Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

M.2 is still currently a madhouse with sata-only/pci-only m.2 sockets and mobo manufacturers still not making up their mind on what type they want to keep using (ideally they should be both sata and pcie, but the pcb traces are comedy)

Can you elaborate on this? Every single ASRock, MSI and ASUS Z170 motherboard I could find (save one that had no M.2 slot at all) claims to support 'PCIe Gen3 x4/SATA' or 'both PCIe and SATA' mode or such. Is the problem only present in motherboards with lower end chipsets or am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
More to the point, doesn't it also use 4xPCIe/NVMe?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Not an 850 EVO, but a similar comparison. There's a stark bottleneck in sequential read/write:

...but you'll still get a huge improvement in random read/write over a HDD:

In particular, I believe 4K random reads are the most important metric for general Windows application performance, and that's where the 3 GB/s limits you the least. Besides, you're presumably going to upgrade your 5 year old computer before you replace the SSD anyway, so you might as well pick up an 850 EVO.

EDIT: I guess you retracted your question, but hopefully this is still useful?

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Sep 24, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
So how has the 600p been shaking out? Reviews seem sparse and nobody's talking about it. Did anyone here buy one?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Presumably they've already had the 970 for a while, upgrading from a 970 to a 1060 seems like a waste of money and effort.