Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
IDE SATA? Didn't IDE drives use PATA? Also great OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I could never understand people who keep hundreds of tabs open. Most content these days expires an hour after it's generated so 3/4 of those will become 404s or session expires

Not everyone uses clickbait Web 3.0 sites.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.techspot.com/news/66635-western-digital-returns-ssd-market-launches-green-blue.html

Sandisk got bought? I didn't even know.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's no point to these drives at those prices.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wilford Cutlery posted:

"Performance looks, comparable with the heatsink's, and..." Did you leave something out?

I think he just added extra punctuation by accident.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is the 850 EVO Samsung the same Samsung as the Note 7 Samsung?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The only thing they have in common is that the NAND for the Note 7 (not what made it explode) was made by the same people who make the EVO. I don't even know if Samsung made the batteries that made the Note 7s explode, and there's a chance the reason they did is that they went 'cheap and fast' to beat the iPhone 7 to market instead of 'slow, steady, and safe.'

They switched from a Samsung battery supplier to another supplier and still had the same issue. It wasn't the batteries that were flawed.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EdEddnEddy posted:

I don't think it was the batteries themselves, but more the way they were trying to force the size of battery into the space it had in the Note. Crimping edges of the battery as it was put together which cause either battery manufacture's battery to end up burning.

The only way around that would have been them changing the phones internal design (unlikely) or go to a smaller battery (why they didn't just do this instead of eating the entire Note lineup is a bit puzzling to me.)

Because the current speculation (afaik) was that it's not the batteries at all, it's probably something with the charging/power delivery design that's flawed. They went up in flames no matter which batteries or if they were charging or not.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

This deal just keeps getting worse all the time.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ynglaur posted:

Apple: It's so easy, you have no clue what it's actually doing

It just works!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you don't have 24 SSDs in RAID0...

https://youtu.be/eULFf6F5Ri8

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Second Sun posted:

Some boards with 2 m.2 slots restrict each to PCIE x2 instead of x4 when both are in use, so that's another thing to weary of.

I'm weary of a great many things these days.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My old P5Q Premium has 4 Ethernet ports.

I keep telling myself I'll use it as a router someday.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I think the best, most noble use for these old things is to suicide run overclock them. A volt modded viking funeral.

Mine doesn't OC worth a drat, which is probably why it was open box. I needed a replacement for my dad gigabyte board.

Right now it's my NAS.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jago posted:

Welp... I have benchmarks for the intel 600p 1TB.

This is on a Z270 board with a 7700K. I'm pretty sure I have all the relevant drivers and whatnot installed. I can do another test if people are interested. I'll have the thing for at least another 24 hours.

You should at least put a tab in the background entitled "How to take a screenshot" if you're gonna do this gag...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ynglaur posted:

So you're saying it won't hurt my gaming rig, are you...and it has high numbers...

I'll take fifty.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ynglaur posted:

RAID 10 for your gaming rig, I assume.

Three RAID 5 arrays striped in Windows

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I only take tips from LinusTechTips, the premiere media group for technology.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WhyteRyce posted:

Wasn't someone here adamant that there is no NAND shortage and it was just clickbait

Just alternative facts

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I still don't trust Macrum Reflect. It has never worked for me :negative:

These days I say "gently caress it" and use clonezilla and gparted to make sure poo poo works right.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Access latencies are still a lot longer on SSDs than RAM, afaik. I definitely wouldn't rely on virtual memory to make up for missing RAM.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

priznat posted:

Lol look at this dumb poo poo

240 or 480GB in massive idiotic aic :rolleyes:

Why would I want an A1 upper on my SSD? Clearly a flattop is superior

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

priznat posted:

Slap an aimpoint on there and GTG

No irons? You'll be dead in the streets

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

priznat posted:

45deg backups brah

With a red dot? Co witness or get some magnification man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Volguus posted:

I don't expect anyone to have a mission-critical home server. Mission-critical sits in a datacenter. At home ... is anything but that.

Joke's on you I live in a data center :colbert: