Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
And the BIOS might only accept certain cards. You are likely do not be able to use the slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Evidently Optane pulls down ~1-1.2W at idle, so maybe not the first generation.

Optane is a complete no go on desktop systems. Who the gently caress wants to spend half a decent SSD on a stupid cache drive. Im really surprised the 'press' is covering like it is a reasonable solution for something.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ynglaur posted:

Can someone recommend me a good USB stick for a Surface 4 Pro to install Steam games on. The internal SSD is non-upgradeable and only has 256GB, and games like Crusader Kings II take up a lot of space.

Samsung has new MicroSD cards that have UFS tech which is basically SSD speeds in a MicroSD. I'd definitely get one of those when they become available.

quote:

http://www.networkworld.com/article/3095291/hardware/samsungs-new-ufs-memory-cards-as-fast-as-ssd-drives.html

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Uhhhhhh don't you need a USB adapter that can use the UFS standard and a USB port that can handle the throughput (which the surface does have)????

I could have sworn the Surface Pro 4 had a MicroSD slot...

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Intel needs to sell Optane to drive the costs down. It's a noble endeavor.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
830 is MLC 2 bit NAND. 840 EVO is TLC 3 bit NAND. 840 EVO is twice as big so will last longer... as long as the controller doesn't poo poo the bed and those do have read consistency problems.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Fleve posted:

Thanks, didn't know about the MLC/TLC difference and that size influenced lifespan. Time to switch to the larger one and be more diligent with my backups I guess. As far as I can gather from the SMART data the 840 seems to be in good shape. That probably doesn't say anything about the controller but I'll risk it.

The 840 EVO has serious read problems. The controller doesn't refresh data correctly and files sitting for a long time can start to read extremely slowly. They kind of fixed this with a firmware update which also burns through more nand. The 830 is likely to have higher performance. Also I haven't had any 830s die on me at all. I have had 4 84O evo and pros die on me. :/

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Fleve posted:

Aw bugger that sounds a lot more serious than I thought it would be. Well, and a bit better cause I kept thinking the 830 wasn't that great because I stupidly associated it with the SSD it originally seems to have replaced in the laptop, an mSATA Samsung PM851.

Then I'll just live with 128GB till I decide to replace it with a new drive. Thanks for the advice.

This is mostly academic. But yeah if the 128 hasn't been used much, probably use that drive.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

WD Black is within "good enough" for nvme drives like the 600p is, faster than the 600p in most cases but obviously much less endurance
I could have sworn the 600p had so-so endurance. TLC memory and Intel is conservative with their rating.
[edit] oh they fixed their ratings: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-600p-endurance-tbw-warranty,32798.html

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FSMC posted:

My 840 Evo kind of died last weekend. The timing is interesting and the way it's died has me curious, expecially as I can't perform a secure erase.
I had windows 10 installed with bitlocker.

Running windows restore from a live usb couldn't fix it. I tried various sata controllers/pcs. Some get further than others. So the best I can do it to run a linux live setup, and I can access and read 2 boot partitions and one recovery partition. The main partition is unreadable even at the dd level. So the disks isn't completely lost but I can't seem to perform a secure erase.

I've tried various tools, the samsung secure erase boot disk just says that it's not possible to secure erase the disk. hdparm can't perform a secure erase. More interestingly the hdparm tool get get the drive info but the security section about whether it is locked, etc is missing.

Has anyone experienced or herd of anything like this before? Is it possible for bitlocker to enable hardware encryption at a partition level rather than disk level? Is there any reason I can read from partition from a disk but performing secure erase or factory reset is not possible?

Samsung has a secure erase utility worth trying. Most likely you will have to pull the power cable out of the SSD while booted with the secure erase utility, then plug back in. The drives are locked at boot up and pulling power fixes that for some reason.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FSMC posted:

I've tried that, without any luck. For reference, I had another samsung ssd which I did perform a secure erase on which means I have a decent reference of what I need to do. But this ssd just appears to defy every guide and software I've come across. A normal samsung drive would say under the security section that it is locked, etc. but this drive doesn't even display that info.Oh and windows or any windows recovery tools just locks up when the drive is connected.

Yeah if recovery tools just lock up the drive is borked and time break out the hammer.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've got a Samsung 850 Pro 512GB drive that just threw a Windows unreadable sector error. Not too happy about that.. would you all just RMA it right off? Run CHKDSK /R? Throw out the window?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

nielsm posted:

Start with checking SMART data, Crystal Disk Info and/or Samsung Magician.

Hmmm...

edit: chkdsk locks up, *sigh* time to try a secure erase

redeyes fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 28, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

insularis posted:

I run 12 Linux/Windows VMs off of one 960 Pro at home, and it blows away my 24 disk standard SATA array at the office for speed and IOPS. Barely seems like it's ticking over.

Same with me except with a Intel 750 NVMe. drat drive doesn't even break a sweat doing 10+ VMs.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've had quite a few SSDs over the years from the original Sandforce drives to Samsung 850 Pros and now a Intel 750 NVMe. In all the older SSD cases the wear indicator never really went down maybe to 98% or 97% but nothing more. My 750 is now at 93% after 2 years of usage. I guess I'm just saying Intel seems to make their drives actually report wear whereas other controllers have BS numbers.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
All my sandforce drives failed with no wear out indicator action (firmware failure I think). All the Samsungs are still going. One 850 Pro 512GB unit threw a bad sector error so I backed it up and found a unreadable file. I secure erased it and restored backups and its been running fine since. The wear indicator is at %97 after 2 years.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
No that is the 840 EVO that has problems reading the older files.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I was able to update a ASROCK z77 mobo to boot nvme but they had a beta BIOS for that. Modifying the BIOS yourself? Good luck!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Aside from snake oil, it caused systems to throw out of memory errors.. when you still had enough memory.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The 850 EVO is way faster: http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-850-Evo-250GB-vs-Crucial-MX300-275GB/2977vs3642
Worth $60 bux to you? I dunno. My guess is you won't notice the difference.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I would really wonder if you get a Waranty with that. Also, you would need to verify it was not used.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Potato Salad posted:

I can't say I know for certain how an 840 EVO with stock overprovision is going to behave with those last 8GB of space available to the OS, and frankly I'm not sure how to find out.

