Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Arsten posted:

Just think about those SD cards for a moment and then think what you can do with them. :v:

That's...pretty cool. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Is there a noticeable difference to laptop users between an 850 EVO and a 950 PRO? Does Windows boot noticeably faster? Do 10's of GB of Skryim waifu warrior mods load faster?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

It's possible. I had a Crucial SSD 4 years ago that blue screened on boot. Same model swap worked fine.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, if anything, the 960s have a built-in heat spreader. The 950 got pretty warm, especially in those slots under the GPU.

The 950 might get marked down once the 960s are in channel, too.

I'm hoping for some good Black Friday / CyberMonday sales this year.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Those are actually very reasonable prices. Perhaps the best thing they'll do, though, is push down the prices of existing 850 and 950 inventory.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Neon Belly posted:

Didn't realize Apple was taking up 45gb in backups :psyboom:

Apple: It's so easy, you have no clue what it's actually doing

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I just saw this. I have a four-year-old Crucial with 450GB or so; time to run a health check. :(

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

How reliable is buying SSDs from eBay? My current laptop only supports 2.5", and I'm hoping to upgrade to something with NVME within a year. I'm considering grabbing a 2.5" Samsung 850 EVO with 1TB now, and then selling it back in a year's time. I figure if the price collapses, that probably means the NVME drives are cheaper as well, and if the price doesn't collapse, then it spreads the NVME cost over time.

Is this a terrible idea?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Is there an NVME to 2.5" adapter? I may want to prepurchase an SSD for a new laptop but use it in the old laptop.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Rastor posted:

You have to understand, NVMe isn't just "faster SSD", it's a different protocol. There's no SATA / AHCI stuff going on with an NVMe drive.

So the short answer is no, there's no adapter, they use different interfaces that can't be adapted.

Rats. Thank you!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Skandranon posted:

I tried to go to CC for Black Friday two years ago to get some door crashers. Saw a lineup around the building in freezing rain. Turned car around and ordered everything I wanted online, and only paid $20 more to avoid probably 2-3 hours of misery. Never again.

blackfriday.txt

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Wait, you can set a drive root as a symlink to a folder on your main drive? Why didn't I think of this earlier...

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

nielsm posted:

Not (just) symlink, actually mount. Done in the Disk Management console.

I'd use a proper emote for "mind blown" if I weren't on my mobile. Thanks.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Even health insurance companies provide SSDs in their employees' laptops now. Health insurance companies. Let that sink in for a moment.

Get a single 128GB SSD for your OS if that's all you want to spend. I'm about to buy one for my wife's laptop right now because the HDD makes troubleshooting anything too slow.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Rastor posted:

3D Xpoint update:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/optane-3d-xpoint-intel-p4800x-cold-stream,33624.html

Reiterating: 3D Xpoint is for enterprise workloads with very high IOPS at low queue depths on a smallish (few hundred GB) quantity of data. It is not an optimization for your gaming rig.

So you're saying it won't hurt my gaming rig, are you...and it has high numbers...

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

I'll take fifty.

RAID 10 for your gaming rig, I assume.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Most people refer to this as Skyrim

There's a whole thread dedicated to Skyrim file moving aka modding.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Basically, one SARA "channel" can be used by either plug A or plug B. If you use SATA on plug B then plug A won't work. You can use NVME on plug B, though, and still use plug A, but you can't use NVME on plug A.

I need ms paint.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Except the current supply bottleneck may push that our further.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Can someone recommend me a good USB stick for a Surface 4 Pro to install Steam games on. The internal SSD is non-upgradeable and only has 256GB, and games like Crusader Kings II take up a lot of space.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

That is a really cool explanation.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Got a used 500GB Sandisk Ultra II for $90. 380/500mb speed, used drives are crazy deals.

What's the best place to get those? That's a crazy good deal.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Day to day, would I likely notice a difference using an 850 Evo vs. a 960 Evo? Other than the occasional file transfer, the largest disk offender is probably games with large textures.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks for the helpful responses everyone. I like to think my time is precious beyond measure, but it's really not so I'll probably go with the 850 evo.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I think they thought you were all, "Did I do something wrong? :smugbert:" when you were really trying to say, "Did I do something wrong? :shobon:"

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Is anyone still doing writeups on SSD tech like Anand used to when he was still running the site? He was fantastic at explaining the technology used in SSDs, and 90% of what I know about their workings come from these, but I just realized it's been several years now and I don't know how/if the technology has changed since. Most writeups you can find now go oversimplified (each cell is like a bucket of water!) or super technical into the physics behind it all, I miss the intermediary explanations like he was so good at giving:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/2829/2
https://www.anandtech.com/show/5067/understanding-tlc-nand

Ara Technica has been my go to site for this stuff for years. ymmv of course.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Is there any practical difference between 2D and 3D NAND for M2 SSDs other than $50?

WD Blue 1TB PC SSD - SATA 6 Gb/s M.2 2280 Solid State Drive - WDS100T1G1B0B [Old Version] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYOKOJI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_pfjyAbXKRV369

WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s M.2 2280 Solid State Drive - WDS100T2B0B https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073SB2MXT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fjjyAbMBR5HZW

I need extra space for my Steam library and mods. Windows is already on a 1TB NVME drive (that Toshiba one).

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

No, but the first link is quoting a used price.

Oh, good catch! Non-used are also $300, so I might as well go with 3D NAND when I pull the trigger.

Thank you!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Amazon and Newegg both had a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO for $399 yesterday. Newegg still has that price, but Amazon just updated theirs to $499. $399 is actually cheaper than the Samsung 960 EVO, so if you want an NVME drive now might be a good time to grab one.

Mine arrives tomorrow. :getin:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Now I'm worried I bought too early. Then again I'm happy with performance so far so maybe it's fine. Plus, I assume a future firmware update could improve performance.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks for assuaging my irrational fears, goons. Another proof of :10bux: well spent all those years ago.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Lockback posted:

The 1tb crucial mx500 is 182 right now on Amazon

gently caress what I paid for my 1TB 970 just a few months ago. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Binary Badger posted: