Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Skandranon posted:

Life is too short to deal with dead drives. Lets say I make $20/hr. My a dead drive is going to at least eat up 2h of 1. Seeing if the drive is dead, 2. Fretting over lost data 3. Removing drive 4. Sending back to Samsung 5. Installing new drive 6. Restoring from backups. Even at that rate, upgrading to an 850 is a no brainer. Any additional hassle or increase to my hourly rate just makes a more solid case.

Reminder that 840s don't break, they slow down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm going to take off my adult responsibility hat for a second here.

(clanking noises on desk)

Fucken do it mate. And post a screenshot of crystal disk mark :D

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yeah, hella disappointing. I was looking forward to a 600p as "Well, it's slow, but Intel respects its warranties."

The likes of Crucial and Kingston will say "Ferk u lol" if you try to get a replacement so far as I know. I don't know what Toshiba OCZ support is like, so I can't offer their budget NVMe drive as an option. Is there a budget option from a vendor who will actually give a gently caress about customer support?

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 23, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That's more than superstition, the EVO is superior in every way: performance, endurance, warranty honor on behalf of the manufacturer.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

My trusty pocket VAR and my team go to lunch occasionally. I think we tipped our collective hands on nvme excitement too hard. She threw an sm951 in the last laptop workstation we bought "on the house."

Lord, that is a nice freggin drive. Now I have to pay for premium Samsung drives where midrange would have been okay because half my workstation-level customers have heard about the :magical: power of premium nvme.

Well done, sales person. Well done.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What is going on during that time?

Perhaps open the resource monitor for a bit and see what is using top drive i/o.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Stop using Chrome, possibly? At least for a day or two and see if that's realky the issue?

FF if you want a big popular browser, Opera if you need Webkit?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Keep Mint in your pocket. Also, Windows 10 comes with Hyper-V. You don't even need to set up dual boot / grub just to find out you don't like some linux distro. With hyper-v, you can test however many machines you want and not give fucks about repartitioning your drive.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

RemoteFX is available on some Win10 hyper-v hosts as well :unsmigghh:

I'm able to run cad with acceleration in Mint in a hyper-v guest with a RemoteFX virtual adapter on my Win10 Enterprise workstation laptop with firepro hardware as we speak. Maybe look at what's available on your hyper-v install :D

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

When in the past was there dram price fixing?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Alchenar posted:

Thanks. There's no real reason not to have it as an additional drive other than for neatness' sake.

This was the good answer too. Most applications are drive agnostic per best practice now, so it's not too much trouble during install of games (especially Steam games) to switch to G: or whatever else you want to label the game drive.

Playing around with volume extrnsion or raid on a typical home / gaming computer can get you into a pickle that's hard to wiggle out of later down the road. One volume, one drive.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 26, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

priznat posted:

Raid 0 m.2 pcie of course :haw:

But seriously the 960 will be the better bet for avoiding the raid hassles alone and will have better throughput performance to boot.

Is...is that a bunch of m.2 pcie on u.2 sleds?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

They will.

Is it time to update or adjust the OP recommendations? I don't quite think so, but I may be missing something.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The WD Blue has some fucky firmware issues, so hopefully we do get to keep the straight original x400 and the like w/o branding or software modification.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Have a good relationship with your var.

No, seriously, you need an inside agent looking into it for you.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SSD isn't the way of the future. It's the way of right now, and that's if you are late.

Starting rule of thumb: don't buy home-use HDDs. Those are the tech of the past. They're over for home users and most gamers.

This is becoming less of an opinionated generalization and more of a universal ... fact? as the months wear on.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I wouldn't call you a home user.

Cue tit-for-tat discussion on the broad gray lines between home users, gamers, enthusiasts, SOHO, SMB, and mid / full enterprise.

Extra points for nested venn diagrams.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Agrajag posted:

whats the definition of long-term storage?

Today, for home users? Cloud.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Better pray the owning office isn't watching for that exact thing in system center.

"Excuse me, between 5pm Tuesday and 8am Wednesday someone hosed with tpm, there is a chassis intrusion and there's a new drive in the device."

"Holy poo poo someone broke into my home?"

