Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Ten sd cards in RAID 0 may be lighter than an SSD. Don't forget the physical benefits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I was just playing along for a laugh.

I've got an old 240Gb OCZ arc. It's still going strong but it weighs about 4 times what my 850 Evo weighs.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Is there a noticeable difference just opening a browser from startup with these nvme drives? Firefox with about 6 or 7 extensions can take a second to load on my laptop and desktop. Both have an 850 Evo in them.

Just trying to get an appreciation of what sort everyday performance to expect. I'll have a look at some YouTube reviews later.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Incidentally, what's the done thing when RMAing a drive? Do you leave your data on it, hoping that the repair centre have a strict privacy policy or zero it first?

Would leaving the data on it help the repair centre with failure diagnosis in any way?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

woodch posted:

Thanks for the info!

Is it possible that in order to make this drive cheaper, SanDisk under-estimated the amount of spare blocks to build into it? Or is it the fact that I just went whole-hog and partitioned the whole available space when I installed it that's starving out my fail-over space? I'm curious because I don't want to end up making any preventable mistakes when I install my new Samsung. I've already figured out I can probably live with leaving 10-20GB free when I partition it. Will that be enough?

I don't know about SanDisk provisioning, but when you get the Evo just install Samsung Magician software: it enables you to move a slider around to alter the amount provisioning.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I'd say as far as the socket goes, SATA is too convenient to go anywhere in a hurry. Even when motherboards have 2x nvme connections as standard for boot drives I'd expect to see 4 or 6 SATA for expansion.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

It's handy for verifying that the drive is official, too. If, like me, you got your 850 Evo for a bargain on eBay.

I don't know if it's possible to hack the firmware to make Magician think that the drive is legit, mind. I imagine that this would be too much of a hassle for any Chinese cloners to bother with.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just got a 500gb 850 Evo (my first real SSD after the failure that was my lovely hand me down 64gb SSD from kingston a few years back), and I connected it on my Z77A-GD55 motherboard.

I'm not seeing these 500MB/s write speeds (more like 250) it advertised, and the Samsung tool says I'm using AHCI but I'm using a Sata 2 port, not a Sata 3 port. I'm a little confused, because HWINFO shows that I have the drive connected on a Sata 3 port, so I guess I'll have to check that it's actually on a Sata 3 port on the motherboard (apparently it's saying one of the EHDs I have is on a sata 3 port -> USB, which I don't fully understand, I have two USB 3.0 ports in the back of this mobo, and there's a USB 3.0 port on the front of my case).

If I connect it on the Sata 3 port will I really get 500MB/s read/write speeds or is that an advertised theoretical maximum?

Last question: I've been reading there's no difference between using a Sata 1 cable or a Sata 3 cable in terms of what speeds the cables can push out, other than if one uses a clip on it or not (the one connected to the SSD is using a clip, some other drives are using the old slip in red cables that fall out a lot), so if that's the case, what is the maximum rating of these cables? Just how fast can they go?

I have the same motherboard as you and a 250gb Evo plugged into it. Make sure you're using one of the two white SATA ports. The other ones next to the white ones are only SATA 2. The slow ones are either black or blue. I'm at work right now, so I can't take the panel off to check.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Is there still gonna be SanDisk branded storage (USB & SD cards) now that WD own them, or are we likely to see lots of WD branded portable storage?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

When I built my mother's PC I used a 64GB SanDisk SSD that I had lying around. Haswell i3, 8GB RAM and Windows 10. Runs really well for what she needs it for. I wouldn't recommend going as low as 64GB for anything other than a surfing and email machine though. She also keeps her Dropbox photos on there. I think she's got about 20GB free.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Am I the only one that thinks: me, just let a hard drive do the job of fast, reliable storage well. Let a router do the job of routing packets quickly, reliably and well.

Etc, etc. I get that there would be a speed increase in letting the drive itself doing any transcoding but what about when other codecs are released further down the road and then the possibility of upgrading firmware on your drive becoming a regular NOTHER thing to update.

