Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Lord Windy posted:

Samsung Evo 850 Evo Pro

Are you ok?

Lord Windy posted:

What is wrong with OCZ?

OCZ drives (at least in the past) had huge failure rates. They went bankrupt and were bought out by Toshiba. The newer drives seem to be more reliable, but are usually at the same price-point as better performing/known good drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Potato Salad posted:

How do you change a thread title? Can't find the usual BB title bar anywhere.

Gotta ask a mod to change it

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Grundulum posted:

Huh? The ifixit teardown of the XPS 13 claimed that the SSD is a Samsung PM851. Samsung claims that this drive uses SATA, not NVMe.

Seems like the 850 would be better than the 960?

The i7 9360 models come with a 256gb or 512gb NVMe drive. The link you have is for the older version of the laptop.

There are some i3 and i5 models that, if dell's website is consistent with its naming, come installed with SATA SSDs. Assuming the motherboard is the same between spec differences then it should be able to handle both SATA and NVMe drives.

e. http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/xps-13-9360-laptop/pd - Check out the Hard Drive specs and the "Help Me Choose" link.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 25, 2016

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I feel the main reason why you'd want SIX SSDs IN RAID 0 is because you can show off your SIX SSDs IN RAID 0 to the internet.

e. Maybe the guy had a bunch of old 32/64gb drives and wanted to use them somehow. Which is still silly since older SSDs as a whole aren't as reliable as modern ones, but when it comes to bragging you gotta make do.

e2. Looked it up for fun, a RAM drive for GTA5 would cost about $360, not including the RAM actually needed to play the game. You'd have to move to an workstation/enthusiast platform to handle >64GB RAM.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 29, 2016

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
They mentioned (quickly) that "one SSD gives you an amazing 220MB/s access speed".

The video was made to get views, though. I agree it would be nice to see how a single SSD compares to the array with these non-standard benchmarks, but we're probably not the audience they had in mind.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

vandalism posted:

This is a stupid question, but I just want to be sure. I have a 250gb ssd with Windows 8.1 and some games, and a 1tb hdd. I picked up an additional 500gb ssd today and plan on using it to store games as well. Here's the question:

The secondary SSD will run games faster/better than the hdd, right? Will it run games as smoothly as the primary 250gb one?

I'm assuming yes to both.

You'll be able to load games faster, yes. You won't get any performance/framerate improvements unless you're playing How Fast Can I Move These Files Around Simulator 2018.

Assuming the same model SSD, you should get about the same performance between the two. The larger one may be faster, but it's unlikely you'll notice a difference with regards to game load times.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
If you want to use it alongside your HDD you'll need to have a second SATA cable as the SSD doesn't come with one.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I found this image which shows the physical differences off kind of well.

From http://www.lovemysurface.net/universal-flash-storage-ufs-memory-cards-surface-pro-book-stand/

The form-factor is similar enough that a reader supporting both formats is possible, but current SD readers aren't compatible.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 3, 2017

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

SinineSiil posted:

Could someone link me the post that explained why RAPID was snake oil? I forgot the details.

Potato Salad posted:

...blah blah...

3) Rapid mode uses system RAM to cache drive I/O. Thing is, Windows disk write caching and Linux buffer caching already exist and are well optimized for ssds. There is also some question on how consistency is maintained on power failure with Rapid Mode. I avoid it, and I believe the thread's mainstream opinion on Rapid Mode is that it's a gimmick for benchmarking that can be avoided.

Also, here's anandtech's review of RAPID on the 850 Pro.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8216/samsung-ssd-850-pro-128gb-256gb-1tb-review-enter-the-3d-era/6

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Intel released the 545s recently, a SATA drive. It uses TLC, but is Intel made as opposed to the flash in the 540.

Here's anandtech's (rushed) take on it http://www.anandtech.com/show/11571/the-intel-ssd-545s-512gb-review-64layer-3d-tlc-nand-hits-retail. Seems to be a good competitor vs. the Samsung 850 Evo?

e. Also, can someone please talk me out of buying a 960 Pro

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 29, 2017

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I knew it would happen eventually, but I had hoped it wouldn't.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11647/alphacool-releases-two-new-ssd-coolers-the-hdx2-and-hdx3

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
You will need an extra SATA cable, as they typically aren't included with drives.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I assume that's because the consumer market for SSDs that big is pretty small. Why use 2TB of NAND on a single SSD that sells slowly when you could make 4 500gb or 8 250gb drives that sell very well?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Zarin posted:

I read the OP; good stuff. What confuses me is that right now, it seems that Samsung 960 EVO is about 50c/gb, and the Intel 750 is about $1/gb. That ... makes for an easy choice. Unless I'm missing something, which I might be; SSDs are a whole new world for me here.

