Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
Are people really certain that the U.2 connector won't take off? I know they're rare at the moment but so is NVMe itself. The same PCIe lane limitations apply equally to both, but the "being able to space stuff out" factor seems like a bonus.

Also, is it still the case that there are no ways to have SSD TRIM work with RAID1 arrays? I seem to recall that only linux mdadm could do it if you hacked away at it right - obviously not an option on Windows. Seems odd that you have to choose speed or redundancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
It also doesn't help that the wikipedia page for U.2 redirects to the SATA Express page, which gives the speeds for the 2x PCIe lane configurations only - not those possible when using the U.2 connector, which are identical to the M.2 connector.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yes. M.2 supports 3 different protocols: Legacy SATA, AHCI over PCIe, and NVMe over PCIe.

I think one of the three supported protocols is USB3, and you can lump SATA and AHCI together, but that doesn't really change the answer.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Isn't this the one that has limited usage, since it lacks its own PLX chip to split the lanes? Might be a Skylake-X only thing. The talk of unused CPU lanes would support this.

There do exist other such devices with their own PLX, and seem to work generally.