Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Kerbtree posted:

Is there any way to make things easier if I’m looking to pull the contents of a couple of drives onto a single one? Even if it’s fairly straightforward to pull anything from Steam across nowadays, I’ve realised there’s a ton of shortcuts to things and stuff like emulators with “d:\blah\things\discs” in their configs.

If there aren't better fix, the command 'subst' can be used to make a virtual D-drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

namlosh posted:

So I'd like to upgrade it as easily and cheaply as possible. I figure even though she's using like 25% of the available hard drive space, I'll get a 1TB so it'll be an easy clone.

The only thing that was really confusing was that the manual and such mentions that it'll take a M.2 drive? should I look into getting one of those? or does it not matter and I should just grab a cheap 2.5-inch SSD?
if it doesn't matter, is this one ok?

I think the biggest pro for the M.2 is the easier cloning, no need to get an USB-SATA adapter. But the manual is a bit confusing. It says it's probably missing the shield, maybe also the M.2 screw.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

But the truth is that those brands aren't anymore trustworthy than WD. Just keep good backups and don't worry about it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Harik posted:

What's the smallest SSD you'd consider 'reliable' nowadays? Use is a tradeshow demo setup where even 64gb is massive overkill. It's off 99% of the time, minimal writes when running and gets shipped around the country by freight a lot.

I suggest Intel Optane 16GB M.2 NVMe sticks, they are available plentiful on eBay for $5.