That being said, I'm planning out my first complete build in 6 years, and figured I'd go whole-hog and try out NVMe. I'm certain that this motherboard and this 960 EVO are compatible, but I thought I'd go ahead and ask here anyway:
Motherboard: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188186
SSD: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147594

If there's anything I need to watch out for when setting it all up, I'd be glad to hear that as well!

For what it's worth, I'm not going to bother copying an old HDD over; I'll just fresh install and go from there.

You should be all good to go. The last few generations of Intel motherboards have been NVMe-ready.

I'm just curious why you're going with a last-gen motherboard/CPU.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Zarin posted:

That is an incredibly good question to which I don't have a good answer.

I guess, as I was doing my research, somehow I got the impression that Kaby Lake was still the most popular offering out there. I was further thrown by Coffee Lake being a six-core rather than a four-core, and wondered if it was some sort of niche design for multithreading rather than general use/gaming.

Is there a big enough difference between the two that I should regret the decision? I could probably return the motherboard/CPU and upgrade, if it's worth it.

Thoughts?

Multi-threaded applications aren't as niche as they once were, and the boost frequencies on the newer CPUs are just as good as/better than the previous generation so single-threaded applications run just as fast. It was difficult to find them in stock when they launched, so many sites would recommend getting kaby lake if you needed a new computer.

If you're planning on keeping this system around for a while, I'd strongly consider getting a coffee lake system. You may want to also post your build over in the Parts Picking thread (keep in mind that the OP was last updated before coffee lake was released) if you'd like some more opinions.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I made a little picture in hopes to make the whole terminology a bit more clear for others. Anyone have any suggestions to make it less confusing (or did I get things wrong)?

e. Looking at some AMD block diagrams for AM4, they show some SATA connections going directly to the CPU. Is there a SATA controller on Zen processors?
e2. Apparently the SoC has SATA and USB connectivity in addition to NVMe. Guess I'll update the graph.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 24, 2018

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

priznat posted:

This may just complicate it unnecessarily but there is also cable/backplane connected 2.5” nvme drives called U.2 or SFF-8639. They are often connected to motherboards or switch cards via SFF-8644/8643 cables also known as miniSAS HD. These are usually on enterprise or cloud systems so may be beyond what you’re looking to show, but there are some prosumer drives (intel 750 or 900p) that come in this form factor.

Thankfully no “ruler” form factor drives or the samsung version in the prosumer space.. yet!

Good point. U.2 ports are included on some higher-end consumer motherboards and people may wonder what it's about - I'll add it to the list of things.
e. Decided to just call it a U.2 Cable and a U.2 Port, figure that'll be what most people here will be questioning about. I'm also leaving out the Zen SoC SATA controller deal, since the picture is getting too big as-is.
e2. Moved a few colors around, changed SATA to SATA (AHCI).

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 26, 2018

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I have two SATA SSDs on my machine. But I guess im a moron and either didnt seat one correctly or its just not 'on'. It could be thatt one of my SSDs has just died. Can I run a cmd to identify the SSD that is acting as my C drive?

If they're different brands then you could pull up Disk Management (right-click the start menu), right-click on the disk that has the C volume, then select properties. That will pull up the properties of the drive, and should give you the make and model of the drive.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Max Wilco posted:

After some stress, I got the WD Blue 1TB installed into my computer. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be showing up, even after checking Disk Management. Is it possible I did something wrong with the connections?

A quick reference to my hardware:

I'd re-plug the power (cable from your PSU to your SSD) and data (cable from your motherboard SATA port to your SSD) to make sure they both have a solid connection.

Also make sure that the SATA ports aren't disabled in your BIOS/UEFI (press Delete a whole bunch while the computer is starting up to get into bios setup, go to Advanced > PCH Storage Configuration and make sure the port you have the SSD plugged into is set to AHCI).

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

My old computer has suddenly started randomly disconnecting my old SSD, it was a Crucial M4 128GB from 2012. Most of the time the bios doesn't detect the drive at all, I haven't been able to spot if it also disconnects while running yet though. Guessing this is just a dead drive and not anything else wrong with the computer, or is there anything else I should check? Any tricks that might let me salvage the data off the drive?

7 years is a pretty good run, but I'll be pretty annoyed if I can't at least salvage the docs off it.

Could always try another SATA cable and another SATA port.

The Hail Mary of getting dead SSDs to show up is to disconnect the data cable, turn on the computer and have the SSD powered for 30 minutes, then turn off the computer, reconnect the drive, and turn it back on and check to see if it shows up in the BIOS/UEFI.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Since we know the SATA data cable and power cable being used for your HDD is good, for testing you could move the cables going to your 2TB HDD and plug them into your new SSD. Then boot into the BIOS and see if the SSD shows up.

Max Wilco posted:

I did have to get the power supply and video card replaced a couple of years back, so it's possible I have the power cords from the old power supply, but would they be any different?

