Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Been following bapcsalescanada on reddit and seeing a bunch of jargon I'm not used to in the SSD space - specifically, different types of memory on NVMe drives, DRAM vs something else I'm not sure. People seem to be very fired up about the difference. Is there some big difference that I should be looking for when shopping for a new drive or is it an enthusiast argument vortex that most people aren't going to care about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

What on earth is a non tlc ssd

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Ok neato, so cheaper SSDs are gonna be QLC and you want the dram cache to extend their lifespan. Similar situation to spinning rust and SMR, you get more storage density for performance tradeoffs?

Is the OP still accurate regarding good/bad brands? I know Samsung has been having issues of late but otherwise is there any brand that's explicitly bad or alternatively hard to go wrong with? My go-to would normally be a Samsung 970 Evo

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Enthusiast argument vortex, got it

(That was very informative tyvm)

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

redeyes posted:

So you are arguing saving $10 or something for no DRAM? mmk

The "it's only $X argument" is also a little disingenuous because it ignores the fact that sometimes nickle-and-diming yourself on a bunch of things you're barely going to notice is the difference between "in budget" and "out of budget" for folks. Plus, I'm in Canada, so that $20 difference ends up closer to $40/50 because poo poo is just more expensive up here, which adds up over a number of components.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Ophidia posted:

yeah, I will send it in and try to get a replacement. But I still want to buy a new one as I will never trust this one again

Odds are they'll replace the drive, I can't imagine there's much you can refurbish on an SSD