Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
i bought a Samsung 950 Pro m. 2 nvme, like the filthy consumerist whore i am, and I'm dual booting ubuntu and windows off it. It's in a Gigabyte Z170n-wifi, and after i select windows from the grub, theres a few seconds where a leading sign runs, and then windows boots almost immediately. I'm thinking of getting a ASUS Z170i Pro Gaming because it will give me more power to OC my i5 6600k. It has m.2 PCIE so it's compatible with my Samsung 950, but does anyone have any empirical evidence over how fast it POSTs, and how well it will behave with my drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Kaleidoscopic Gaze posted:

Ouch. Yeah, next time, read reviews meticulously before picking a motherboard, apparently that one has horrific issues with throttling. See if you can get a refund by one means or another and get either a Z170i Pro Gaming or an ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming ITX/ac

edit: Might wanna pick a different thread. Apart from mentioning your SSD, this is entirely a motherboard or mITX issue.

ok, thanks for the advice. in regards to picking another thread, if i rephrase the question, "is there a general consensus on how well different brands or types of nvme capable motherboards interact with those drives, or is it much of a muchness, and they're all much the same?"

much is a funny word