I watched it end, was it as good a deal as I think or is there a caveat besides SAS? I don't have $1k to drop at a moments notice anyway, just curious about Seagate Nytro stuff

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15TB-Seagate-Nytro-3131-SSD-SAS-2-5-Retail-NEW/143529652145?hash=item216b08afb1%3Ag%3AUC0AAOSwGnpeQewH&LH_Auction=1

Enterprise grade stuff, no consumer warranty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

debating making an all flash array off of micron 5210 ion's

8tb for $900 * 6 = 48TB at 3GB/sec over ethernet

should be good enough I guess