Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

How can anything from Crucial be "Recommended"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

"Performance looks, comparable with the heatsink's, and..." Did you leave something out?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bob NewSCART posted:

I was just eyeing a Samsung 850 evo that's a daily on eBay for 89.99. Those are one of the more highly recommended drives correct?

Yep, the most recommended one here.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

SlayVus posted:

Does anyone know if there is a company that makes SATA power connectors meant for 3.5 to 2x2.5 drive bays? I'm trying to find ones that basically put the connectors right next to each other and have a 90* downward turn. I don't anyone knows of such thing and I'll probably have to make my own.

You could see if Molex has something like that.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Combat Pretzel posted:

Chrome is frequently writing a lot of tiny updates to the loving cookie database, even when it's idling.

Chrome://Settings, click on Advanced, then scroll down to System. Uncheck "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed"

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

OhFunny posted:

You're suppose to leave 10-20% of the space on a SSD free right?

or was that for HDDs?

Right, for SSDs

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

How important is the amount of system RAM with an SSD? At work I like to bump people up to 8GB if they're at 4 or 6, plus clone them to an SSD. My boss doesn't like to upgrade the RAM in the 6GB systems, he says that when you get low on RAM and start swapping to disk, it's a non-issue when it's an SSD.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The worst offenders are people who don't close things, so there's a dozen tabs open in Chrome or IE, plus Outlook and several instances of Word, Excel, and of course our CRM. I've seen 6GB systems with Task Manager reporting over 80% memory usage, which is good enough for me to upgrade their RAM.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bob Morales posted:

SSD's make 4GB tolerable but I myself find my Windows of at work hitting the limit on 8GB

The hell did you get 6GB systems? Half upgrade some 4GB machines?

Yes, they are leftovers of the old IT regime, 4GB systems with 2GB upgrades added.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Samsung migration tool, or Macrium Reflect Free. Is he getting an SSD the same size as his current OS drive?

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 7, 2017

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What is the consensus on the MX300? As bad as other Crucial models? Any 5,000 hour bugs?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I believe they're the same (literally) as the SanDisk X400, which (per the OP) is the silver medal to the 850 EVO's gold.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cross-posting from the Hardware questions Megathread:

Wilford Cutlery posted:

What should I use to test a Lite-On SSD?

Dealing with a Dell Latitude e7470 and this is the standard drive in it. It's been blue-screening, I reset Windows 10 and it still happened, I then reimaged it and it still happened.

Dell's full diagnostics: no errors. Ran it 4 times now
Windows Memory Diagnostics: no errors, ran it twice
MemTest86: Currently on its second pass. No errors

I also ran CrystalDiskInfo, but everything had a green light. I'll run it again and post the data or a screengrab.

I'd love suggestions! Chasing out a ghost in a machine.

Edit: This morning's BSOD error code was CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Crap, I was just downtown to turn on a server that doesn't have DRAC. I forgot to go upstairs and and try that on the laptop, which has been running memtest86 since Friday.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

39 error-free passes of memtest86 later, tried BlueScreenView but the C:\Windows\Minidump folder doesn't exist. Looking thru the System logs, I see Event ID 161 (volmgr), Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

He’s reset and reimaged Windows 10 already.

Thanks, glad someone's reading. From Googling the "Dump file creation failed" message it seems there are similar experiences out there, seems like a driver incompatibility introduced with the Creators Update. This is a standard issue company laptop but it's the only one with this problem. I have a spare 250GB Samsung 850 Evo that I'll try in it. If it still happens, gotta be another driver I guess.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

No, that was a certain older Crucial model. No mass death reports from any Samsungs that I've heard.

Also if the drive is the 2.5" SATA variety it needs the firmware update, if it's the m.2/mSATA version then it doesn't apply.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My bad, I thought they were one and the same.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm thinking either you got a lemon of a drive, or a bad cable.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Probably the BIOS

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I know Intel made 180GB SSDs, do they still? Are there any SSDs in between the 120/128GB and the 240/250/256GB capacities?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Atomizer posted:

Is there some detailed database of SSDs that lists specs? I'm mainly looking for an easy way to determine if a given SSD has DRAM or not, and I usually have to search for that info on a drive-by-drive basis. Often reviews and product listings don't mention DRAM status or list the controller, even if it's a drive that does have DRAM; a good example is the HP S700 Pro which does have DRAM (as opposed to the non-Pro version) but as you can see HP's listing is lacking in details. I'm not looking for SSD recommendations, I'm just trying to find an easy way to determine DRAM status in particular when deals on cheap SSDs show up.

You might try checking storagereview.com, either their articles or forums might have this info.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I remember in Windows 7 it was wise to run the Windows Experience Index so the OS would 'know' it's on an SSD and turn off background defragging. If XP has anything similar (can't remember anymore) then that would be worthwhile.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

SSDs do their own low-level maintenance. Defragging them just adds unnecessary wear.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I replaced my SATA cables with straightened out wire hanger and my performance is a little warmer.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Fry's has a 240GB SanDisk Plus for $48. Worthwhile? Helping a friend upgrade her DJing laptop, need something reliable: https://www.frys.com/product/9158128?nearbyStoreName=false&site=satlanding110318

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks, the Samsung would normally be my go-to. I hadn't checked its pricing lately, but it's moot as I took a look at the laptop and advised her to retire it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I thought the msata version was unaffected?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Geemer posted:

So, what happens when we get to 5 bit deep cells? Those would be Quint Level Cells, which shortens to QLC too. :thunk:

Switch to Roman numbers. VLC drives, baby!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 24, 2019

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Enjoy being the guinea pig! Follow up with a trip report, and maybe give us video of XP's performance on an SSD.

EDIT: Does the old 40GB drive stay on 24/7? If so, you'll want to clone while it's running, in case you shut it down and it doesn't spin back up.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I would seriously making imaging the PC the first step, before even shutting it down. Get that image backed up first before anything else, at this point a shutdown runs the risk of catastrophic loss.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I once worked customer support for a video card maker, and one of the guys got a call from a university needing Windows 95 drivers for the old video card in the PC that was hooked up to a multi-million dollar electron microscope.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What brand are they? If one or both are Samsungs, then Samsung Magician should find something. I'm sure the other makers have similar utilities.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Sounds like the time I took the bus to the learnhall. I had a term paper due but my parents' computer printer was out of ink. So, I decided to take the bus to the learnhall, which is what they called school at the time. I put a floppy disk in my trapper keeper, which was the style at the time. Now, to ride the bus you had to pay twofer. Twofer flinchin' they'd say. Anyway, the important thing was that I had a floppy in my trapper keeper, which was the style at the time. They didn't have caddies then, because of the 90s. The only case you could get was a big plastic thing in neon colors that held all your folders and

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

With Windows 7 you run the Windows Experience Index and it will detect your SSD and turn off background defragging.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cloning an HDD to an SSD will induce roughly the same wear as installing an OS and restoring your data and apps to an SSD.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Klyith posted:

If you're just looking for a 1TB drive on any form factor the Crucial MX500 or WD Blue are even cheaper than the 860 Evo (and basically identical in all important respects). That way you don't need to dedicate a m.2 slot to a sata drive if you don't need to.

Would either of these be a good choice for a NAS? Plugged in by USB into my router, needs to be 750GB or greater, and 2.5" SATA. Whatever can deal with being up 24/7.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Decided I'm going to get one and a diskless NAS, I didn't realize my router is only USB 2.0 so I'm switching to Ethernet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah, you pay to ship to them and they pay to ship to you is pretty standard practice.