"Looks like it, hey, don't worry, I'm taking the laptop right now, FBI will see if they can print / look for hair and see who stole hardware and encrypted important data, we'll tell you if someone is identified"

I wasn't involved when that happened, and to my knowledge it hasn't happened again.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 29, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The controllers can use a good amount of energy for their size and what is often a very tight space with little airflow.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That said, it takes a moment to heat the hell up. 7s continuous full load for 950 PRO and it starts to thermally throttle if memory serves correctly.

If you're loading that thing full bore continuously for more than 7s, though, you've got a fairly heroic use case. 960 EVOs fixed this issue somewhat with the Polaris controller and a minor heat-spreading feature. I'm not aware of throttling being an issue in the real world on high-quality nvme for home, game, and productivity users. Let me know if you find a good case though.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

use Powershell and wmi

I *think* you can go by device instead of drive letter via a few pipes

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 3, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.com/powershell/smart-disks/

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

We are RAID 1 but every mirrored element is an unnecessarily nested and convoluted heap of storage hardware glued together without consideration for drivers, protocol, or real use case by consumer Intel rapid storage technology gently caress reddit

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 10, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

may I use your testimonial in the OP

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Also holy balls the nvme market has exploded in a good way. There's way more hardware that can be recommended at least at home/budget levels.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Volguus posted:

Well, PRO is better than EVO. If you can afford the price premium and if the things that PRO does better than EVO are important to you, then go PRO. However for normal consumers EVO is enough, the price hike for PRO is not worth it.

A comparison chart seems to not be easy to find with google, but i found this (no idea how accurate it is):
http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-960-Pro-NVMe-PCIe-M2-512GB-vs-Samsung-960-Evo-NVMe-PCIe-M2-500GB/m182182vsm204072

Better is an odd thing to say when the provided use case is gaming + os drive. Going dramatically overboard with the enterprise drive's endurance and price with marginal gains in performance for home and games users can, in fact, not be "better." If the goal is to find a butter zone of performance, capacity, price and endurance, mind that the EVO is already a premium drive. Great value, but still premium.

The nvme market has exploded with good poo poo in the middle and low ends and has had high-end consumer options for months. There's no need to go full Best Drive in the West out of fear for getting screwed on anything less on a new tech. The 860 PRO as an item marketed to anyone outside 4K video editing or hardcore knowledge workers is a "We're Samsung and we're the best" gimmick. The PRO may be m.2 god, but EVO is King.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ataxerxes posted:

Thanks for the help an info everyone, I got my 850 Evo installed yesterday and also installed Macrium Reflect. My Windows install takes about 20GB, can I transfer it to a partition on the SSD with Macrium? Also, I read that you should leave some space on an SSD unused. Partition management in Windows says there are about 470GB space in the SSD, so does it do that automatically?

Out of the box, the EVO has necessarily overhead built in that partition manager can't see. Don't stress it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Up to you. Clean refreshed systems are nice for reasons unrelated to ssds, but that does incur a lot of extra work

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

WD Red drives are binned, slowed-down leftovers.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

WhyteRyce posted:

It's got interesting use cases in enterprise environments sure, but it won't help me load my FO4 load times so I don't see the point

Ramdisk.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I haven't thought to consider that all the "Hepta RAID 0 ssd build!a!!!1" reddit posts that span SATA II and III interfaces in the same Intel RST arrays might get better bang for their buck with a ramdisk solution.

For $300, an old desktop can live on as an always-on dedicated 64gb ramdisk cache against an old hard drive. Toss in a little more for a good hardware iSCSI NIC and :gizz:

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 19, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

priznat posted:

I wonder if the Xpoint is fast enough for raid controller memory and such.

3dxpoint as turnkey storage appliance nonvolatile memory probably has the owners of old product lines like FAS and Isilion dreaming up how to sell "UNSTOPPABLE RELIABILITY."

