Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Salted_Pork posted:

i bought a Samsung 950 Pro m. 2 nvme, like the filthy consumerist whore i am, and I'm dual booting ubuntu and windows off it. It's in a Gigabyte Z170n-wifi, and after i select windows from the grub, theres a few seconds where a leading sign runs, and then windows boots almost immediately. I'm thinking of getting a ASUS Z170i Pro Gaming because it will give me more power to OC my i5 6600k. It has m.2 PCIE so it's compatible with my Samsung 950, but does anyone have any empirical evidence over how fast it POSTs, and how well it will behave with my drive?

I'd replace my CPU long before I replaced my motherboard, it's a terrible use of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sab669 posted:

What are the symptoms of a dying SSD?

I've had a Samsung EVO 840 (120GB) for at least 4 years, maybe a little longer.

I just upgraded my mobo (Z170 FTW), CPU (i5-6500), and RAM (8GB DDR4) and finished the build. I can boot to my desktop (Windows 10) but I can do gently caress all from there.

If I try to launch any application, nothing happens. If I press Ctrl Alt Del, the blue lock screen comes up immediately, but if I click Task Manager I'm returned to my desktop and nothing opens.

I can open my Start Menu and if I go to Shut Down, nothing happens.

Ctrl Alt Del again and choose Shut Down or Restart from that little button in the bottom right corner and I'm taken to a blue screen with the loading icon that says "Shutting Down" and it just hangs there forever.

I had Windows 7 and "upgraded" to 10 so I don't even have a Windows 10 disc to boot to.

Does this sound like a dying drive?

Reinstall windows 10. Clean install will probably fix your poo poo. Sounds like driver woes to me.

You don't need a windows 10 disk, just a USB and a windows 10 ISO from Microsoft's website. Plenty of guides on how to make a bootable windows 10 USB.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Neon Belly posted:

I know the answer is usually to just buy the 850 EVO, but a friend offered me a lightly used 840 500gb for $50 (sat in his ps4 that he rarely used). This is an easy yes, right?

Magician:

Incredibly easy yes.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So I have a question.

My stepfather wants to add either the 960 PRO or 960 EVO to his P50 workstation.

However, the following article gives me pause:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Can-I-add-a-Samsung-950-Pro-NVMe-SSD-to-my-P50-ThinkPad/ta-p/3459369

To what extent do I, and by extension he, need to be worried about the lack of NVMe device power management and NVMe device thermal management?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The 960s incorporate a copper heatspreader layer on the backside to handle thermals better.

So the laptop will see the NVMe drive and the lack of "device power management" and "device thermal management" will not, to your knowledge, cause any issues?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Okay, second question.

I have two spare PCI-e slots on my motherboard and 8 256gb mSATA SSDs lying around that I'm, frankly, never going to use in a laptop or desktop and never going to be able to sell. I'm probably only going to be putting games on there, so I don't care much about data loss one way or another.

Is my best option one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/Syba-mSATA-Components-Other-SD-PEX40079/dp/B00KKO6N98

It's a 4 port mSATA raid card. Never used raid before and care more about capacity than I do data security. Is this the sort of thing I should be looking at? I can't seem to find any cheaper or better alternatives.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 23, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

You basically want to make a bigass bank of otherwise-useless mSATA drives because why not? That's awesome.

Looks like your bandwidth limitation by the PCIe 2.0 x4 connector of the card is going to be 2 GB/s. Not that it'll actually give you that; it is using a Marvell 88SE9230 controller. I am seeing people getting that controller as high as 450MB/s in other SSD+RAID configurations.

You'll basically have an aggregate SATA SSD that performs like....an okay SATA SSD.

Cautionary note: with every mSATA device you throw in there, you're increasing the risk of failure on a straight curve. Still, that looks like a hilarious & fun thing to try out if you have the money to burn and spare time. WHat are the 8 mSATA drives, if you don't mind my asking? Some napkin math may help show whether risk vs reward is worth the $76 price of that card.

Basically that's about right!

It's a bunch of (working) ripped OEM drives from Dell ultrabooks. Same model and part numbers I believe. I did IT/tech support work for awhile at a digital marketing agency and we have a three year upgrade cycle, so there were a ton of othewise perfectly workable drives that we were throwing away due to a lack of, ironically, storage space.

I look at it as $76 for effectively a 1TB SSD that's admittedly unreliable, but if I'm just tossing a bunch of big open world games on there that otherwise eat gigabytes of storage space... eh? Does it really matter that there's a big risk of data loss at that price? And I still have 4 backup drives in that case to substitute in, so it's hardly the end of the world if one of them breaks and I need to reinstall a drive and everything on it. I have no data caps and a 100 MB/s (not Mb/s!) download speed.

