Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
Can you link to the store you're looking at? Might make it easier. From the info you pasted it seems like they're the same drive but I am not sure. MZVPV512HDGL-00000 is a Samsung part number but I don't see a Samsung part number in the second one you pasted. So I'm not sure if they're different or how. I'm unsure about SM951 but I know for other lines of Samsung SSD they have had multiple part numbers for the same drive where the differences are things like packaging and included accessories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Kaleidoscopic Gaze posted:

They probably just run a diagnostic and say "well, it works" and call it a day.

Welcome to the world of refurbished computer parts and systems in general.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Another reason I'm never enamored with Microcenter's 'Open Boxes,' especially with regards to new GPUs. If someone returned it, it's usually because it's got coil whine or some other kind of annoying defect or quirk of manufacturing.
On the one hand, I can tell you that when I worked in retail in a previous life a shitload of people would return stuff because they think its not compatible (PEBKAC pretty much every time) or some insanely dumb reason like "it wasnt as fast as i thought" (yeah it was only as fast as the benchmarks show.) So I totally bought some open box stuff at a discount back then, cause I worked at a store that actually tested stuff and I could just talk to the guy that tested it. That's a pretty important point, actually testing stuff. I dunno what the odds are of some place like microcenter or best buy actually testing returns. I don't think I personally would risk buying anything open box at a best buy type of place.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
This one says it supports PCIe m.2 drives and is usb 3.1: https://www.amazon.ca/USB3-1-Adapter-Converter-External-Enclosure/dp/B00W76CTAY

I've never heard of the brand, not sure if it's any good or not. It's also an enclosure so if you're doing a bunch of drives in a row it's not exactly the best option. However the only thing I could find by a brand I'm familiar with (which was StarTech) specifically said SATA only.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The thing is that the random 4k performance is by far the most important metric and as you can see in the charts posted earlier a SSD will be 40-100 times faster in that type of work so yeah, even with the bottleneck a SSD will be vastly faster than any HDD.
Listen to this guy he is smart and is correct. An SSD is still so super worth it.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
There are different keys but it's a mess. B key is usually used for SATA or PCIe x2 SSDs, M key usually used for PCIe x4 SSDs. However it is permissible under the standards to make a SATA SSD with M keying. Also I believe a lot of motherboards have sockets that are both B and M keyed, regardless of the actual compatibility. m.2 is confusing

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/02/understanding-m-2-the-interface-that-will-speed-up-your-next-ssd/

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

This is right. Modern SSDs don't need any babying and will last much longer than you'll need them for.
Yup. Also some of the stuff people sometimes consider moving, such as internet browser cache for example, is stuff that can benefit from the performance of an SSD. SSD endurance/lifespan is essentially a non issue for home users at this point.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
drat, a bit disappointing if you ask me. Seems like the 850 EVO outperforms it on basically any test. Pricing seems about the same on pcpartpicker so I don't know if it's much of a budget option. I'd say a 600p is a perfectly valid option if/when it goes on sale cheaper, or if say someone is doing a tiny SFF build that absolutely must have an m.2 NVMe drive for space reasons. But if I personally was writing the OP I think I would present the 600p as a niche option for those scenarios.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
In practice when shopping for a new motherboard, if it is an m.2 slot that specifies support for PCIe SSDs you are going to be able to use an NVMe drive. The big thing you're looking to avoid is an m.2 slot that only allows SATA.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
The motherboard vendor websites often have a list of compatible/"qualified" SSDs, sometimes int he manual often as a separate download. It should have NVMe SSDs on it so then you'd know for sure.

All new PCIe SSDs have been using NVMe for a while now so I don't think you are going to find any new motherboards which have a m.2 slot supporting PCIe SSDs but have issues with NVMe.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Is there any way to know what you're going to get in a laptop as the OEM drive? Just found a mSATA adapter with an SK Hynix drive in a little 2.5" bracket in this Dell.
Seconding "no." I saw a few weird things like this in both OEM desktops and laptops when I did computer repair. Especially in Dell actually but also in other OEMs. At least when requesting parts information through authorized service center channels they don't seem to be aware of or care about this stuff. For example we were replacing the 2.5" HDD in a dell laptop under warranty authorized service, they sent us a normal 2.5" drive to replace what from the factory was an mSATA drive in an adapter sled like your photo. I'm guessing when they look up the model information in their system they just see 2.5" sata drive on the specs, and probably only some units have the msata-in-adapter thing going on. Actually come to think of it though I think that's the only case like that where we contacted the OEM for parts, other systems like that we saw were out of warranty.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

1gnoirents posted:

Lol I just got an SSD off a friend who's more or less new to computers. He told me it was a "1.7 tb ssd hard drive drive ?? I got 2 of them from a coworker i only need one". I thought he just misspoke. I have it in hand now and it is indeed an unopened Sandisk Cloudspeed 1.7 TB Gen II manufactured a month ago. I couldn't even find it for sale online outside of ebay.

My price: $80

:monocle:
Holy poo poo

Nice

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
It's definitely stolen, come on it's worth almost 10 times what you paid for it. I'm not gonna argue you should care but don't imagine it's not stolen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Halman posted:

I'm cheap

quote:

I can't decide between the EVO and the Pro.
Does not compute.

Seriously did you do any research at all or even read this thread before posting in it?

I'm not sure why I'm asking when I already know