I'll bet any of you a nickel there's already marketing material for upselling to "LX-point 3D: Datacenter-Dependable DIMM" in their overpriced lovely appliance that isn't even on Xeon v4 yet.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 19, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

My VARs pin the end of NAND shortage at q1/q2 2018, natural and political disasters notwithstanding.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Why isn't non-volatile RAM cheaper? It seems like adding some flash to normal DIMMs along with enough capacitors to power a write down of the contents of the RAM would be much higher performing than Optane at only a modest bump in price, but a quick search just turned up ridiculously priced things like this.

Think of the engineering hurdles that had to be cleared to make ssds as easy to work with as they are today. Trim, considerations for write amplification and performance, journaling and power loss, TPM, rest encryption, os optimization...hell, marketing ssds as reliable after the first impressions people got close to a decade ago ("well, I heard ssds wear out" was a thing in this thread even a year ago). Going from hdd to ssd for consumers involved the same load of invisible work that goes into tuning the use of new hardware tech to make it more than an expensive niche filler.

Flip side of the coin is optane, which still will need tuning and iteration as ssds did above, but at least can be made to conceptually jive with how dimms work all the way down to "read bits with address lines." We won't be playing, "Well, that memory is written back to nonvolatile but THIS memory is only on volatile...." games with Optane like we sometimes do with ssd caches. *

edit 1 - I'm phoneposting and I see where some of my delivery is disjointed / muddled, apologies. Tldr optane dimms can more closely and completely approximate dram dimms out of the fab; a lot of extra conceptual, software, and hardware work would go into making a hybrid/NV-cache dimm broadly usable. So, for $, go develop Optane.

edit 2 - nvdimm by "we dump v to nv at power loss" is janky as heck and would necessitate an application that specifically knows how to take advantage of the nature of that ram after, say, rebooting. Seeing as you can rewarm a terabyte of information in ram cache in hilariously short time with nvme...

*hopefully

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 21, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

HenryEx posted:

I bought the first SSD of my life today and the dude at the counter sent me off with "Welcome to the NVMe age!". I fit it into the M.2 slot and installed the drivers from Samsung and the Magician, and it tells me it's on a "PCIe Gen 3 x4" slot. Is that the right thing?

I'm planning to transfer my boot partition over to it later, but can i encrypt the whole thing before i do that? I heard there's issues with encryption and SSDs or something.

Windows os? Turn on Bitlocker after you are done moving everything - troubleshooting will be easier.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

WhyteRyce posted:

Intel released some info on the Optane cache product
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/03/intels-first-optane-ssd-for-regular-pcs-is-a-small-but-has-super-fast-cache/

$44 is well in the "ah gently caress why not" category of random purchases for my computer

Sooo, somewhere around / a little under the cost of consumer ram, in loose terms.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Except it takes up an M2 slot that would be much better used for another SSD.

Does anyone have an example of a consumer application that would actually benefit from Optane's better latency but not better sequential R/W characteristics? After all, Samsung 960s are already fast enough that storage speed is no longer the bottleneck for most applications.

Uh..........I mean...

Persistent web browsing sessions for people with dozens of tabs always open? Browser devs would have to actually do a little work to make it meaningfully helpful.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I've had a slightly more positive experience with a planar tlc Samsung ssd - support was through a regional contractor, but said contractor did have a paper trail upon request by phone and wasn't trying to screw me. Drive I got back was refurbished but did last through and beyond my remaining warranty.

Jump on that fucker's warranty asap, you need the claim submitted with a valid date stamped on it.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

In one hand, I want to argue that m.2 does not lend itself well to multi-drive setups. You can get 3 or 4 slots on an atx board, and even then the between-every-pcie-slot location of the drives is problematic. For example, I don't have to remove my pcie cards to swap out a drive connected to a 7-pin sata connector. U.2 will let us put much many more nand packages into larger drive enclosures and place them anywhere in the case.

On the other hand, I can't really find a way to justify "you need more than one 2TB nvme drive" yet or even in the near future for home and gaming users. Sata ssd or hdd is probably gong to be the home user capacity tier for a couple more years.

Perhaps the answer lies in, "use the connector that is more flexible for potential future use cases." I do foresee this thread getting questions like "How do I move from my old m.2 stick to a new one" from people who only have one m.2 slot. U.2 lends itself to the "plug both drives in and clone" upgrade path more readily.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 4, 2017