Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Reading that new 960 announcement got me hankering for more speed, however until I build a new system and get off of the X79 platform I am pretty much limited to taking a PCI-E Slot to do it, or waiting for a new X99 or whatever replaced that build in the future.

Mainly I would like to replace the 4TB (2X2TB WD Black) drives in my system with SSD's but man anything over 1TB is just pricy as hell. Today Newegg has a deal on the (Evil?) 960G OCZ TR150 for $189 that is based on Toshibas stuff which never let me down when I did have Raid-0 Plextor M3P's (Also whats the deal with Plextor being in the crappile as well? The M3P's were fantastic for their time (also Toshiba based back then). Did they go off and become a crap brand around the M6 era or something?) and I have used 3 128G OCZ V3's from like 2013 or so that all still work to this day (amazingly, those are using the old controllers and everything... but they still hum along fine, somehow.)

Heck even my original first SSD from I think 2011 which was a Samsung based, Super Talent still works after years of service. Finally got the FW that adds Trim Support onto the bloody thing. The drive would get supper slow when it was close to full without it and the FW flash was destructive so I had to wait until I replaced it with the 2 Plextors in the machine that it was in. Still no errors and 98% life left.

One thing about SSD's that has me wondering. I remember reading about how SSD's aren't actually good for Long Term unpowered storage and wondered if there was any other writeup or research on this. I am interested in both USB Flash Storage as well as PC SSD storage if one day we stop using platter disk for semi backup duties and switch to flash in the long run, will we have a sort of time released bitrot on these things sooner than we think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea I think the 900 series is NVMe only while the 800 series is their SATA drives.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Looks like Plextor is trying to join the game with their new NVME offerings.

Performance looks comparable with the heatsink's, and there is a 5 year warranty which is good, but the price appears to be a step higher than the 960's. (About $20 or so) but there is additional savings with the Newegg promo code that brings it down on par. (-$60 promo code for the 1TB that brings it to $591 which is $20 below retail after tax even. Still $100 more than the EVO's however.

The 1TB without the heatsink was a -$40 promo code that brings it down to $580 after tax, but still, not sure what they are shooting for being $100 more than Samsungs NEW EVO's. :/

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 13, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It's early...

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Hell even Windows Backup can image the OS install and you can restore it to a same or bigger drive, then just expand the drive. Worked for my move from 2 Plextor M3P 128G drives to 2 500G Evos.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Looking at a ASUS X99 Deluxe II board, I see it has an Onboard M.2 4X slot, a addon card for another M.2 4X, and 2 NVME U.2 ports.

What the hell are the U.2 ports for? Are they some sort of next step from SATA since it seems to connect to standard looking 2.5" SDD's with a funky wide connector?

Also does anyone know if you can RAID those 2 M.2's (or U.2's) for SnG?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Grr. And this X99 Deluxe II has 2 U.2, 2 SATA Express (which luckily = 4 Normal SATA), and 2 M.2 with 1 on the board and 1 as a riser.

So they covered all the bases, but drat if it isn't a bit just throwing everything and the Kitchen Sink into this board, but nothing on the other boards. :/

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm gonna be upgrading to Windows 10 and doing a clean install on my Samsung 850. So according to the OP I don't need to bother with any additional drivers/utilities after I put the OS on right?

Depends on your Motherboard, Might want to look up the Storage Driver for your motherboard to make sure you have one of the latest for your motherboard (for performance reasons), but outside of that it should work out of the box just fine.

Since 8 Windows has had pretty good Native SSD support so Trim and other things are handled out of the gate.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Ars has some interesting graphs suggesting the 960 Pro's higher specs don't translate to a real world performance boost for PC users: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/10/samsung-960-pro-review-the-fastest-consumer-ssd-you-can-buy/3/ (last set of charts)

Yea I saw that too. I can believe it and wonder where the bottleneck lies that keeps the boot times and other things around the same time regardless of SSD used in their test?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

mythicknight posted:

I have an ancient OCZ Agility 3 60GB that's still chugging along in my home machine, which I'm pretty sure has long outlived its warranty. Maxed out its space within a month that of purchase back in 2011 and I've been too lazy/poor to upgrade it and transfer things over.

How big an improvement would I see in picking up a 1tb 850 Evo? I don't want to go any less than 1tb of space, but I'm not sure if I should wait longer for *fresh new product* that would be better for me or not. My board is from 2011 so no fancy m2/nvme slots. 2500k & Asus P8Z68-V PRO/Gen3, if it matters.

