Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

namlosh posted:

Hey guys, I need to get a replacement ssd for my mom's laptop. She doesn't use much space so I don't need much. Pretty much anything is going to be overkill.

I just don't want to get caught out on one of the drives that is terrible for random reads (O/S) iirc... but I can't remember what the crappy feature is called...

I plan to buy one from MicroCenter and install it this weekend.
Is this $25 Inland "professional" one of the crappy ones?
https://www.microcenter.com/product/659868/inland-professional-512gb-ssd-3d-tlc-nand-sata-30-6-gbps-25-inch-7mm-internal-solid-state-drive

Also, I would prefer to get a drive with clone/backup software since Macrium Reflect isn't free anymore I'm hearing?

any recommendations? Thanks so much everyone.

Get her a Crucial MX500 for very little additional cost and put your mind at ease knowing it'll be very very reliable. You could probably get away with 256GB if someone is relatively careful about not downloading everything they see on the Internet or all their pictures, but with 512 you'll basically never have to worry about it. Up to you.

https://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?N=&cat=&ntt=crucial+mx500

Reflect Free will be going away in 2024 but you can still download the free version for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The tier list discussion made me realize I think all my NVMe drives are WD. That's more out of laziness than fandom, though.

I have my own biases about SATA drives, but have had good luck with Team and Silicon Power drives there.

Yeah, since the total commodification of SSDs, the gaps on the tier list are certainly less apparent and potentially less important for non-enterprise and extremely-specific use cases. I certainly wouldn't trust a strictly-budget manufacturer with irreplaceable data, but for a home user who can just redownload everything and has their pictures backed up to Google Drive and resume saved in OneDrive / Google Drive? It's fine, great even.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Subjunctive posted:

Before what?

The thing. You know, that Thing.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Slotting 3DXpoint PMEM meant losing a slot for RAM, and that's extremely silly. Ram is ten times faster, and rewarming a cache after boot is not nearly as hard as having a bunch of developers rework your app to capitalize on not-as-fast-as-ram, not-appreciably-faster-than-ssds-in-a-way-that-mattets storage.

Optane--as in the storage side of it--was cool but prices never worked out for it.