Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You can, but you need to have backups of any encrypted data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Officially official

http://www.overclock3d.net/news/storage/samsung_has_announced_their_960_pro_and_960_evo_nvme_m_2_ssds/1

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The SSD Thread - Buy a 960 evo

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

metallicaeg posted:

Ordering a 512GB 950 tonight :dukedoge:

Between this silly fast SSD, 4x4GB of RAM, a 4790k, and a GTX970 I'm thinking this build will be done for a while

The thread consensus is still either format the drive to capacity and leave space open, or format to smaller than capacity and go hog wild, right?

Dude the 960's should be out within weeks.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Concurred posted:

How soon are we talking? They were just announced late September and I'm finalizing my build next week. I was gonna go with an Intel 750 or 600.

"mid october" is the only thing official.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

s.i.r.e. posted:

Man a 2TB would be nice but jesus. I'm glad we're at the point though, prices are only gonna fall from here... right?

These are msrp, id expect amazon/newegg to be a good bit cheaper.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ItBurns posted:

How much faster is the 960 Evo compared to the 850/840? Is the 960 that much faster, even on paper, that it's as big of a deal as its being made out to be? I looked at some reviews but I wasn't 100% on which metrics were comparable.

Yes

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Knifegrab posted:

Are the 850 EVO M.2's worth it? They seem like they're in a really great place right now price wise.

Unless you need the physical chassis space I would just get the regular version. They will perform the same.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

EdEddnEddy posted:

Looking at a ASUS X99 Deluxe II board, I see it has an Onboard M.2 4X slot, a addon card for another M.2 4X, and 2 NVME U.2 ports.

What the hell are the U.2 ports for? Are they some sort of next step from SATA since it seems to connect to standard looking 2.5" SDD's with a funky wide connector?

Also does anyone know if you can RAID those 2 M.2's (or U.2's) for SnG?

They were like sata express, a connector nobody used.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

In windows i typically install the latest intel chipset drivers and intel rapid storage.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The X400 is so good enough its really hard for me to recommend the 850 evo anymore for people.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

960 pros up on amazon. 512gb showing oct 30 and 1tb showing nov 6th.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ditch the 120gb and just use the 500gb.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Wonder when the 960 evos are going to ship. Got my 1tb ordered from samsung for ~$390 during the glitch yesterday.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

EdEddnEddy posted:

Where was this glitch posted? Thanks Buddy. :P

Most deal sites. Basically you can get a 10% off coupon (which you still can i think just by browsing the samsung store) and then you could also go to the employment price enrollment site, put it in a random samsung email and you got employee pricing (which stacked with the 10% off) But it got patched after a few hours.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The Iron Rose posted:

No. It's an NVME drive. Dell's website doesn't specify but every review of the laptop does. You'll want a 960 evo,which is a fair bit more expensive I'm afraid.

850 evo is not an nvme drive.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Nothing major, except: it being heresy the cost / ease of removal being worse then a cabled sata drive.

You'd have to remove the m2 sata drive if you ever wanted to add a significantly faster nvme drive instead, unless you have multiple ports.

Sata ports (the conventional ones) aren't going to go away for a long while. So a cabled sata drive might be easier to reuse in the future, if you ever wanted to put it into a different system.

It's no big deal but I only see drawbacks. I'd fit an nvme drive, or a plain cabled sata drive personally.

M.2 SATA adapters are cheap. You could just move it to a SATA port in the future if you needed.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Lots of board put them right under a GPU though

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

HenryEx posted:

I bought the first SSD of my life today and the dude at the counter sent me off with "Welcome to the NVMe age!". I fit it into the M.2 slot and installed the drivers from Samsung and the Magician, and it tells me it's on a "PCIe Gen 3 x4" slot. Is that the right thing?

I'm planning to transfer my boot partition over to it later, but can i encrypt the whole thing before i do that? I heard there's issues with encryption and SSDs or something.

Yes, thats what you want it to say.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Im only doing blues and mx300's now for customers (for sata drives). They work fine, are affordable, and reliable. Both are from good companies as well.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bundling a tiny little ssd with high end boards just seems silly. like those people are gonna be using quantum bigfoots with the 7700k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The Evo for $140 is a great price.