Figure it's a reasonable cost for what I'm getting, and as much as I bemoan my ridiculous ATX case/motherboard, at least this way I'm getting some use outta it.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 23, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

priznat posted:

drat that's a nice price. In :canada: the X400 1TB can be had for $319 at NCIX but that is the pre Black Friday sale and the actual one might be better. The 850 Evo is $110 more (prices CAD).

Still eyeing one for a steam/games disk.

The 850 EVO is better than the x400, but it's sure as hell not $110 better.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Mephistopheles posted:

Can I put a Samsung 850 evo 500gb m.2 SATA drive in this laptop and expect it to work?

No. It's an NVME drive. Dell's website doesn't specify but every review of the laptop does. You'll want a 960 evo,which is a fair bit more expensive I'm afraid.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

850 evo is not an nvme drive.

That's odd - I checked a few reviews of that model and they all said that the drive was NVME? In that case I'd recommend a NVME drive even if sata drives are compatible in case there's bios or driver issues.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Arcturas posted:

Goddamnit. Am I completely hosed, or can I fix this? I bought the Crucial MX300. Apparently I bought the laptop version. I have a desktop, with full cages for regular sized desktop hard drives. So the tiny SSD doesn't snap in to my removable hard drive trays. Can I just plug the SSD into my SATA system and have it work while I order some plastic spacer bullshit that will fill the empty space? Or do I need to get a whole new drive?

Quickedit: For reference, I bought this drive. I figured since it was SATA I was okay. But I'm Bad At Computers (TM).

You are not hosed, nor is there any need to fix it. You can literally put a SSD anywhere, there's no moving parts. Hell, tape it to the side of your desktop if you want. It'll work just fine.

As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure that there aren't any 3.5in SSDs. Like I don't think they exist.

I am, however, rather surprised that your case doesn't have mounting holes for the drive. Still, you can just toss it in there, no need for plastic spacers or anything. I have like 3 SSDs in my case that are just lying around not taped or screwed into anything.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Hadlock posted:

So for a mid range gaming PC/laptop is the Evo 960 the best bet these days? Last time I checked the Evo 8 series was the go to consumer range. I would like a good deal but I don't need to pay the cheapest price.

It depends. The 960 EVO is a NVMe drive and accordingly expensive. The 850 EVO comes in M.2 and 2.5in formats, and is SATA 3, not NVMe. That is to say it's significantly less expensive.

The Sandisk x400 is generally cheaper than the 850 EVO and about as good.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Alchenar posted:

I mean the other reason is that I'm gonna have 30-40gb just sitting free on the first drive and it'll bug me for the obvious OCD reasons but I can live with that.

Reduce the volume size in computer management?

Or learn to live with it. Windows does not like getting full, and SSDs require 10-20% free space to not blow up and die.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Dante80 posted:

Building a rig, want an M.2 for OS and some programs/games.

I am looking at those three.

960 EVO
960 PRO
MP500

Which one should I choose? I don't know much about them. Any other models to consider?

Clarify first - do you want a NVMe drive or just a drive in the M.2 form factor? The former are significantly faster, but this isn't super apparent in daily use and they are significantly more expensive. If you just care about the form factor, I'd recommend the Sandisk x400 or the Samsung 850 EVO. Do note however, that you'll need to check with your motherboard manufacturer to make sure that it supports SATA M.2 drives, as not all do. Similarly, if you want a NVMe drive, make sure that it supports NVMe M.2 drives, as again, not all motherboards do.

Other than that, go for the 960 EVO. There're very few reasons for a consumer to get a PRO drive.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Is there any recommended method for cloning an SSD to a larger SSD? I'm replacing my 250 GB 850 EVO with a 1 TB MX500.

Don't?

I mean you'll be fine either way but tbh it just seems simpler to back up what you care about to gdrive or an external hdd and do a reimage. You don't need to worry about partitions, alignment or any of that, and it's good to "refresh" your PC every once in awhile. You'd be shocked how much stuff you have on there that you probably don't need, stored in a million different places.

E: my advice also applies to buddy with the long loaf times on initial boot

Also let's you totally narrow down if the problem is software or hardware.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 16, 2018

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

numerrik posted:

Pc part picker says the mobo m2 slot shares bandwidth with a sata 6.0 gb/s port and that when the m2 slot is populated one sata port will be disabled, if this is my only hd in the machine will this be a problem?

Nope.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

numerrik posted:

Manufacturers specs list the nvme compatibility as boot disk only. I assume I’ll need something else then if I only want one drive?

Obviously not, your only drive is your boot drive by necessity.

You almost certainly don't need an nvme drive but it will work fine.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Is there any way to migrate Windows 10 from a 1TB SSD to a 500GB M.2 SSD? I can't just do a clone because the current drive is larger. I also don't want to migrate everything, just the OS, a few apps, and some code.

