Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
How big is too big? My use case is I have a 2TB HDD as my primary drive and some extras of various sizes for media and backup. Currently of the 2TB I'm using ~570GB, but that's completely inclusive of all the games I have installed along with all the files for my DAWs. I want to keep my DAW files on the SSD as I do use them a lot. However my games come to ~200GB, and I would move them from the SSD to the 2TB drive. Which means I'll be using roughly ~370GB. I expect this to get larger as I work on more projects.

In this use case, would a 1TB SSD be too much? I feel like a 500GB drive would be erring slightly too small if I start doing larger or more projects (WAVs take a lot of space yo). I'm probably waiting for the 960 EVOs to come out in bulk and grabbing one of those. Additionally my computer is chugging along fine so I have no intention to upgrade barre an SSD and some extra RAM, but my motherboard has no M.2 or anything like that. It appears to be SATAIII all the way. I'm okay with this as even a SATA SSD is leagues faster than my HDD.

I hope that covers everything. Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

necrobobsledder posted:

When you won't expect to fill that space to about 80% (mostly for filesystem performance reasons rather than SSD related issues) before prices come down enough that you'll be upgrading and the decline in pricing won't make up the difference in sunk cost. In your position I'd get the smallest SATA SSD as necessary for day-to-day stuff and go up one size from there (eg. if you can fit Windows and web browsing and whatnot into 100 GB, go with a 256 GB), map larger bulk data onto the hard disk (Windows has junction points) and expect to upgrade everything completely in another two years tops and at that point a 2 TB M.2 NVMe SSD could totally be less than $250 by then.

Thanks for the sound advice. The only thing I can think of is I don't really run a lot of stuff (Except games) that I don't use all the time and most of them I would like to have the advantage of an SSD. My DAWs for example have HDD access for the audio files and whatnot so having quicker access would be a great boon. Just one of their project folders hit about 15GB. I'm pretty sure I could fit all my data into slightly less than 400GB, so it'd be a safe bet to just get a 500GB drive? I am aware I will need to upgrade all my hardware at some stage relatively soon, if just for the interface connectors (USB-C/TB3, M.2, etc) but at the moment I'm playing the waiting game, because aside from loading times on some programs that aren't games I am totally happy with the speed of my computer. To that end I really don't want to accidentally fill up a 500GB and start the process of moving everything to a side HDD. But if I can fit it all on 500GB and that's the most sensible option then I might go that route.