Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Wilford Cutlery posted:

How can anything from Crucial be "Recommended"?
There needs to be a company "expect support from" list consisting of only the big three because companies like Kingston and Crucial won't usually honor warranties unless you make a hitpost on Newegg about it.

If you live in civilized areas, like the EU, you don't have to worry about whether the company itself will cover it, because you can bring it back to the retailer and get a replacement and then the retailer gets to bitch at said company for not honoring warranty as per EU laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

M.2 isn't something pc builders can buy in droves and "get", M.2 is still currently a madhouse with sata-only/pci-only m.2 sockets and mobo manufacturers still not making up their mind on what type they want to keep using (ideally they should be both sata and pcie, but the pcb traces are comedy)

also, the 850s are already 99% at the sata cap on both I/O and throughput.

AIC 960s would sound pretty good though

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

HMS Boromir posted:

Can you elaborate on this? Every single ASRock, MSI and ASUS Z170 motherboard I could find (save one that had no M.2 slot at all) claims to support 'PCIe Gen3 x4/SATA' or 'both PCIe and SATA' mode or such. Is the problem only present in motherboards with lower end chipsets or am I missing something?
The latter, which most people use for budget builds. It's nice that Intel is lowering the price of that sort of thing, but depending on the coming years there'll be some teething issues on people upgrading wondering why 960 EVOs and 600ps aren't working on Haswell boards.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Chelb posted:

Should I be expecting a bunch of deals on ssd's come Black Friday?
The x400 if people still don't realize it's a good drive :ssh:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

If they're lucky those slots have a PCIE x2 mode :kiddo:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGsDWRxfjTk&t=3396s

Anyone got any info or confirmation on this?

Apparently, both Firefox and Chrome write their respective recovery sessions every 15 seconds. Firefox supposedly does 10GB a day and this will eventually kill an SSD faster than normal unless you tweak the settings.

Yep, it's a thing.

Not sure why it isn't something like 3 minutes by default.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I could never understand people who keep hundreds of tabs open. Most content these days expires an hour after it's generated so 3/4 of those will become 404s or session expires

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

There was a bit of talk about it on anandtech for a while but nobody here paid attention at the time.

Also I love that they're selling the WD brand name for an extra $50 for an upclocked x400 :allears:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

PerrineClostermann posted:

There's no point to these drives at those prices.
There is, it's "making money off of people who don't know what Sandisk is"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Surely the QD1 IOPs on those things is worth it--

32GB

:yikes:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Micron is to Intel as GF is to AMD

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Floptane

Why did they release it while it is so far behind all projected performance metrics?
most likely micron having to sell ANYTHING to stay afloat

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What'd be nice would be that high-cap ~300/300MB/sec 2TB drive that was supposedly going to come out months ago and never did. My guess is there's too little profit in selling an 'archive-style' SSD yet that's 2x faster than an HDD with faster seeks.
That and it's kind of a lot of traces on a PCB and thus many more points of failure

We might see those when QLC is actually a thing though

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Domestic Amuse posted:

My 256GB 850 EVO died a few days ago, so I've been looking at some affordable alternatives. Right now, I'm torn between the Intel 540s and Crucial MX300. Any other suggestions?
I'd hope you mean an 840 evo that's just out of warranty, but if it is indeed an 850 you should be able to RMA it.

The Sandisk x400 and Crucial MX300 are both good choices, but if you're not in any place that has consumer protection like most of the EU and Australia, keep in mind that Crucial are incredibly difficult to wrangle an RMA from.

Do not get an Intel 540s. It has the dubious distinction of being worse than the BX200, which itself is an achievement.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Domestic Amuse posted:

And yes, it was a 850 EVO that suddenly died on me. It's emitting a weird buzzing noise every time it's hooked up to a SATA power source, so I'm thinking maybe a voltage regulator or some other component went bad.
RMA it so you have a spare SSD :v:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

PerrineClostermann posted:

This deal just keeps getting worse all the time.
i don't want to think about how that will end up when seagate inevitably buys micron from their own personal memory industry hell

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

El Grillo posted:

Having a hard time fighting out which would be faster for gaming - my 250gb evo 840, or the 275gb mx300 in being given for my birthday. I'm presuming they'll be pretty much on a par but I haven't really kept up with the tech, what do people think?
The MX300. The 840 evo has unresolved performance issues when it's actually filled to a significant amount, while Micron is really overzealous about overprovisioning (13-14% on their consumer drives) plus it's a newer drive with a better controller.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

850 evo only comes in SATA, but the M.2 slot supports both sata m.2 and nvme m.2

if this sounds confusing to you, you've figured out why m.2 hasn't taken off all that much!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Risket posted:

