Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I really like the stuff gleaned from IMFT's Utah facility and 3D XPoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
What capacity was the 750 in this test? I couldn't tell because it looked like only a small partition of it showed up on Windows.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Salted_Pork posted:

i bought a Samsung 950 Pro m. 2 nvme, like the filthy consumerist whore i am, and I'm dual booting ubuntu and windows off it. It's in a Gigabyte Z170n-wifi, and after i select windows from the grub, theres a few seconds where a leading sign runs, and then windows boots almost immediately. I'm thinking of getting a ASUS Z170i Pro Gaming because it will give me more power to OC my i5 6600k. It has m.2 PCIE so it's compatible with my Samsung 950, but does anyone have any empirical evidence over how fast it POSTs, and how well it will behave with my drive?

Even your little Mini-ITX Gigabyte Z170N has plenty of power to overclock. whoops didn't know about the issues. Anyways, with regards to POSTing faster, have you checked your options for Fast Boot? There's at least one in Memory/RAM settings and probably one elsewhere in the BIOS menu somewhere if you search. Also, Gigabyte has a little Windows desktop app for Fast Boot too, though you'd have to install their APP Center first: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5518#utility

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 15, 2016

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Yeah unless the 950 Pro you got was on sale you might want to cancel that order if you still can

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

The difference in performance may not be readily apparent at first and may need to be measured on the axis of latency at some point. I know it's a "1.0" kind of product and could only have gotten so far (System accelerator 2.0 will be over PCIe3 x4 lanes), but I don't expect IMFT to sell something absolutely 100% snake oil right off the bat. It'd make a poor first impression.

... Said the guy with the Broadwell-C machine :negative:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Dali Parton posted:

What kind of situations cause overheating? I just play videogames so I'd say that's a pretty common use.

Here we go again

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

redeyes posted:

Samsung has new MicroSD cards that have UFS tech which is basically SSD speeds in a MicroSD. I'd definitely get one of those when they become available.

Uhhhhhh don't you need a USB adapter that can use the UFS standard and a USB port that can handle the throughput (which the surface does have)????

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
It does, but then that card reader has to support UFS as well

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

td4guy posted:

Look closely. UFS is a different form factor than microSD. A UFS card will not fit in a microSD slot.

That's also incorrect. A UFS microSD card is backwards compatible with microSD card readers. No form factor difference between this:

and this:

The real difference is the extra flush contacts on the back for card readers with UFS-compatible pins.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Because I thought you were all talking about UHS-I (which Samsung has also made microSD cards for) or UHS-II
and not UFS :negative:

The key term in the article there is

quote:

new microSD-like card

Not "new microSD card"

I need to find a new way to play off my ignorance as humorous or anything remotely worth reading

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 3, 2017

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
While we're wary of how Optane marries users to the Intel ecosystem, how well are the alternatives doing? Is Samsung, for example, optimistic enough about their first-generation Z-NAND performance to take the crown? Or is it something like an interim technology in an attempt to prevent Intel from getting too many years ahead on that sweet sweet storage-memory hybrid market?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

WhyteRyce posted:

The AIC Optanes don't marry you to any ecosystem except for the Star Citizen ones

oh poo poo

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Rebounding back from this with what looks like almost-SSD-sized Optane storage in M.2 format: https://www.pcper.com/news/Storage/CES-2108-Intel-Launches-Optane-800p-M2-2280-SSDs-60120GB-Capacities

Max capacity 120GB

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Using Windows 7 in the year 2019 sounds kind of painful

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

codo27 posted:

The apple ecosystem is basically the same as smoking. You make the fatal error of starting in the first place, then you continue to be punished with each purchase.

It's worse, because you're coached to blame yourself for a product breaking or not meeting your needs, and the real causes of dissatisfaction are much easier to hide than the surgeon general's reports of poisons in tobacco

brand cults are fun

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I mean, to be fair, it is as simple to quit as not buying a thing. But for some people, the feeling of inadequacy from not keeping up with the latest fashions can be crippling

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

WhyteRyce posted:

Going to lol if crypto becomes the killer app for Optane ssd adoption

Glad I panic bought that extra M.2 slot 905P when Intel announced the discontinuation!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Cygni posted:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/western-digital-in-advanced-talks-to-merge-with-kioxia-in-20-billion-plus-deal-11629914820

So for those keeping track:

Toshiba and SanDisk were partners decades ago. SanDisk had MLC (and later QLC) tech, Toshiba had money and fabs.

In 2005, Toshiba bought Westinghouse, the nuclear power company (stay with me here). Then Fukushima happened and a bunch of nuke deals fell apart, and Westinghouse's losses got so bad that Toshiba spun off its memory division, and then sold a majority to a vulture capital firm in order to offset its Westinghouse losses. That group changed their name to Kioxia.

Meanwhile, WD fell so behind in the NAND game that they completely cancelled their own SSD production, and then bought their old friend down the street SanDisk in 2016.

WD and Kioxia then announced a big joint venture to make a bunch of new facilities, renewing the old partnership.

Now WD (ex-SanDisk) is gonna try to buy its old partner Kioxia (ex-Toshiba) outright.

What a saga.
nice

So tracing this back, are the ex-Toshiba fabs still there? Also out of curiosity, where are they located?