Anyone else prefer to let a device do what it's traditional role is. Am I being a Luddite?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Yeah. I guess it's just another tool for a certain desired use case. The idea of rejuvenating an old, power-sipping Baytrail board into a capable Plex beast with only the addition of a drive has a certain desirability.

Also, if I were building an 8x NVMe zfs array for quick mass-storage I'd probably avoid drives with bells & whistles on them and go for tradition role sticks.

It's giving consumers more choice.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

If you're using Steam primarily for holding you game files then I would absolutely just look for a reasonably priced SSD which isn't too shonky a brand.

Once you've installed a second SSD it's fairly trivial to tell Steam to move a game over to a different partition/drive. You'd have to Google for which menu it's in but it's simple and only takes the time for whatever quantity of data you're shifting over to the other drive. Something like Witcher 3, for example at 80GB will take between 5 and 10 minutes on a decent PC and off you go.

The prices are really good right now so you could get another Samsung EVO 500GB and do it that way. Another school of thought is to get a slightly "less premium" brand SSD and use that for secondary Steam library storage. That's how I have it, so my boot drive is a premium model Samsung Evo and my spare one is an old OCZ and is just used for storing games.

Even if your motherboard has the slot for an NVMe drive, it's debatable whether you'll see any real speed increases compared to a standard 2.5" SSD, so just go for another of what you've got. The Crucial MX500 is also a good alternative to the Samsung Evo if you want to save a few pennies and still get a decent drive.

EDIT: The reason I've got two different brands of SSD in mine is because:
1) When the Samsung started running out of space I had he OCZ one lying around in another PC not doing much, so it cost nothing.
2) When I go into Windows Disk Management or when I'm copying files around it's really easy to see which direction I'm copying files.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 24, 2019

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Max Wilco posted:

It's a mixture of Steam, games from GOG, and other things (I lost a lot of space after setting up a modded Fallout 4 install, and just the other day I reinstalled World of Warcraft to try again, which is at least 50GB). I don't necessarily need to transfer everything over, but relocating some of the larger games would free up some space.

That CrucialMX500 seems like it would be good. I was shooting for 1TB (the 1TB Samsung one I found was like $167), so I'll think about it. Admittedly, I'm worried about the Crucial failing, but if it's just got games on it, it wouldn't be that terrible. I actually was paranoid about SSDs for a while, since I remember hearing they had a high failure rate, but maybe that's changed.

I hadn't heard of the NVMe drives before, and while those look interesting, I'm just thinking of the 2.5" ones like you said. However, I'm not the most computer hardware literate :downs:, so I didn't know if I have the connections or capacity for another SSD with the two I have already (both in terms of cable connections and/or power draw.)

It might be a good idea to read up a bit about RAID and backup. Not the most exciting subject for a first dive, but there's some satisfaction there once you get a RAID tank working. With an extra layer of backup for important stuff, of course. ;-)

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I've had one of the blue, OCZ Arc 100 drives since... since they were on the market.

It's the 240GB version and it doesn't get a great deal of use these days, but it's still going.

At the moment it's plugged into my gaming machine as a Steam drive but I haven't shifted any games onto it. It's had games on it in the past, though.

It used to be my boot drive for about a year. Probably back around 2015. Maybe earlier.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Read the last 5 pages.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

For what it's worth, I've got two ASRock Z270 boards running with an NVMe no problems.

My ITX board has a 960 or 970 Evo in it (think it's a 960). Running Win10 and various Linuxes no problem.

I also have a full-ATX ASRock Z270 Pro4 (the one with the two NVMe slots). I've only ever user the first slot and it was with a cheap MyDigitalLifeSSD but I never had any problems running Win10/ESXi/Windows Server 2016 on it.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

FRINGE posted:

Same. We've got around 10 of them floating around work.

I've actually got one of my Z270's for sale at the moment on eBay. I decided to move to a Ryzen build because the full ATX Z270 was my VMware box and I wanted more cores. So I picked up an ASRock B450 Pro4 and a Ryzen 1700 until the new breed of Ryzen come out.

I expected the B450 to be exactly the same as my Z270, just with an AM4 socket instead of an 1151 socket, but the network chipset is different. The Z270 boards, perhaps unsurprisingly, have an Intel NIC on-board where the B450 boards have a Realtek NIC on-board.