Anyway, I want to replace the Cheetahs with SSDs because I don't want to deal with this again. This system will be doing some heavy video editing, as well as high frame rate 4K playback (48, 60, maybe even 120fps in the far far far future). Due to the system configuration I'm limited to 2.5" form factor drives, and if I'm reading the OP right my best bet would probably be the Intel DC series. Am I right in thinking this, and could you recommend a particular model number?
Thanks
if you have a board revision c.1 or better the 845dc pro is a much better option

the 850 pro is for all intents and purposes the same drive and much cheaper but is not officially warrantied for enterprise uses like this.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/M2M/html/ssd845dcpro/compatibility.html#ssd845dcpro_adaptec

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Is there something terrible about crucial BC200s that means I shouldn't pick one up for 2/3 the price of an MX300 of equivalent size?
BX200s, and yes, you do not want those. MX300 is an OK drive and is often price competitive, though the caveat is that Crucial support is like pulling teeth and it's not uncommon to have your RMA be ignored until you post a bad review on amazon or newegg

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

IOPs get exponentially worse for SSDs the more are put into a RAID configuration so lol

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

VulgarandStupid posted:

That was only for Z170 because it only had 20 lanes, 16 were reserved for the PCI-E slot. Z270 has 24 lanes and this shouldn't be the case.
I don't have particularly high hopes for manufacturers not just taking 170 designs and slapping the 270 chips on them

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Sandisk is one of the few companies that will honor warranties with relatively little hassle as well

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Sandisk is probably going the way of HGST, ie enterprise/prosumer oriented with better warranties and service with mostly product lines that don't directly compete with WD's.

Though Sandisk is still a name worth marketshare especially with smartphones and cameras, so we'll probably still see all SD cards with the branding.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SourKraut posted:

Aren't the WD Blues just rebranded Sandisk X400s currently?
Also overclocked, which apparently hosed everything up

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

not the overclocking specifically but there are bugs in the WD blue SSD's custom (WD's) firmware that I can't pull out at the moment, potato salad can probably illuminate you on this

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

this kind of poo poo is why i never buy any laptops but lenovo thinkpads and asus/msi

MaxxBot posted:

I've seen a lot of benchmarks showing zero or tiny improments going from a SATA SSD to an NVMe SSD even in things like game loading. Is this a case where the software hasn't caught up to the hardware or does having faster and lower latency storage beyond SATA SSDs really not help games load faster? I've seen cases where a game load took 30+ seconds with both the SATA and NVMe drives, that's a really long time by modern PC standards. What is going on that takes up that much time and yet isn't improved by faster storage?
games use high-efficiency (slow) asset compression because of consoles using primarily hard drives and unfortunately this hamstrings stuff like SSHDs and SSDs

hilariously the only game that doesn't gently caress itself over on an SSD is doom 4 and mostly because it loads 6 gigs of assets per level so it still takes like 20 seconds to load, it just takes 2-3 minutes on a hard drive :unsmigghh:

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 15, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

metallicaeg posted:

What's wrong with this? It's either a full SATA drive or this adapter with an mSATA drive. There's no performance difference.
it was more that you get so many oddball configurations like this

also the fact that you can't fix most dell laptops nowadays without literally breaking them as I've learned over the last week :shepicide:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

Why not just do the unpacking the first time the game is played? Saved the uncompressed assets to the local storage.
it would be nice for game engines to have an "ssd mode" where this sort of thing would actually work but coding something for what at most, 3% of your customer base would do isn't work-hour economical

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the 1500mb/sec burst reads are mighty nice anyhow

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/toshiba-wd-semiconductor-nand-spin-off,33448.html

:stonklol:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

priznat posted:

That's interesting stuff! Although Seagate is doing a fair amount of nvme flash stuff but mostly just enterprise.

WD is positioned super well and having SanDisk, WD and HGST brands gives quite the range from low end consumer to enterprise.

I am biased because my company sells controllers to wd/hgst, now hopefully they don't pull a samsung and start making their own.
i foresee a merger between seagate and micron

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SourKraut posted:

Am I correct in assuming that ADATA is still a completely poo poo brand to avoid?
Yes

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

dissss posted:

My work PC has an SU800 in it. It seems to be fine so far, but definitely isn't something I'd have bought myself.
At least you don't have to deal with the complete and utter lack of a returns policy

At least Crucial honors RMAs if you post a bad review on Newegg/Amazon

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

I'd happily take an ADATA with a SF2200
Thanks to Seagate that's no longer possible.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

gonna have to wait until manufacturers other than intel (which surprised me) start the race to the bottom on nvme

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

NAND shortage is a hell of a thing.
the reason it's happening is pretty funny: everyone transitioning fabs to 3d nand and it taking longer than usual causing a shortage of supply since there are fewer fabs active

it'll blow over before people really feel the price squeeze, at worst it'll just mean the x400 costs $20 more

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Agrajag posted:

so does that mean there will be a massive price drop once they start cranking out 3d nand from the new fabs?
if one of the undercutters will it to be, yes

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

replacing a 512gb nvme drive with a lovely platter drive and giving the laptop back to your workplace seems like a really slick way of fencing for money since most people wouldn't actually notice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Dali Parton posted:

What kind of situations cause overheating? I just play videogames so I'd say that's a pretty common use.
actually using the sick throughput