Did you replace the power supply with the same model? The power cables that connect your PSU to your computer components aren't always wired the same between manufacturers and even between models, so if you got a different PSU you should be using the new cables only.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Max Wilco posted:

EDIT: Another thing to note in regard to the whole SATA III deal: the WD Blue SSD also says that it does 6 Gb/s, like with the cables and ports. While the old cable doesn't work with the SSD, is it possible that it might work with a standard style of hard drive, or would I still need the SATA III for it to work in the motherboard port?

It's unlikely that if the SSD doesn't get a connection that a HDD would, unless it's the SSD itself that's malfunctioning.

The only difference between a SATA II cable and a SATA III cable is that the SATA III cables have the little metal tabs that keep the cable in place. Both will be able to carry the 6Gb signal required for SATA III. [Source]

The SATA standard is backwards compatible, so if you plug a SATA III drive into a SATA II port or vice versa it'll work, albeit at the lower speed of SATA II.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

pyrotek posted:

Is RAID 0 worth it with NVME SSDs, specifically the Inland Premium 1TB?

Not really, no.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

pyrotek posted:

Mostly home/gaming, occasional video editing. I also have an old SATA SSD installed, so I could set up the old SSD as the OS drive and use the newer drive(s) for mass storage/games/work space for the video editing etc. if necessary. I also have USB hard drives that I could use for backup.

I'd mostly like just to have them as one 2TB space.

Buy a 2tb drive and sell your 1tb? 2tb drives have a bit of a price premium to them but I feel that it'll be worth it to not mess with RAID.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

space marine todd posted:

Recommendations for a cheap 2TB NVME drive? I just need it for storage.

The Intel 660p is both cheap and 2tb.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
At 1tb the 660p is a few dollars cheaper than TLC drives, but also has less SLC cache to use. At 512gb it's the same price as TLC drives and shouldn't be considered.

SATA 1tb drives can be found for less than the 1tb 660p if you're really looking to pinch pennies.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Rock My Socks! posted:

Are these cheap Inland drives fine for replacing a HDD in a low-end laptop (that is only sporadically used)?

https://www.microcenter.com/product/485911/inland-professional-240gb-ssd-3d-tlc-nand-sata-iii-6gb-s-25-internal-solid-state-drive-(240g)

The biggest issue with those inland drives (and other 240gb SSDs around the $30 mark) is that they lack a DRAM cache.

It should be fine though. It'll still be a whole lot better than an HDD.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
It's good. The only "uh oh" would be if you bought the older, non-3d NAND version, as the performance isn't as good.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Mental Hospitality posted:

Says it's "3D Nand". Well that's good to know. I'm so behind on my ssd knowledge. Like "Have you heard of that fancy MLC flash storage" behind. Are there any current generation drives that fail catastrophically and early these days?
Outright failure isn't as much of a concern with the latest few generations of drives.

There are more budget focused SSDs that don't have a high-speed cache (DRAM or SLC flash), and budget/high capacity drives that use QLC flash (opposed to MLC/TLC flash). These drives usually aren't recommended due to worse performance and being not that much cheaper than better drives, but aren't actively dangerous to your data.

e. I mean you should still backup your data but the cheap SSDs aren't as bad as they once were.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 23, 2020

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Lareine posted:

So, I've got a bit of a problem. I installed a 500 gb NVMe drive during my big rebuild. Everything else is working fine but the drive isn't showing up in Disk Management. It shows up in the bios and in Device Manager but I can't find it anywhere else.

I'd double-check Disk Management, specifically the bottom half. You may have to scroll down if you have more than a few disks in your system. There's probably no volume created (might not even be initialized), so you'll have to do that first before it'll show up in Windows Explorer and the top half of Disk Management.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
As far as I can tell, they're just a 16/32GB optane module and QLC SSD on the same m.2 stick. Presumably the optane is used in place of a more traditional DRAM or SLC cache.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3389742/intel-optane-memory-h10-ssd-review.html

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

WhyteRyce posted:

I don't even know if there will be a hybid Optane drive in the future. I always thought the client business at Intel NSG was primarily to find some kind of use for all those NAND wafers their factories were spitting out that couldn't be sold in a much more lucrative enterprise product. Once the acquisition completes they'll have to go out and buy someone else's NAND in order to throw together a product and at that point why bother.

You would think, but apparently they announced an H20 recently

https://www.servethehome.com/new-intel-670p-and-optane-h20-ssds-with-legacy-pcie-gen3/

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
They have to explicitly support SATA - there is no default backwards compatibility. The M.2 SATA drive could be put into a M.2 to 2.5" drive adapter and connected to a SATA cable if your more modern PC does not have any M.2 ports that support it.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Is there a recommended bootable USB utility to initiate a secure erase on an NVMe drive? My Surface Pro 4's SSD is dying (whea bluescreens, boot media not found, can't reinstall windows because the drive disappears whenever I try to touch the partitions) so I would like to sell the SP4 for parts, but the device is held together with glue so I can't easily remove the SSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I'll give it a shot, thanks!