I got ESXi working with my B450 board by manually rolling in some network drivers but in the end I've plumped for buying another Intel i350 card to go in a space PCI slot. I think for doing a lot of virtualisation an Intel NIC will be more stable.

But, yeah, I do really like ASRock boards. They may not be the most premium gaming boards but they're usually fully-featured and get the job done.

If anyone in the UK is interested in my (almost new) z270 ATX board, it's here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASROCK-Z270-PRO4-S1151-ATX-Intel-DDR4-Motherboard/202659208926

My i350 card should be arriving today, so that's the weekend sorted pushing the 16 threads of my VMware box to it's limit. :-)

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Reminds me of when I was looking at Intel CPU's on eBay recently.

The description on this 7700K said that it was impossible to do a fresh OS installation with the CPU installed but if you installed the OS with a different CPU and then swapped them over it worked like a normal CPU.

I found it in my history:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-i7-7700k-Working-Perfectly-But-With-A-Flaw-Read-Description/303119882786?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Jesus! It went for £220. I paid the same amount over a year ago for a perfectly good 7700K. I still use it now.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Isn't DDR5 supposed to be making its debut this year? I'd have thought that NAND production would be ramping up for that. Is my dream of being able to buy a 2TB SATA SSD for under £100 by the end of the year still realistic? I'm looking forwards to switching to using SSD's for plain storage drives.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I've got two 240GB NVMe drives in the same rig. One is the Corsair Force MP510 and the other is the MyDigitalSSD BPXP.

Both drives have the Phison E12 controller and both come out as exactly the same size:

code:
[root@stib ~]# smartctl -i /dev/nvme0n1
smartctl 7.0 2019-03-31 r4903 [x86_64-linux-5.0.16-300.fc30.x86_64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-18, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, [url]www.smartmontools.org[/url]

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Number:                       Force MP510
Serial Number:                      191482050001276900B0
Firmware Version:                   ECFM12.2
PCI Vendor/Subsystem ID:            0x1987
IEEE OUI Identifier:                0x6479a7
Total NVM Capacity:                 240,057,409,536 [240 GB]
Unallocated NVM Capacity:           0
Controller ID:                      1
Number of Namespaces:               1
Namespace 1 Size/Capacity:          240,057,409,536 [240 GB]
Namespace 1 Formatted LBA Size:     512
Namespace 1 IEEE EUI-64:            6479a7 1c93064230
Local Time is:                      Sat May 18 12:28:07 2019 BST

[root@stib ~]# smartctl -i /dev/nvme1n1
smartctl 7.0 2019-03-31 r4903 [x86_64-linux-5.0.16-300.fc30.x86_64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-18, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, [url]www.smartmontools.org[/url]

Model Number:                       BPXP
Serial Number:                      DDC307890C4C00024954
Firmware Version:                   ECFM11.0
Namespace 1 IEEE EUI-64:            6479a7 0fc3083534
Local Time is:                      Sat May 18 12:28:11 2019 BST

[root@stib ~]#
What are my chances of upgrading the second one (or both), so that they are on the same firmware?

I'm guessing that they have exactly the same internals, since the specs look so similar. I bought them about 2 months apart. Would I be able to download firmware from MyDigitalSSD website and apply it to both drives? I'm guessing that these drives come off the same production lines and are just branded differently, same as the various other brands that are out there.

Gotta go out now, but I will check back later. Cheers..

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I found this thread, with a tool from manufacturer CFD that flashes a Phison E12 drive. It's quoted on page 19, post #728

https://hardforum.com/threads/hotter-than-hell-inland-1tb-nvme-premium-105-microcenter-samsung-970-pro-killer.1978390/page-19

I booted into Windows, downloaded and ran it on my BPXP drive, according to that post. It downloaded the latest file from CFD and flashed my BPXP drive in a few seconds and told me to turn off the PC.

