Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

kimcicle posted:

WELP. I ended up getting the 600p anyways because it was on sale at Microcenter for $90 for the 256GB model. Replacing the mobo is out of the question for now, so I'll just live with the lower speeds until I upgrade in the future.

I wouldn't stress it, you're not really paying much more than an 850 EVO for the 600p. Also isn't two PCIe 3.0 lanes still 2GBps? Seems like not a horrible limitation, if it is a limitation for that drive at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Wacky Delly posted:

I know the 960 Evo is going to be the new hotness, but is there anything really "wrong" with the Intel 600p? MSRP is $60 cheaper for the 512GB and performance seems not as good as the 960's will be but still better than the 850's?

No, nothing wrong with it. I bought a 512GB 600p to go in my new laptop since at the time the 960 release hadn't been announced. It seems to be at least as fast as any other SSD I've ever used (I have a 13" Haswell MBP as a work laptop and an 850 EVO in my desktop) and there have been no problems with it.

Honestly, I'm not sure how much the sequential performance difference between the 600p and something faster would ever matter to a consumer. When your read speeds are already faster than 10G Ethernet you're pretty much ensuring that your bottleneck is somewhere else, and that goes double for the write speeds since there's basically nothing I can connect to a laptop with read speeds able to keep up with 600MBps or whatever it does.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 11, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

nrook posted:

I'm sick of clearing space on my 128gb SSD, so I'm thinking of buying a 512gb Samsung evo. Am I being an idiot for buying a SATA SSD in 2016?

I looked at the Intel 600p, but my mobo is kind of old. I'd have to buy an m.2 adapter, and I only have PCIe 2.0 anyway. Plus booting into NVMe from an old motherboard appears to require loading weird homebrew bios modules, which sounds risky... But it feels bad to buy the old thing :/

The 600p isn't so fast that you're really going to limit it much (if any) by putting it on a PCIe 2.0 connection, as long as you still have 4 lanes. However, in real world usage SATA feels so similar that I wouldn't mess around with any hackery to get NVMe boot working if it's not supported.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
What would you plug it into? There are NVMe to PCIe slot adapters, but you can't send PCIe signaling over a SATA port (excepting SATA Express). There are M.2/NGFF to 2.5" adapters too but they're for SATA drives.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 17, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

BIG HEADLINE posted:

5) Despite being able to get it for $107 and change, I've a feeling in six months 256GB NVMe drives will be rather cheap and the Socket 2099 board I get for my six-core Sky-X in 2H17 might have 2-4 M.2 slots, and I could use a 256GB M.2 as a damned paging file/cache drive.

In six months? The 600p is $80 for a 256GB or $130 for a 512GB now. You may not be counting it because it's slower than some other models, but it's hard to get much cheaper than that with reputable SATA drives.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

blowfish posted:

$90 for 240gb isn't even that cheap. While given the reviews it's probably not going to die unreasonably soon it's probably going to have middling performance as a no name TLC drive and there's no reason not to get a Sandisk X400 instead.

You're aware that those are Canadian dollars, right? The X400 is $36 more expensive on newegg.ca.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the Silicon Motion drive - I bought one of their MLC drives for an HTPC a couple years back and it's been great. Just keep in mind that unless you already checked a review and saw otherwise, performance may indeed be unexceptional.

The X400 and 850 EVO are both recommended because they have good performance and support, and aren't known to have any reliability issues or huge caveats. There are lots of acceptable models out there though if you're not particularly concerned about huge durability or top-end performance, they're just less well known so people are gun-shy about recommending them.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Skandranon posted:

Life is too short to deal with dead drives. Lets say I make $20/hr. My a dead drive is going to at least eat up 2h of 1. Seeing if the drive is dead, 2. Fretting over lost data 3. Removing drive 4. Sending back to Samsung 5. Installing new drive 6. Restoring from backups. Even at that rate, upgrading to an 850 is a no brainer. Any additional hassle or increase to my hourly rate just makes a more solid case.

I agree that any amount of trouble is expensive, but I think the vast majority of devices of any brand (excepting maybe pre-acquisition OCZ) become obsolete and are replaced for that reason before failing. I've bought at least 10 SSDs over the past 5+ years from various manufacturers including Samsung, Sandisk, Intel, Kingston, Crucial, Silicon Power, and Transcend and not a single one has ever failed. Most have been midrange at best consumer models, and a few have been refurbished. I can accept that I'm lucky, but it's not like most cheap SSDs are ticking time bombs.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Veotax posted:

Also, are there any difficulties or extra steps for getting Windows to boot off of an m.2 compared to an HDD or SDD?

The process is identical, it's just another type of port so same thing from Windows' perspective.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

rally posted:

Just plug it in and let it hang there if you want to. They weigh nothing.

If you don't want it to swing around, there are also good cheap brackets to adapt 3.5" bays to 2.5" drives.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
The Intel 600p is pretty good if you want extreme NVMe sequential read speed (only applies to 1TB, 512GB and to a lesser extent 256GB models) for about the same price as the 850 EVO. It's not at all as good as the 960 EVO but is a lot cheaper.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
About a decade and a half ago, the DoJ took action and everything:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRAM_price_fixing

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Put a screw through the hole that was formerly a standoff and use either a spare motherboard standoff or a nut to secure it and the drive? I wouldn't leave it loose, it might wobble its way out over time. Worst case scenario, electrical taping down the end of it should be OK. As long as you don't short it out or cover up something that needs ventilation I would expect it to be alright.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

redeyes posted:

Is it really the case that the Intel 600p NVMe drive is actually much slower than the 850 EVO SATA? Jebers.

