Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So this is sort of a SSD thread question and sort of a Haus question:

I am going to be getting a much bigger SSD soon, my main drive is on a relatively small SSD. However I was wondering if there were a way to just make a complete copy of my old drive so I can just replace my old drive with my new one, making the new one the boot drive to replace the old without having to do a complete reformat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Are the 850 EVO M.2's worth it? They seem like they're in a really great place right now price wise.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

metallicaeg posted:

They're still tied to the SATA spec and won't work on an NVMe-only slot.

Oh dear, looks like I have some reading to do because I have no idea what any of these mean. I have a z97-a asus mobo if that helps.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

ASUS very likely still has your board SKUed up on their website, and it'll likely tell you if you M.2 slot is NVMe or SATA-linked.

EDIT: I looked up the Z97A and your M.2 slot is PCIe linked. You can boot from the 960.

OK so after doing some reading it would seem that I can boot from a 950 as well (as I would probably go for that over the 960), but apparently because my m.2 slot only has two lanes it will be a bit slower in terms of perforamcne. That's fine really, I am limited in chassis space currently.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I would assume any great SSD deals will be posted here? I am looking to pick up a relatively big cap SSD on black friday.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Are there any good online deals for a 1tb ssd yet?

Edit: nevermind there is a 1tb 850 eco for 250 on Amazon. Purchased!

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

My computer recently stopped booting. It appears to fail to recognize my ssd (which is my boot drive). All the other drives are still recognized but obviously non-bootable.

Is there bootable software I can load onto a usb drive to confirm my suspicions that my ssd is toast? My bios attempts to detect it saying "Auto detecting SATA1..." but it hangs there for a while, then jumps to a "Please insert a boot drive, or restart" screen. It doesn't even show up in my bios or boot menu when all my others do. I have tried swapping cables too so that is not the issue.

Anyone have any recommendations for that software?