After a reboot into Linux I now have both drives on the same firmware, since it looks like Corsair was already on the latest:

code:
[root@stib ~]# smartctl -i /dev/nvme0n1

Model Number:                       Force MP510
Serial Number:                      191482050001276900B0
Namespace 1 IEEE EUI-64:            6479a7 1c93064230
Local Time is:                      Sat May 18 18:27:56 2019 BST

[root@stib ~]# smartctl -i /dev/nvme1n1

Model Number:                       BPXP
Serial Number:                      DDC307890C4C00024954
Namespace 1 IEEE EUI-64:            6479a7 0fc3083534
Local Time is:                      Sat May 18 18:27:59 2019 BST

[root@stib ~]# 

I think it's retained the data, too. I had an LVM partition on each, which I'm gonna destroy anyway, but the LVM is still there. Nice!

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

My LVM partition was still there. I had one spanning each drive and I only updated the BPXP.

Unfortunately, I didn't bother mounting the LVM as I was intending to destroy it and create a new one anyway. It seemed to be in place.

e: I'm assuming that if it was a destructive firmware update, destroying the data on the drive, then it would have also destroyed the partition table, LVM headers and everything.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Bone question:

If you use Samsung Magician on an SSD in Windows and adjust the over-provisioning to 20%, then you shut down, took the drive and plugged it into a Linux box to reformat it, you don't have to worry about the over-provisioning you added in Windows, right? Linux just sees the whole block storage and doesn't care about the provisioning?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Yeah. Download Ubuntu or something. Use Rufus to burn it to a USB stick (https://rufus.ie/). Boot it and open a terminal.

code:
lsblk
This will show what your drives are called. Your nvme should be something like /dev/nvme0n1

code:
sudo smartctl -i /dev/nvme0n1    (or whatever the device name is on your drive) 
If smartctl isn't installed, which I think it is on the latest Ubuntu ISO.
code:
sudo apt install smartmontools
Then repeat step 2.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

There are plenty of these sort of things available:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glodenbrid...s%2C215&sr=8-10

I bought one pretty much the same as that one. Just power down, insert your m.2 in and image it to another SATA drive connected to your PC.

Then power off and put your new drive in and image it back over.

I have explained it in a rather simplistic way (I'm tired), but you get the idea.

We used one of those cheap cards at work to image one of our colleagues laptop when his screen broke and I went ahead and bought one for personal use. They're cheap but they do the job.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Just to piss on the parade, one thing that does irk me about NVMe is the usage of PCIe lanes on a lot of consumer boards. Over the weekend I thought I'd set up a nice little ZFS array (3 SATA SSD's) on my ASRock B450 Pro 4 and I found out that because I had both NMVe slots populated it cuts out the last two SATA ports. So I had to remove one of my NVMe's in order to use all my SATA. I WANT MAXIMUM DRIVE USAGE, GOSHDARNIT! I just wish that "enthusiast" consumer boards had enough lanes so that you could fill 'em right up to the hilt and there'd be enough lanes to go round.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

SlayVus posted:

I can do 3 nvme drives, 6 SATA drives, one u.2, and I can do pci-e bifurcation to add additional nvme drives. I think the max I can do though is only one 16x slot to 4x4, but I have 4 full size slots 16/8/16/8 + 1 4x slot and 1 1x slot. So I can do 3 AIC SSDs, a 4 slot NVME to pci-e card and a graphics card. So I can have 17/18 drives not including if I wanted to make a RAM disk.

Which chipset is that?!

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

SlayVus posted:

Threadripper ASUS Zenith Extreme.

Nice! Which CPU? What do you use it for? Actual scientific work or just lots of VM's and containers?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

SlayVus posted:

1950x, gaming and streaming. I just wanted it. I would like to do a VM with unRaid so I can still do gaming with hardware passthrough and a VM/docker for plex. Use another VM as the streamer PC like you might do with two different PCs. I could add up to 2 more video cards so I could have three PCs all running at once. I already have a PCI-E USB 3.0 card that has a USB host chip per USB port so I can run each host chip on 1 VM each and use a USB hub to add the USB devices per VM.

If that kind of setup becomes cheap after Zen2 has been out a few months I'd like something similar. I'm a recent convert to Ryzen with my lowly 1700. Maybe nearer the end of the year. Looks great for expandability.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

If you used full-disk encryption from brand new, then wouldn't the ones and zeroes in the NAND seem to be arranged randomly?

