Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Double Punctuation posted:

If you want real long-term storage, you'll go with tapes or optical discs.
I'd love to have something with the capacity of LTO7 or even LTO4 (with a modern SATAIII or USB3.1 interface) for a good price but man the prices on the drives and tapes just does not want to come down at ALL for anything that is less than 3yr old and/or in good condition. Yeah you can find LTO4 drives used for $300 or less but they're typically over 5yr old and usually look like they got dropped down the stairs with no chance of warranty on ebay. No way I'll trust that.

Double Punctuation posted:

The only "permanent" storage I know about are write-once optical discs that use a really powerful laser to burn away a coating (compared to changing the coating's physical properties like most recording devices do).
I miss Magneto-Optical a bit myself. High capacity 30yr media life would be nice to have again. Too bad the price never really came down on those either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

necrobobsledder posted:

You wind up with problems with LTO technology being a self-obsolescence technology family because the tape drives themselves are only made for so long, not as much as the tapes being the problem.
Yeah that is a problem too certainly. I have no clue why the guys behind LTO do that crap other than the obviou$$$$ one of course. No one can seem to compete with them though so everyone has to put up with that BS.

necrobobsledder posted:

Honestly, from an archival standpoint, it starts to make sense to use DVD+Rs on gold media at a certain point
I've heard they're supposed to be legit good but I've personally had dozens die on the shelf in a medical archive setting (small office, not a big lab or hospital) and those mdiscs were no better. I don't trust anything end user writable that is optical anymore. The factory made DVD's and CD's are a different story of course.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Yes. I've got a cheapo single drive adapter just like that one to run my 905p.

Just a FYI: the multiple U.2 drive cheap adapters require your mobo to support PCIe bifurication for the slot you're plugging it into. Usually its detailed somewhere in the motherboard manual if it does.

So long as you've got a mobo made in the last 4-5yr there should be no issue that I'm aware of booting off that single drive adapter.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Geemer posted:

What're the current most cost effective 250ish GB SATA drives to look out for? The OS is Windows 10 so it shouldn't require jumping through hoops to get TRIM to work. And with Macrium Reflect no longer having a free tier, what's the alternative du jour?

IMO these are the cheapest decent 256GB SATA SSD's from a reasonably reputable brand: https://www.amazon.com/TEAMGROUP-AX...11&s=pc&sr=1-19

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-CS900-25...11&s=pc&sr=1-25

Drive write longevity is low but it tends to be that way for anything cheap and in that storage capacity range anyways. Should still be perfectly fine though for common desktop stuff for years.

Not sure on the software since its been a few years since I've used any of the free ones.