Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Klyith posted:

2TB drives still cost more $/GB than 1TB, but if you've got circa $250 the upside is that you have limited m.2 slots. After you fill those, further expansion is still possible but kinda annoying (you have to buy a slot->m.2 card).

PCIe 4 drives have a big cost premium and no appreciable performance advantage in current desktop apps & games. It will probably take a full development cycle before they start to matter. IMO they are not worth buying now, because by the time games come out that actively use that bandwidth they'll be a lot cheaper.

Heatsinks don't matter, especially if it's a lower slot that's not right next to the CPU & GPU.

Also a thing to consider is that SATA SSDs do still exist and aren't chopped liver. So one possibility, if you're pretty set on the PC you have being good for the long haul but worried about wanting a PCIe 4 drive in 2-3 years, is to grab a cheap sata drive. The discount is minimal -- MX500 1TB $95 vs WD SN550 $105, though at 2TB the $175 QVO is kinda attractive. The point is it's an SSD, sata performance is still totally usable, and is a way to punt on the decision. You'll always have spare sata ports.

PS5 games are designed to take advantage of PCIe 4 speeds. That's one of the console's most prominent selling points. Wouldn't ports of those be well suited to take advantage of a PCIe 4 m.2, or are we just expecting port developers to not bother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Speaking of these PCIe 4 SSDs, the 1TB SN850 is $172 on amazon for Prime Day if anyone was thinking about getting one. There's a version that comes with a heatsink that costs over $50 more. Is there any reason to get that rather than some cheap $15 generic nvme heatsink if heat is a concern?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 21, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, but you can be web slinging around the city in spiderman 5 seconds after selecting its icon in the dashboard (cold boot), which may not be life changing, but it's already way cooler than anything cell ever did (or pretended to do).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

These prices are always changing, but the 1TB SN750 is just $10 more than the SN550 on Amazon right now. That puts it firmly in the "May as well, why not?" category. I get that the performance increases are not always going to be all that noticeable, but, i mean, it's $10.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

repiv posted:

Someone emailed gaben about the Steamdeck SSD situation and he said there's an m.2 2230 slot, even on the base version that doesn't come with NVMe

Does anyone know a good source of 2230 drives? There's a random assortment on eBay but they seem hard to come by new outside of OEM channels

Is there a source for this I can link to other people?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I honestly doubt there's going to be any noticeable difference in performance between any of these drives for your uncle. He'd only see the difference in benchmarks, very large file transfers, and in like database work maybe.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SSD prices have been coming down, and there are a number of options at or near the SN550's price now. The PNY XLR8 CS3030 is just $100 for a TB on Amazon right now and is a better performer than the SN550 on paper, for one example.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

God dammit. Are there any drives that haven't had their components quietly swapped out for inferior ones after reviews?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Adata is now selling their XPG Gammix S70 in a PS5-friendly form factor with a thin heat spreader instead of their previous massive, ineffective heatsink for $150 MSRP it seems: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093DP3X4H?tag=eurgam-df-us-20&th=1

That's a really good price for the speed, PS5 or no. Tweaktown reviewed it and liked it: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/9923/adata-xpg-gammix-s70-blade-2tb-ssd/index.html

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well, as soon as they noticed people were buying it in droves, they rose the price to $170/$330 lmao

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Agreed, most people are overpaying, but the Blade at $150 was still a good deal. $170, less so. The Sabrent Rocket Q4 at $140 for a TB is also a good deal, but you'll probably want an aftermarket heatsink for the PS5 (sony recommends one, at least). The Corsair Force MP600 is also around $150 for 1TB, and it comes with a heatsink that just barely fits in the PS5 apparently. And I've tried to tell people that 5000 MB/s is all you really need, but everyone's going out and buying SN850s and 980 Pros anyway. :shrug:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, the PS5 straight-up refuses to boot with a Gen 3 drive plugged in. No way around it. There are a handful of gen 3 drives that have gen 4 versions though, like the SN750.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I once used an m.2 drive for a month before screwing it in because I lost the screw for it. I just left it sticking out, hanging there all that time. It survived!

(do not do this)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CerealKilla420 posted:

How much power do NVME drives use?

I hit my power limit after installing my 970 plus earlier today and it made my system pretty unstable when I had my ram overclocked to 3200mhz.

I unplugged two hard drives I was barely using and now it's running fine.