No?

They kind of trade blows on stats - PCIe gives the Intel an edge on sequential reads as long as you have one of the larger-capacity models and possibly sequential writes too, and the Samsung's controller is capable of more IOPS so it tends to pull ahead on random loads.

As far as subjective "feel" goes, I have the 512GB 600p in my laptop and the 500GB 850 EVO in my desktop and I honestly can't tell a difference between them unless I use a benchmark.

Note also that the 600p's stats initially came out showing the same durability in TB written across all models. A lot of people pointed out that this was nonsensical and Intel released new numbers that looked proportionally better for the larger models, so if what you're looking at shows an oddly low durability for the 600p make sure you're not looking at the original stats.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 16, 2017

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

redeyes posted:

Yeah the one I got is a goddamn rocket. I am pretty sure it is a bit faster than the 850 evo.

The sequential read speed is faster for 256GB and especially 512TB+ models because like other high-end SATA drives, the 850 EVO is limited in sequential transfers by SATA. The write speed and IOPS are not great but they're good enough that it's hard to tell with most consumer workloads. Most of what people care about extreme speed for is loading programs into DRAM, after all. With large writes, you will see some speed inconsistency once the cache gets full.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
It's probably just a Dell OEM drive. Not really surprising for Lite-On to make it, they could totally be an ODM for other companies' SSDs too.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
So, I've recently decided that it potentially makes sense to migrate from Sandy Bridge back to my old X58 system (see OC thread if you're curious about the details). Said X58 system doesn't have SATA 3, and while I know that it doesn't really matter the vast majority of the time that made me curious about what would potentially be involved in using an NVMe drive as a boot disk. Considering that I don't even have EFI it looks like the key element in doing this without some kind of dirty hack would be whether a legacy option ROM is present on the SSD in question, and while the 950 Pro has one of these it seems like most drives don't. Has anyone ever seen a list of drives that have these, or even is aware of a model other than the 950 Pro that does?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
From what I can tell reading around it is possible to boot off of a 950 Pro in BIOS boards, because the 950 Pro has a legacy option ROM that allows BIOS to see it as a bootable storage device at all. I'm wondering if anyone knows of other drives in this category, particularly ones which are still produced and available for prices comparable to other NVMe drives. I assume that such drives would be M.2 but I can use a PCIe sled to deal with that, the board has plenty of slots.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I know about that but don't really love the idea of needing a second partition on another drive just to be able to boot up - either I'm going to have to stick a flash drive on an internal header and leave it there forever, or there will be an extra SATA disk that I can't reformat or remove from the computer without having to redo everything. I'll probably just suck it up and use my system disk on a SATA2 port if that's the alternative.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Potato Salad posted:

Between putting a bootloader on a second lovely usb + getting the proformabce of 950 versus being pure about not using a second drive and thus restricting myself to a lovely sata2 hba for my system drive...

I accept and understand that other informed people might come to a different decision in this situation but I'm not sure what makes the ICH10R "lovely" unless you're calling it that just because it's SATA2; as far as I'm aware it works great.

It might make more sense if you consider that I don't already have a spare PCIe drive so I'd have to buy one anyway, and if I'm going to bother with that instead of using a SATA drive that I do already have then I'd rather have it work without a hitch than needing a hack which might compromise future usability a lot more than SATA2 will.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That's the first I've heard of something like that. The only drives I remember that could be used on a 5/6 series chipset without NVMe being baked into the BIOS were PCIe drives which used a cobbled-together ROM which tricked the BIOS into seeing it as a valid, bootable AHCI device. For a while I wanted to see about using a PCIe riser card and moving my boot drive to a 950 Pro, but everything I was told was that it would always be nothing but a really fast data drive, since no riser card incorporated a feature like those hacked-together first-gen solutions did.

I mean, the first-gen Intel PCIe cards didn't have that, and you'd figure if any of them would, it would have been those. Also, on my Z68, I was also told that even if I got it working, I'd be seeing 700-900MB/sec, max.

I have no direct experience but from what I have read the 950 Pro has such a ROM, thus explaining the difference. Aren't those riser cards passive from a protocol perspective, just like M.2 SATA ->2.5" sleds?

Maybe there's another limitation I don't know about but the basic math of 4 PCIe 2.0 lanes would give me 2GBps. Even if I was limited to 700, it's a lot faster than 300 and while 300 is enough (like I said, I'll just get over it and use SATA2 if that's the answer) I figured once I started thinking about the problem that I might as well see if anyone else had a solution.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 9, 2018

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
No, no, I think you misunderstand - the "lot of bullshit" is what I'm trying to avoid, I'm looking for a drive that will just plug in and work.

Let me know when the new motherboard and processor and 16GB DDR4 aren't $500+ on top of buying the SSD itself and I'll get right on that option instead.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Dual heatpipe... for your 70W M.2 drive? How much power is that port even allowed to provide?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If we have $160 2TB drives next year I'm going to be looking at running an all-flash NAS at home a lot sooner than I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
54C seems totally acceptable for an SSD to me?