Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Welp I’m twelve hours into chkdsk /r on a four month old Samsung 970 Pro after one block started sending CRC errors to Windows. System’s running fine, but Macrium Reflect’s backup errors out and Samsung Magician’s various health checks could recognize the bad block and couldn’t do anything with it. (No SMART errors declared either) Genuinely wondering if it’s just Windows being stupid after some updates the other day.

Love this, I totally don’t have things I need to do on my computer today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

future ghost posted:

I had to RMA a 970 EVO that was doing something similar. Was getting Media and Integrity errors listed in SMART logs, and HDTune's error scan tab looked like a christmas tree with all the red block errors. Each time HDT found an error it created a corresponding disk error in event logs. Sent all of that to Samsung and they approved the RMA.
CRC errors on drives can also be caused by a cable, but that wouldn't apply to a NVME disk.

Whatever was hosed up it was a Windows problem. Ended up restoring from backups, there were never any issues with the drive itself in SMART or a chkdsk afterwards. Somehow it just hosed its own filesystem up. Yay!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Here's the smart info for the drive that had an error reported. After I restored from backup I ran the integrity check in Samsung Magician and it reported no errors when it did previously. I haven't bothered doing chkdsk again, but I could if you think it's really necessary.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

teagone posted:

Is Macrium Reflect Free version not avaialble on the Macrium website anymore? Or am I blind? Lol. I can't find a link to download it.

You can still download a 30 day trial of Home, which works for cloning SSDs fine I’d think.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

I have three 256GB NVMe SSDs kicking around in a drawer and I need to put one into a general purpose desktop, they are:
  • WD Blue SN500
  • Samsung SM961
  • SK Hynix PC711 (Lenovo part)
I'm aware for the use that they are going to get they are all identical and it doesn't really matter, but is there any one worth using above the others? I can't really see a site that lets you compare them but it looks like at least from synthetic benchmarks the SK Hynix is the one to go for. Does that sound sensible?

it sounds like you know you want to use the sk hynix and it also doesn't really matter, so use the sk hynix.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kliras posted:

with acer's upcoming orion sff case, you won't have to choose between hot swappable storage and m.2 drives!

the flap at the front is where you slot in the drive. pretty neat

that's a warp core ready to be ejected.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Looking for some recommends - I've got two 1TB SSD drives, one m2, one SATA, leaning towards getting another 1-2 TB SSD just so I don't have to worry about juggling game installs or where I save stuff too much. I assume I'll want a SATA drive since I only have the one m2 port on my mobo? (I assume there's like PCIE cards that give you more m2 slots but dont know if that's worth it?) Then also any recommends for an external, probably just HDD for backups just so I can worry a little less about losing important projects.

what's your motherboard? sometimes using a motherboard m.2 slot can turn off some sata ports, so it's important to check before you add that. (this isn't a thing on most recent boards but only one m.2 slot makes me think yours is a bit older)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ofecks posted:

I got my dumb M.2 screw kit in and put in the new NVMe (Samsung 970 EVO Plus). I noticed right away how much hotter this thing runs than my system drive (a 960 EVO). Apparently the thermal limit on the 970 Plus is 70ºC and, while I'm currently xferring all my storage drive data to it, it's hitting kinda close to that, in the low 60s. Is this a concern for longevity?

FWIW, my M.2 slots are: directly under the CPU cooler (system); directly under the GPU (storage). The former stays cool, the latter is worryingly hot. GPU, CPU, and ambient temps are all currently in the low-to-mid 30s. The GPU gets pretty hot when 3D gaming, that might be an issue going forward.

See what it's like in general usage, not when you're hitting it with a big data transfer to fill it up for the first time.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hasturtium posted:

I have an unorthodox workstation, and am looking at a reasonably ambitious upgrade to the sorta stodgy Samsung 870 256GB SATA SSD/4TB 3.5” Seagate HDD I’ve been running for the past couple of years. Bear with me.

I have a Raptor Computing Blackbird motherboard with an IBM Power9 CPU. In addition to a PCIe x16 slot (occupied by a Radeon RX 6600), it features a PCIe x8 slot. There are four SATA ports onboard but no NVMe, and the board does not support link bifurcation. What I’m thinking about (and which is verified compatible with the board) is a HighPoint Rocket 1204 controller board, into which I’ll pop a 512GB Western Digital SN770 I’ve had laying around nearly unused as the OS drive, and then grab a second 2TB drive for supplementary storage. That configuration would allow both drives to run at full speed; dropping in drives beyond that would halve the speed of the drives to stay within the limits of 8 PCIe lanes, so that’s something I’ll defer until later if I approach it again. What solid, zippy NVMe 2TB drive should I obtain to that end? If you have a better idea for my storage layout than 512GB/2TB, please let me know.

Thanks, goons, and happy New Year.

I think this is an Evilution set if you’re still trying Final Doomer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Smashing Link posted:

Is it OK that Amazon shipped my SSD without any padding? The box is about half the size of a shoebox. Outside of the SSD package is slightly scuffed.

Yes, presuming it was contained in the manufacturer’s package inside the box. SSDs are pretty resilient and the manufacturer’s box should contain a plastic case that protected it from any damage during shipping.