Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Atomizer posted:

But Battlefield 5 is an exception, and multiple-minute load times are pretty excessive, to the point where it sounds like some optimization is in order. I mean if we're talking about a 2-minute load from a slow HDD at 100 MB/s, that's how many gigabytes to load a single level?!? :psyduck: Is the game really loading 12+ GB into RAM?! If we're talking about having to read a ton of small files, on the other hand, then that's potentially a game that would benefit from being on an SSD, but again, optimization is possible....

Huge lols if you think big game publishers are going to spend time optimizing for HDD read performance when they're so lazy they sometimes won't even bother compressing audio any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I've heard that SSDs can't be trusted to retain data when powered off for extended periods of time. How long would a system need to be powered off for before you would expect to start to see data degradation?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
In my case, I've got a project system that I installed an OS on a few months ago, and then haven't been arsed to do anything further with; I didn't think it was likely that just a few months would lead to problems, and I could "easily" just reinstall at this stage anyway, but i did have the thought of "hmm, at what point have I let this thing sit too long that I really do need to wipe and reinstall"

One other question out of curiosity - suppose you've got a worn SSD that spent long enough unpowered that it lost data. Is the flash media itself damaged at that point, or would the drive still behave properly?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah it's cool, i'm pretty well set now. thanks bro