Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So uh how do you cool your m.2 drives? I have a 500gb 960 evo on Asus maximus x hero, in the 1st m.2 slot between gpu and cpu. That doesn't seem to be a good place, temps are over 40 while idling and 60C while gaming.

Would the 2nd m.2 slot be better near the sata ports? It's clear of heat-producing components at least. Or do you use an pcie 4x adapter card like https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=3399 ? I have some extra gpu ram heatsinks I could slap onto the m.2 drive then.

The only problem with that adapter is that the pci slot cover is non-perforated. They have a more expensive "evo" model with honeycomb perforations and some included heatsinks, but the included heatsinks looked like big crap pieces of metal which don't have that much surface area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The case is Silverstone Raven 2, with 90 degrees rotated motherboard and three 180mm fans on bottom, regular tower cooler blowing towards top of the case. I'll try moving that ssd first.. but I need to remove cpu cooler for that. So I'll wait till my delidding tools come so I don't need to remove the cooler twice -,-

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I bought a 840 evo to my parents pc when that ssd was new. How important it is to upgrade the firmware? Should I just toss the ssd because it might lose data at some point, and replace it with something else?

Or is the problem only with ssd speeds?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

Updating the firmware and not worrying any more about it is what I did. Nowhere have I seen that the issues it had would extend to data loss, it was always the speeds dipping really badly. After the firmware update that doesn't seem to happen anymore.

But gently caress, have backups on principle. Any SSD can crap out without warning. As can HDDs occasionally.

I have setup offline backups. My parents refuse to use cloud backups out of principle. I'm just wondering if 840 went to the ibm deathstar levels of reliability.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I bought a 3.84TB Samsung PM983. It was 540€ so around £480.

M.2 22x110mm form factor TLC ssd. It should be fast enough to replace my 3TB spinner from 2013. That one is slow.. and super noisy. #1 noisiest component in my pc.

QVO is slow as balls and I didn't want to spend on regular sata ssd:s anymore in case they become way too slow in next 5+ years.

Has anyone used Samsung's business oriented ssd's? PM983 at least has onboard capacitors to let the drive write the cache to disk even in case of power failure.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I bought it from https://www.jacob.de - I bought a b.die memory kit from them in 2017 and they still seem to be around so they can:t be that bad! Even many shops in Finland sold those, but the prices in Germany were over 100€ cheaper.

I guess I have to get a 22x110mm heatsink though, apparently those drives run quite hot (they probably don't have power saving features).

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

QLC nand? Doesn't that have write speeds like 150MB/s but they fake it's faster with a SLC write cache?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The 3.84TB PM983 came. Cloned my hdd to ssd with Acronis, no problems. Now my PC is really quiet, the difference in noise between an old 7200rpm WD and a ssd is unbelievable. Did some basic crystaldiskmarks with my ssd's:

m.2 960 evo

m.2 pm983

sata 850 evo

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My 3.84TB Samsung PM983 M.2 pcie3 ssd has been working fine. No problems. The advertised endurance is 5400TBW so it should take a while to get there with my regular desktop usage.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

If you need a SSD.. the time to buy might be now:

"With the emergence of the Chia cryptocurrency, miners in China are frantically snatching up every piece of hard drive and SSD. Unlike other cryptocurrencies, you don't mine Chia with a processor, graphics card or ASIC miner. Instead, you farm Chia with storage space, which is where hard drives or SSDs come in.

Unlike Bitcoin, which is based on proof of work, Chia utilizes a proof of space and time model."

Edit: my PM983's price is up 100€ already. Bought one 3 months ago.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 17, 2021

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Buy a Samsung PM983 if QLC is too exciting. It has DRAM and TLC, 3.84TB M.2 nvme was 550€ in January. It's pcie 3.0 tho. Games load fast enough for me now. Now it feels like the 8700K is the limiter in load times. I had to undo the OC and revert back to stock because CPU was running at 85C+. Now it runs 10-15C cooler. The 14nm legacy tech chip simply produces too much heat during these hot summers which the air cooler can't dissipate fast enough.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jul 13, 2021

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Just make sure your m.2 slot has the extra room if you snag the 3.84TB version. It's wider than typical m.2 drives.

Meaning it is 11cm long instead of usual 8cm or so. I did not have extra slots so I had to buy a pcie riser card anyways.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, it's a 21110 drive, but the 3.84TB SKU is also *wider* than the average m.2 drive at 30.5mm compared to the usual 22mm on typical 2280s.

Even at the discounted price for the drive, it makes sense to make sure any slot you're going to try and put it in has the extra clearance, or, as the OP said, invest in a riser card.

Huh, didn't know about that one :v:

How am I supposed to figure out how wide M.2 ssd's fit to a motherboard?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

God dammit. Are there any drives that haven't had their components quietly swapped out for inferior ones after reviews?

Maybe enterprise drives like PM983? Hopefully? No one looks at those tho. I think my 4TB M.2 PM983 has advertised TBW of 5400.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 30, 2021

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

DrDork posted:

Enterprise ones won't swap parts because there's all sorts of hilarious contractual stuff that enterprise customers use them for that would flip their poo poo out if that happened. But now you're paying $$$ for an enterprise drive when you could be paying $$ for a simply higher-tier consumer drive and end up with better performance at a lower cost anyhow.

Thanks, that is reassuring to know! My M.2 PM983 was 550€ for 3.84TB. PCIE 3.0. So it is 143€/TB. Samsung 2TB consumer NVME's aren't really cheaper per TB, and I don't think they make 4TB consumer drives. At least that was the situation when I was looking for a larger NVME drive.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I use always the lowest m.2 slots on motherboard first. gently caress putting the ssd behind GPU and CPU.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My CPU temps are around 50-60C when gaming, GPU is ~70C. I just noticed my m.2 ssd's are both like 54-58C, probably because they have a heatsink and the heatsinks warm up because of GPU's heat output. I have 6x 14mm case fans and they move quite a lot of air, but apparently the GPU's 350W heat output is enough to warm up components on the motherboard.

Should I try to remove the heatsinks and hope the SSD's run cooler? Are there some "safe" temps for m.2 SSD's I should follow? Perhaps I should get a PCIE riser card and put it above GPU? Thanks.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I determined that the heatsinks were helping. My case ventilation was lacking. I took dust filters out from the 3 140mm front fans, and now the temps are only 51C :-o Magical. Well the Hair Jesus says dust filters are so yesterday's news so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have a quite old 1TB Sata SSD from Samsung. Is the 990 pro series good enough? A 4TB M.2 model is 320€, and I paid around that for the old ssd. It would be for games and stuff, and I care more about reliability and size than speed.