Performance should be noticeable as well as the freedom to not have to fit inside a 60G anymore.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I wonder how those Plextor NVME drives they just dropped with the Heat Spreaders on them, will compare against those 960's. If they can cool enough to keep consistent performance up unlike the 960's which ARS said will start to throttle around the 333GB range. Not like normal uses will have you pushing 333GB all the time, but any heat venting is better for long term reliability over none/a copper sticker I feel.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Reinstall windows 10. Clean install will probably fix your poo poo. Sounds like driver woes to me.

You don't need a windows 10 disk, just a USB and a windows 10 ISO from Microsoft's website. Plenty of guides on how to make a bootable windows 10 USB.

He doesn't even need to do that, if he can reboot into the boot menu (just reset the pc as it's "booting" 3 times, unless there is another way to get there that I still don't know of since they killed the old F8 method) then he can just "Restore" the system which is the same as a system reinstall (As long as he chooses to not keep his files).

Though if you do want to do a full clean install, format drives, etc. The 10 USB method is pretty easy as well if you have a working other system.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

They switched from a Samsung battery supplier to another supplier and still had the same issue. It wasn't the batteries that were flawed.

I don't think it was the batteries themselves, but more the way they were trying to force the size of battery into the space it had in the Note. Crimping edges of the battery as it was put together which cause either battery manufacture's battery to end up burning.

The only way around that would have been them changing the phones internal design (unlikely) or go to a smaller battery (why they didn't just do this instead of eating the entire Note lineup is a bit puzzling to me.)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

poo poo happens when you do mass layoffs of all the older/talented people that knew what was going on.

Its been a clusterfuk here for a ton of departments since ACT. Ugh

Oh and Intel is now a Software Company, didn't you know... :suicide:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Neon Belly posted:

Thankfully I have pretty good Internet and no cap, so no need to ever store a Steam game :)

Unlike me.

2x 2TB HDD's Raid-0 for most of my Steam stuff. Still not enough. :(

And if I want to download something modern to play, start download, go do something else for 1+Hrs.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

850 Evo should do you just fine. Unfortunate about your Sandisk but after only a year, it almost seems like something is blitzing the writes on the drive that caused it to wear out so fast if that is truly what it did.

I'd do what you are doing, backup everything and RMA the drive, then do a Clean install of Windows 10 and keep an eye on what you are installing and what might be accessing your drive so much in task manager, hwinfo32 (to see total writes) and the Samsung software maybe to just check in on things.

Thats what it sounds like happened, if the remaining reserve space is indeed at such a low number.

Also I like to underprovision my used drive space just a little to give the drive even more breathing room even though it is almost not needed on the newer drives. So as a 250G like that, I would set the usable partition space to 220G (with a little extra for the extra partitions Windows makes, but you can adjust the size to round the number in Windows after if you want too and are a little OCD about it like me lol).

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Wonder when the 960 evos are going to ship. Got my 1tb ordered from samsung for ~$390 during the glitch yesterday.

Where was this glitch posted? Thanks Buddy. :P

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Being :canada: money, I'd say that is a great deal right there.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The problem you are running into even with SATA drives is the transfer speeds are faster than the storage controller/memory system seems to be able to shuffle everything around, so we are finally out of the wait time of the HDD and now have other bottlenecks holding things up.

You might gain a second or two in booting/BF4, but next to say a SATA EVO 850 (or Raid 0 850's even) you aren't going to load that much faster with a PCI-E SSD. The jump from a HDD to a EVO isn't happening again between SATA-PCI-E. (From Old SATA early Gen1/2 SSD's maybe).

Sequential data transfers and stuff will go up sure hence why the benchmarks seem to favor them, but if you look elsewhere in the benchmarks (say any review talking about the 950 vs 960) the performance of actual usage scenarios is practically the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Siochain posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Visiontek SSD's that Dell sells? Specs look okay, but as we all know, specs are a lie anyways.
Trying to get pricing for replacing HDD's with SSD's in about 30-50 user systems, and Dell's already a setup vendor, so buying from them is easy. But, if the drives are garbage, I'll push for alternatives.
I just can't seem to find much online about them, which worries me.

VisionTek has a good warranty, and have been in the SSD game since a bit before AMD started selling their own brand SSD's and RAM.

They aren't hugely known but I would gather, worth a shot.