Then, as the clever trickery of the drive controller counts the writes and closes down certain cells, these cells would be locked to seemingly random and disjointed patterns of data.

Then, let's say that you used a drive until the SMART data told you that it was 10% spent and did an SSD secure erase function, the remaining 90% would appear as random garbage and even the 10% that had been locked off by the controller would also appear as random garbage which was encrypted by a different key.

So, to surmise...

Stop, Hammertime.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Yeah. I remember that story. It's kinda lovely. Very lovely if you happen to work for a very wealthy company and lose a laptop that's Bitlockered at an airport or something.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

If it were my hard drive you'd still be able to confirm that there was a slag on it.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I don't know about Aussie dollar conversion rates, but it looks like that drive runs a Phison E12 controller.

I have the Corsair Force 510 series NVMe and the MyDigitalSSD BXBP NVMe drives and they both run the Phison E12 controller. I'm not 100% sure because I haven't peeled the stickers off to look at the chips but I'm fairly certain they are all the same drives with a different brand sticker on them.

The Corsair and the MyDigitalSSD are both good drives. I also have a 960 Evo and a 970 Evo and I can't tell the difference in performance. I'd go with that Silicon Power drive if the price is right. Looks good.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

NVMe is overkill for NAS storage. Seriously. And you may also run into a situation where multiple NVMe drives impede the amount of PCI lanes usable for other devices.

I say this as someone who's also looking to go fully SSD this year. I'm waiting for that sweet, sweet moment when I can get a 2TB Crucial MX500 for under £100 and I'll buy 2 or three of them for RAID.

For file storage and media streaming you're really, really, really fast enough with a SATA SSD array.

I'm hoping to retire my spinning drives before 2020. Maybe by Black Friday we will see 2TB SATA SSD's at under £100?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

tzirean posted:

Sorry, I meant using a 1TB NVMe and 2TB SSDs in my desktop and taking the storage HDDs out of it and sticking them in a NAS.

Ah, no need to be sorry. I read your post on my phone and misunderstood. Yep, take the plunge if you feel like doing so. I've not seen anything that suggests regular SSD prices are going to stabilise, though. I'm projecting here, but I expect that the prices will continue to go down throughout the year. So it might be worth waiting a couple of months to see if the trend continues unless you are in need of of the storage now. It's still a really good buyers market compared to a year ago.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I pasted a link to a link a few pages ago. It was a generic firmware and the link was from Hard Forums or HardOCP or something.

I ran that generic firmware on both of my Phison drives: the Corsair Force and the MyDigitalSSD.

It upgraded the MyDigital no problem and skipped the Corsair because the Corsair was already on 12.2.

It's a small Windows utility. It tells you to turn off the PC after doing the update. I shut down fully and rebooted: no problems.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I just impulse-bought a Sabrent 1TB NVMe last night. I was tired and, having read the news/rumour about the power outage causing prices to stay steady made me do it!

Is the Sabrent as good as any other Phison E12? In the cold light of day I was wondering if I should've went with the similar Silicon Power model. I think it was the blue swooshes on the Sabrent and the fact that it was a couple of buxx cheaper that swayed me. They're pretty much the same in terms of quality, aren't they? i.e. They are the same board, so you've got just as much chance of one brand failing early as the next brand? Not that I expect any trouble from it for a couple of years.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

#BlueSwooshBros4Lyfe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Seamonster posted:

gently caress it, I'm in for a 2TB Rocket RIGHT NOW.

Aww, man. You're putting my 1TB to shame! Still, I'm not a huge gamer and I expect mine to be the sweet spot in terms of capacity to hold half a dozen Steam games. Whatever gets rarely played will get sideloaded onto an old OCZ SATA SSD I have in my rig. I think I'm developing something of an addiction to buying these Phison E12 variants whenever I've got a bit of spare cash to throw around. The Sabrent Rocket will be my third one, after the BPXP 240G and the Corsair Force MP510, also a 240G. They all work flawlessly in my short experience with them, so far.

Good luck with your 2TB one.