I'm assuming I was just touching the power limit?

While researching the issue I found some forums mention that they were able to solve the problem by raising the SOC voltage.

Are NVME drives powered by the SOC or the motherboard power?

You mean it was unstable while idling at the desktop? Or only when your system was under load? Because if it was unstable at idle too then it wasn't a power issue. Trust me when I say that your other components are drawing far more power than some m.2 drives.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well, apparently the 1TB SN550's SLC cache is just 12GB, so I can see it slowing down quite a bit during some big game installs and that kind of thing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Is it expected for the NVMe drive to run hotter at idle?

SATA SSD is at 42 degrees C, the new NVMe 52. (and the HDD 35)

Or is it possibly the fault of the case? The two drives are in different places. The NVMe is on a riser.

Yes, NVMe drives run hotter than SATA drives. There's more data being processed and stuff by the controller. 52C is maybe slightly on the warm side for idle but it's not an alarming temperature or anything. That's fine.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/ps5-ssd-upgrade-temperature-testing

Toms Hardware tested various states of heatsink on and off, and drive bay cover on and off for SSDs on the PS5. The TL;DR is that removing the metal cover is indeed good enough, and that may not even be necessary. The test seems kinda half-assed, though. Didn't test the 980 Pro thermals (yes, it's obvious that similar differences will occur, but not the absolute temperatures. does the 980 Pro get excessively hot in places the SN850 didn't?), and they also didn't test gaming performance at all. It's unlikely to be affected either way, but it would be nice to see.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That's a free copy of BF2042 with the SN750, if google translate isn't failing me? If you are going to buy BF2042 either way, then I would look at it this way: the price of that drive appears to be cheaper than the combined price of BF2042 on steam and the cheapest, shittiest NVMe drives out there (according to PCPartPicker's norwegian price checking system). That makes it a good deal if you're going to buy the game anyway.

The SN750 the kind of SSD we don't typically recommend because it's in that awkward middle spot where you should either go cheaper (the WD SN550) because the raw read/write stats aren't important to you, or you should step up to a PCIe Gen 4 drive. But in a vacuum it's fine. There's nothing really wrong with that drive from what I can tell. If you have a good deal on your hands, then you may as well I guess.

Though the one other point I'd bring up is that Battlefield 2042 will be free on Game Pass through microsoft's partnership with EA and their EA Pass program. So if you're a game pass member, then having an owned copy of BF2042 is optional, and you should probably just buy an SN550 instead (this is assuming that game pass is a thing in norway and the selection is the same)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Geemer posted:

I'm sorry. I misread that specification that got posted and thought it said "SATA5 and SATA6 ports will be unavailable when installing a M.2 device in [the second] M.2 slot." for some reason.

Because that's how B550 works. Zen 3 with B550 has a few more lanes to play with though, I believe.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It should also be printed near the ports on the PCB, or I'd hope so at least.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

LLCoolJD posted:

I hope so! The motherboard is an MSI X99A SLI PLUS. Seems to be NVME, both from online compatibility checks and from peeping into the chassis and seeing the connection.

No, what he means is that a drive that connects to a m.2 slot can use either the SATA interface or the PCIe interface. Those that do the latter are NVMe drives and are much faster than those that do the former. What drive did you buy?

It probably won't be an issue. There aren't many m.2 SATA drives floating around. If you search for an m.2 SSD online, you'll get nothing but NVMe drives at the top of the list.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 4TB Samsung 870 QVO was around $300 for a week at the end of July. I'm hoping for a similar deal during black friday. Is there any reason to avoid the 870 as a fast mass storage drive to store my ever-growing game backlog on?

I might get an NVMe instead if a 4TB one drops to $350 or so, but that seems less likely. It would be sweet being able to ditch all my 2.5" and 3.5" storage though. edit: Or not, because my m.2 slots are filled up already and the only extra x4 PCIe slot on my B550 board is three slots down from the x16 slot, which is uncomfortably close to my chonker GPU. This is one area where I'm jealous of the upcoming Z690 boards. Those things often have four or five M.2 slots built in. Just look at this thing

gently caress sata, just m.2 all the way down baby.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 1, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Raw transfer bandwidth is not important for game loading, so if western digital has some secret awesome new kind of nand flash, then it makes sense that a gen 3 drive could outperform a gen 4 one. The extra pcie bandwidth is unnecessary anyway.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Best Buy has the 1tb m.2 San disk ultra for 79