Does the evo 840 wear leveling feature take advantage of overprovision space?

I am pretty sure it takes advantage of ANY free space, this includes over provisioning.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My number uno recommendation and upgrade for any business computer is a SSD. At this point I keep a rack of cheap Sandisk Ultra IIs for office peoples. A quick Acronis clone and "OMG THIS COMPUTER WASN"T THIS FAST BRAND NEW?!!"

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Even the most spergy nerd would consider this a waste of money.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

WhyteRyce posted:

If you're not paying close to 2 grand for your storage you might as well just give up using computers completely
I'm sure there is an Apple joke in there somewhere.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
In a business setting it wont matter one bit. For a RAID array maybe.. but I can't imagine anything huge.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Morales posted:

Just lost an Intel 256GB SSD in one of our new Dell SFF's...better not be a trend

Did it disappear or was it working enough to get data off?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I wouldn't go back to a non nvme system drive. It's not a massive difference, but it's still bigger then going from sandy > skylake, which I hardly noticed at all (except in games).

The difference for me is when I have more than one big i/o task going at once. Say you are copying a large file to your drive while also compiling something. No degradation in performance. Sweeeeet

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hold The Ashes posted:

I just built a new PC which switched from an Intel 750 to a Samsung 960 Pro and I'm not sure if I've installed it correctly, my mobo (AsRock Z270 Extreme4) had two M.2 slots, one near CPU which was directly under my GPU (1080 Ti) so I decided to put it in the farthest away slot which is near mobo headers since it had an intake fan going across it. I updated the firmware to the latest with Magician but I don't know if I need to be downloading anything else like the NVMe driver I had to for my 750.

Putting benchmark below in case it's laughably bad and I've obviously hosed up or something

Why did you do that? Odd. I'll give you a cookie if you can notice any difference.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
bullshit, you can swap mobos as long as the hard drive driver is compatible no issues, no (LOL) phantom code bugs. WTF does that mean anyways dude

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
To change from AMD to Intel, change the hard drive controller to Standard ACHI SATA. Same with from Intel to AMD. From AMD to Intel you might need to also remove the AMD chipset drivers after boot. Older AMD systems also have some non-upnp devices located under Device Manager -> View menu -> show hidden devices and then look under non-upnp and remove any AMD specific drivers, mostly anything PCI Express and power related.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Generic Monk posted:

yeah, the improvement in latency and iops alone from even the best hdds to the worst ssds is so embarassingly palpable in the course of normal desktop use that further improvements are unfortunately saddled with diminishing returns

To be honest I get the impression Windows itself has enough overhead that faster speed ssds don't feel faster. Shouldn't really be like that.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

crazypenguin posted:

The benefits of even faster SSDs are often hidden because of decompression. The applications where NVMe really shines are all areas where compression isn't used: initial boot, DBs, VMs, scratch disks.

If you've got only 4 cores then, for games and such, you're not going to see load times improvements from disks faster than 200ish MB/s, because that bottlenecks you on CPU, decompressing assets. And if you think about it, that's terrible. Even a 16 core threadripper could only handle 800ish MB/s?! SSDs are already well over 4 times that, bottlenecked on PCIe connectivity!

NVMe is such a big game changer that I continue to be slightly annoyed that the industry isn't moving faster to adapt. Intel should already be offering 4 more CPU lanes for consumers, and the industry should be arguing about picking a few algorithms to put in hardware, or just shipping FPGAs on consumer CPUs to handle the "decompression crisis". A small FPGA could easily handle GB/s of decompression.

...But then again, I guess nobody in the business really cares that much about gamers' load times, and I don't know that this bottleneck seriously impacts many other applications.

Decompressing assets? I thought audio and video were already compressed. Maybe textures and stuff like that?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

MX300 uses MLC NAND, so that'd be my pick.

I think the Samsung Pro series all use MLC too.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
If the BSOD mentions anything about windows system files, generally its RAM memory. Could also be corrupt HD but usually RAMs.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Geemer posted:

Counterpoint: When my old video card was dying it caused BSODs for ntoskrnl exclusively, instead of the AMD drivers like you'd have expected.

Eyah never ever seen that. Odd as heck.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Im_Special posted:

I'm on Window 10 with a Samsung 850 EVO, and maybe "Trim" is the wrong word here, what I'm referring to is that "XX days since last run", this seems to vary with everyone, like with this picture (not mine). (Isn't this just a Trim command?)

Yeah thats a trim pass. What it does is zero out deleted data getting the NAND cells ready to be written. Zeroing out the cells takes a poo poo load longer than writing to cells so instead of doing the whole thing as you delete something, it schedules it for idle time.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I'd take Optane over that. Maybe.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

Can the 900p run in DMI mode like NVRAM cards can? The x8 ones running in that mode can get something like 10million IOPS, it’s crazy. They have a supercap though for data backup to flash and the cards top out at like 16GB usually.

DMI is slower than directly connected to the CPU, so just use the upper 16x slot generally. The bottom 16x slot is usually DMI connected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Don't do that. It will outperform single SATA at sustained reads and writes but be slower for random accesses. TRIM will not work. Bad upgrade path.