If it's just the OSD, a few apps, and some code then just do a clean image. A reimage does a computer good every now and again, it's comparable in time to a migration accounting for research and troubleshooting, and depending on your apps and code...

In any event if you want to migrate than just shrink the partition down to under 500gb and use clonezilla or acronis

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Level Slide posted:

All signs pointing toward getting a new SSD. That Samsung 860 EVO looks really nice. I'll only really use it for the OS, the browser, and maybe a couple Steam games, am I right in assuming 250gb is more than enough?

It's like $35 more just get the 500gb

250 gets real cramped for an OS drive

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Klyith posted:

m.2 SATA drives are a dumb investment and a trap for the ill-informed enthusiast consumer

This might be the dumbest take

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Atomizer posted:

I just did another SSD upgrade, it was an HDD cloned to a new m.2 drive so the SSD was being added while the HDD remains for game storage. Is there any way to force Windows to boot from the SSD without having to disconnect the HDD first? It's not a matter of boot order in the BIOS; Windows is still configured to boot from the original drive until it's no longer present. I didn't want to disconnect the HDD because it was staying in the system, and had already closed up the laptop after checking to make sure all the hardware worked (but before trying to boot from the new SSD.)

Windows isn't configured to do anything until it boots first - wipe the HDD, boot order in BIOS, you're fine.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Atomizer posted:

Well that's a little more difficult to do because like I said it's only booting from the HDD, and you can't wipe the current system drive, so basically then it's either: unplug the HDD, boot from SSD, then plug the HDD in again, or you have to boot to any OS via a USB device to wipe the HDD and go from there. It didn't matter if the boot order was already changed in the BIOS to go to the SSD first, it would always go from the HDD.

Just use gparted on a usb. Or hit F8/F10/F12 or whatever it is for your system to get to the boot menu, manually choose the SSD to boot from that.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

M.2 SATA is also occasionally the same price as the 2.5" options.

It all depends on what you have available. If you've spare m.2 slots, go with m.2 sata. If you've spare 2.5" slots, go with 2.5". If you've spare of both, go with whatever you want. Who the gently caress cares?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

fresh installs are easier and simpler and it's always good to do what amounts to a full cleaning of your local setup.

but it really doesn't matter too much. You can always use clonezilla or macrium or Acronis or FOG one of the billion different tools to rip and deploy an image.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Lockback posted:

I saw a pretty noticeable difference between my samsung 840 evo and the Adata 8200, but I think that's just because the 840 evo is a crappy SSD.

Wasn't nearly the difference from even a good HDD and my crappy 840 evo though.

haha I remember when the 840 EVO was top of the litter for SSDs. Oh how times (and prices!) change.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

redeyes posted:

It generally works fine.

This is true but it's also true that backing up your important poo poo to the cloud and reimaging your OS every now and again is just good practice. May as well take the opportunity.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

After some stress, I got the WD Blue 1TB installed into my computer. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be showing up, even after checking Disk Management. Is it possible I did something wrong with the connections?

A quick reference to my hardware:

EDIT: The problem might be the SATA cable, as I think we used an older type of cable instead of a SATA III (I didn't little release clips or whatever atop the plugs that are on the other ones), but I have to check.

See if it shows up in the BIOS or a live CD. That'll isolate the problem to Windows (it shows up) or your installation (it doesn't).

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

zhar posted:

Thanks, I think the gamble is not worth the cost of the donor drive.

I did back up the essential stuff, but there was some sensitive info on it. So, how does one securely dispose of a broken drive?

A drill and a hammer is the best and most practical way.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

LITE-ONs are/were well-regarded in the ripping/burning community since they were rather easy to mod to get around F/W locks. I've an ASUS DVD-R/W in my old machine that I went out of my way to get and equip because of its legendary ripping capabilities, because I used to have a Netflix BR subscription.

I own like, four Blu-Rays, and three of them are Venture Brothers seasons. Womp womp. Let others break the law, I'll stick with the illegality that just carries a fine if I'm stupid enough to not purge/zero my NAS before the IP Police come calling.

destruction of evidence is a much bigger crime than copyright infringement and illegal torrenting fyi

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

If I have a 2.5" SATA 500 GB Samsung 850 Evo, aside from more space is there performance gains I could be getting by looking into a Black Friday upgrade? Is there a go to?

Depends on your usecase but if you have to ask, no you don't need a performance upgrade. Sata 3 SSDs are more than fast enough for the vast majority of usecases on PC and you would be hard pressed to notice a difference in real world use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Kane posted:

If money isn't an issue, is it a good idea to get an Optane 0.5-1tb drive for Windows/general purpose computing/gaming or is it overkill? Will the difference be felt? (I despise all computer lags in every part of the process)

No