Lots of good deals right now. There's the 1TB Intel 670p for $85, for one. NVMe storage is, along with DDR4, rapidly dropping in price right now. Every couple weeks there's a new omg amazing best deal. It's nice, though high-capacity SSDs aren't dropping in price as much as I'd like, which is a bummer. I want someone to give me an excuse to throw out all of my SATA drives.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 24, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gen 4 Corsair MP600 Core (QLC drive), 2TB for $220: https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Sequential-High-Speed-Interface-Heatspreader-dp-B08TB1D2WC/dp/B08TB1D2WC/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1

That would make a good PS5 drive, which is a use case where the downsides of QLC don't really come into play.

The TLC version is $250 for 2TB: https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Sequential-High-Speed-Interface-Heatspreader-dp-B07SNGBW84/dp/B08TB1D2WC/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1

Lots of good deals on 2TB drives, plenty of sub $200 ones for Gen 3 drives. No great deals on 4TB NVMe drives, though the SanDisk Ultra is $300. I wanted to go SATA-less, but I guess I'm getting this because NVMe drives aren't price-competitive at this level of capacity yet. It's finally time to say goodbye to the last of the spinning rust in my system.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 26, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Except during extraordinary times like the last couple years, prices on storage always trends downward, and it's been that way for all of computing history. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I have learned to not be afraid of "low" TBW endurance ratings of around 300. My oldest SSD is a Samsung 850 EVO bought 4 years ago (I was a latecomer to the SSD bandwagon...). It was used as a system drive for three of those years, and it has only 33TB written. My Firecuda 510 was bought two years ago and has been my system drive for the last year, and it's got 20TB written. The firecuda with its ridiculous 1300TBW endurance rating may end up outliving me, assuming i don't throw it in the trash once we all move to 3d holographic storage or whatever the hell's coming next. edit: samsung's warranty only covers 150TBW for my 850 Evo. Just 14 years of life left at this rate :sweat:

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 3, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I just got my 4TB sandisk ultra in the mail today ($300 over the weekend), so I hope that at least isn't a secretly downgraded piece of junk.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I recommended the S7 on the basis that it was affordable and available at the one store Zarin said they could shop for this at, and I did so just because I wanted one drive to point Zarin to since it seemed like they were overthinking this purchase. But now I see that overthinking has ballooned out and spilled over to a whole new thread :v:

So here's the deal: it really doesn't matter what drive you get as long as it meets some decent baseline specs and it isn't made by a total nobody. The use case for this drive is very undemanding and the performance difference between all of these drive options at Gen 3 are just a few percent. S7, SN750, SN570, P5, 970 Evo Plus Mega... I like the Intel 670p these days because it's cheap now and has a generous SLC cache, but at the end of the day, it's all gonna be the same for someone who just wants a fast game drive. The SN750 is a fine choice, so Zarin can stop worrying about it now they've pulled the trigger on a purchase. :)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 16, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

How much does DRAM actually matter for the fairly average use case of gaming/spreadsheet/documents/hobby video editing + encoding?

Because going by buildapacsales, it seems mighty important. But I'm on an SN750 and can't really say I've ever noticed anything... certainly no hitching or stuttering which is what I'd assume DRAM would be there to prevent.

In NVMe SSDs it doesn't really matter at all for regular home usage. People like to cite poor write performance, but drives like the SN750 have very respectable sustained write performance despite the lack of DRAM:

The SN750 starts out at 3500MB/s for 14GB until it exhausts its SLC cache, at which point it maintains a steady 1600MB/s. This is pretty good performance. Apparently write performance suffers without DRAM when using the SATA protocol, but something about the NVMe protocol makes it not a big deal? I have no idea about the specifics. I would pay more attention to SLC cache and sustained write performance on modern SSDs instead.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 17, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

For a given product line, SLS cache usually scales with capacity, right? So does that mean a 2TB model would have longer peak speeds than the 1TB model (of the same line)?

