Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I've gone from my thinkpad T410 with an SSD and 1TB 7200RPM HGST drive to an X220 Tablet with (drum roll) my 60GB OCZ Agility 3 from 2011, which is the only available drive I own that can be made to be 7mm tall. I had to take it out of its housing to do that.

A 60GB drive is hell on earth, and I have no idea how it's still working.

Considering everything important on it will be backed up twice over, what's a good ~512GB mSATA drive? Are there any 1TB mSATAs that aren't an 850 Evo? I'm looking to save money. Speed isn't especially important as the slot only has SATA II.

If there's no cheap alternative there, I'll keep looking for a discounted 2.5" 1TB 850 evo on eBay. :shepface:

edit:

it won't die. everything that matters here is synced to Google Drive and Crashplan. once it rendered ntfs.sys unreadable in an effort to commit suicide and it magically recovered. it's the highlander of OCZs; it's the last one left.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Run a SMART test through Magician and check that no parameters are marked PRE-FAIL or FAIL. It should also give you a rough estimate to the health of the drive.

Gonna do this on my $269 "new" (open box) 1tb msata 850 and get some nice blackmail material for a partial refund if it's actually used

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

anyone have any experience setting up Intel Smart Response Technology to cache a hard drive? I'd like to set up the following storage setup based on me having salvaged an extra SSD (the Samsung):

• Windows OS drive with some programs (120GB Samsung 850 Evo)
  • Documents, bulky programs, and games, with a 64GB SRT cache partition (240GB Intel 530)
  • Bulk file storage, cached with SRT (4TB HGST Deskstar NAS)

I have an Asus Maximus VII Gene and will be running Windows 10 and Ubuntu; Ubuntu lives on its own SSD.

Will this work? How do I go about doing it? Will I need to reinstall Windows?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I remembered I had a spare 40gb SSD 330 lying around. now my computer has four SSDs and three of them are nestled in a snake nest of power cabling underneath the mobo.

successfully switched poo poo over from AHCI to RAID, got Windows to boot, may have nuked my Linux install, and set up SRT caching on the 40gb drive for the hard drive. it may be faster but i have no way of really telling

edit:

quote:

Cache sizing is not based on any hard and fast rule but a reasonable first estimate on the size of cache is 4x the amount of memory in the system.

I have 32 gigabytes of RAM and a 40GB cache SSD :shepface:

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 8, 2017