Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I love how they mention RAPID Mode as a potential 'feature' of the 960 EVO. I mean...seriously?

Do people still even read tomshardware, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Does SMART data mean anything for SSDs? Magician just had an update and says "good" for drive status, which I looked at the data and it has fails on uncorrectable error and ECC error rate, wondering if I need to start worrying about replacing this stupid 850 pro.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I know for regular old hard drives any bad sectors (esp more than 1-2) meant new HDD time, but I haven't run into this with SSDs before.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 25, 2017

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I mean if it's just one pc we're talking about just put a 256 gig in there, is another option.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

This is your irregularly scheduled reminder that if you think your SSD is taking a poo poo it might actually just be your SATA cable taking a poo poo, brought to you by: my SATA cable taking a poo poo and me being worried I was going to have to replace my 850 pro.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Quite, this is my home office PC, so unless it was my wife (unlikely) or a cat (possible)... it's one of a 3 pack that I bought a while back, the other 2 are still running my mechanical storage drives with seemingly no issue.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Level Slide posted:

I remember the OP of an archived SSD thread said something about running the computer in BIOS for half an hour to revive the SSD and then updating its firmware. Of course, it sounded like that was for SSDs that didn't have the OS on them, and the post was from 2014, but is that still something I could do?

That was probably specific to the Crucial M4 (I ran into that problem).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Nthing possible SATA cable problem. Some are lovely and just go bad.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

So, I had a spare NVMe 1TB drive kicking around because I'm a dummy. I bought a second drive because I remembered my laptop having two slots, but it turns out that was the laptop I bought before this one that I had to return. I got an enclosure for it, and I was just wondering- how much performance am I losing by having it as an external connected via thunderbolt 3 cable?

Thunderbolt 3 has 40gbps throughput and nvme drives right now are half that so probably none? Complete guesswork

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I just put in an NVMe drive that I cloned a SATA system drive to and had to manually make a uefi partition and then bless the drive which felt like a weird callback to some more ancient day. I’m not giving up my install of windows that has been going strong since 7!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It’s always been bs

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Am I the only person who still uses partition magic?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Lambert posted:

Considering it has been deprecated since 2011, probably. Something like gparted does everything Partition Magic did in terms of partitioning better, and for imaging Macrium Reflect is the go-to.

I meant minitool partition wizard, and am stupid.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

On my board I really had to secure the dang thing with a screw or it would have been ejected. Quite unlike ram or a pcie expansion card.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Ah, we’ve all been there.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

movax posted:

I used my change to a Meshify to abandon my 5.25” drives… I used my optical drive maybe twice in the past five years. Bought a USB model and put it in my desk drawer, should I ever need one…

My optical drives just started working again with my new board, I put too many nvme drives in my old build and the SATA controller they were plugged into turned off due to lack of lanes, haha.

I did actually use it, I needed a network driver for the board from the cd because I guess z690 is still so new.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah if need be they’ll just send a dragon capsule with some astronauts to fix it I imagine

Dogen
May 5, 2002

What if we don’t have a 2TB and it’s in a PS5 and would be a pain in the rear end to move around

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah I have 3 Samsung drives but I just grabbed a WD 850x to switch my system drive off the 970 Evo plus. I’m done with them and their inexplicably high prices

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I picked up a 2tb WD black for like $170? Just buy that.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I got a SN850x recently because gently caress Samsung (though my old 970 Evo plus is still hanging out as extra nvme storage).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

No, it’s fine. I just installed one as a new system drive.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Just out of curiosity is doing 2x10gb (identical) using windows storage spaces reasonable just because I want one drive letter or is it a bad idea for some reason?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Klyith posted:

The second you have to think "this drive is getting full, I need to junction some folders over to another drive with free space" you have made a huge mistake.

Yeah, I'm just going to have to keep manually handling my poo poo somewhat, sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Fuschia tude posted:

What's the most performant M.2? Also why bother with bulk storage drives at all when you can get a 4TB for just over $200?

Maybe I want to cram 40+ gigs of media in a machine, why you gotta ask questions