Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
You must have some ram cache on, pcie3 x4 maxes out at 3.5GB/s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Don't forget about file integrity of your backups, it why people love zfs, every sector has a checksum and you can schedule "scrub" jobs that will detect silent data corruption. You don't want to manually search through thousands of pictures to find the corrupt ones.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You could get 4GB/s with a WD Black AN1500. You can also boot nvme on any chipset using a boot loader.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I just setup my zfs pool with optane for special metadata and slog. I’m not feeling a difference loading a directory of linux isos so far and I have much more complex setup now.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I have an adata drive that doesn’t work with pcie passthough. So cheap drives are bad at server stuff.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

priznat posted:

The optanes are pretty nice too but the 750 is still my fav. I have no need of buying any ssds I just like to reminisce about it lol

At my old job they were the first ssds we had in production, over 5+ years I saw dozens of other ssds go bad but the 750s were as good as new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Shumagorath posted:

Optane sounds fun, but what's the appeal of wedding your system to dead-end tech?

It’s a dead end but its write endurance is basically infinite compared to normal ssds.