Usually, though SLC cache can also scale with free space, though I don't know if that's strictly linear or what.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Is there an easy, clean way of getting rid of Windows system files without resorting to formatting the drive? (obviously, this would be for secondary drives, not the OS drive)

Disk Cleanup can remove a lot of it. Load it up, click on "clean up system files," then select "previous windows installation" and whatever else shows up that seems safe to remove.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gen 5 drives are coming:

https://videocardz.com/newz/adata-shows-off-pcie-gen5-m-2-ssds-with-up-to-14-gb-s-sequential-read-speed
https://videocardz.com/press-release/samsung-launches-enterprise-pcie-gen5-ssd-with-up-to-13-gb-s-read-and-6-6-gb-s-write-speed

Up to 14GB/s :supaburn: (sequential read only)

I believe Asus' stupidly overpriced top-end Z690 motherboard is the only consumer board on the market right now that has a gen 5 m.2 slot (and it requires you to run the x16 slots in bifurcated x8/x8 mode and then disable the second slot to use the m.2 slot in gen 5 mode). Everyone else will have to use a board that can support gen 5 bifurcation and then use a pcie to m.2 adapter, which is probably smarter than what asus is doing anyway.

or actually you shouldn't bother with any of that because not even gen 4 does anything yet for the vast majority of regular users, let alone gen 5.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Coxswain Balls posted:

With game installs being 100GB+ now it's getting annoying being able to have only one game installed at a time, so I should take advantage of a Boxing Day deal to upgrade my 256GB Samsung 840 Pro. I haven't followed hardware stuff in a long time, is it just a matter of getting a 1TB 870 Evo, or are there better options to look at now instead of just going Samsung? These are going to be my options in $CAD:

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Category/HardDrives?FilterID=f0839e00-ebc9-7d8e-7b98-67879ade4b67&InventoryType=InStock&Inventory=WpgW

Does your motherboard have an m.2 slot? I'd look at an m.2 drive first and foremost. The ones classified as "NVMe" drives are much faster. Something like this would be more along the lines of what you want if your system can support it. It's much faster than the 870 Evo while also being cheaper.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Coxswain Balls posted:

My motherboard is an Asus P8Z77-V LX from 2013 so 6.0Gbps SATA is what I'm limited to, I'm afraid.

In that case, the general recommended best value 2.5" SSD right now is the Crucial MX500. For some reason Memory Express doesn't carry it, but a bunch of other canadian shops do: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/h3tQzy/crucial-mx500-1tb-25-solid-state-drive-ct1000mx500ssd1

If you need to shop at memory express for some reason then the 870 Evo is still a very good pick.

edit: vvvv oh yeah, go with that 1TB WD Blue

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 25, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SK Hynix finalizes the first phase of their acquisition of Intel's NAND business and names the new entity... "Solidigm" https://videocardz.com/press-releas...solidgm-company

Look forward to purchasing new "Solidigm" SSDs soon, I guess.

Solidigm

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

on my 500GB 850 EVO:

such blazing fast speeds :supaburn:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

New best value Gen 4 drive? https://www.techpowerup.com/review/adata-xpg-atom-50-1-tb/

5000/4500 R/W, solid random read/writes, good real-world performance. A Gen 4 controller that runs cool under heavy load, even with low airflow and no heatsink. $120 for 1TB, which is the price the SN550 was at six months ago. Wild.

It's adata though, so who knows what you're getting if you buy this after the launch batch.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 16, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PCIe 3.0 NVMe controllers generated some heat but generally not enough to matter except in unusual conditions. 4.0 controllers generated a good bit more heat, and some drives can thermal throttle during regular operation without a heatsink, though it's usually not bad enough to matter much. 5.0 is expected to be a substantial step up again, with heat dissipation now potentially being a serious problem for all NVMe drives of that spec across most use cases. The solution?

Massive loving heatsinks. Thanks, Thermalright. http://www.thermalright.com/product/hr-09-2280-pro/

Or maybe we should make drive controllers that don't constantly overheat, idk

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Klyith posted:

People have been selling pointlessly-oversize heatsinks since about 5 minutes after NBMe drives came out, including watercooling.

Power consumption of PCIe 4 drives is on average higher than 3, but not by enough to make ginormous heatsinks at all needed. They consume 6-7 watts during RL operations rather than 4-5. That still doesn't need a major heatsink to deal with in a normal desktop configuration. It's only a problem if you hotbox it in a laptop or the PS5's SSD coffin.

Which is why I get the impression that this sort of oversized heatsink is designed for 5.0 drives instead. I don't know how much power those controllers will use, but early reports indicate that they could be pretty toasty chips.

I mean, heatsinks that large will be overkill with 5.0 too, but I think that's the idea, at least.