Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Is having faster SSD write speed worth losing 2 years off of your warranty? I don't think so. But to each their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Too bad my mSATA 840 EVO never got the update. Samsung forgot about us.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Zadda posted:

Question:

Does Hynix make decent NVMe drives? I recently bought a dell xps and it came with a PC300 SK hynix instead of the Samsung listed on the order (MOD,SSDR,512G,NVME,SMSNG,PM951)

More concerned about reliability than speed difference. Never heard about the brand either.
Thanks.

Looks like it's a decent mid-range SATA drive, not NVMe.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sk-hynix-canvas-sc300-ssd,4328.html

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Larrymer posted:

Anybody else still not gotten their Watchdogs 2 code from buying a Samsung SSD recently? They said within 2 weeks from the ship date I should have it. (to be fair, 2 weeks is tomorrow)
PM me and you can have mine. I couldn't care less about that game. (you can't even watch any dogs - useless)

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Apparently some MSI motherboards come with a gimmicky heatspreader to help lower the temperature of your M.2 NVMe SSD. It turns out they're poorly designed and actually increase the temperatures slightly. Good job, MSI.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2781-msi-m2-heat-shield-increases-temperatures

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Reading about people loving around with CSM settings with M2 NVME drives - what's the deal and recommended settings?

Also, if running a single Samsung 960Evo in M2, is it best practice to uninstall Intel RST and just use the Samsung driver?

Going to do a fresh install of Win10 on an Asus Z170i. Silly questions but I'd rather ask here before the drive arrives.

The CSM stuff is only used for compatibility with old stuff, like if you were installing Windows 7 or booting off of some wacky system repair boot drive or something. You won't need to mess around with it for a modern OS like Windows 10.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I'll give you $199 for it.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Capn Beeb posted:

And the registry won't get hosed up? Cool :toot:

You said you're not cloning the OS drive. There is no registry info.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Look closely. UFS is a different form factor than microSD. A UFS card will not fit in a microSD slot.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Should Macrium Reflect be 900mb in size? Seems huge.
I just grabbed a copy of Reflect Free and it totaled 183MB. 44MB for the program itself and 139MB for the PE components.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Double Punctuation posted:

Mix them into water, then remove them from the water. The water will remember their state forever.
Introducing... the new ADATA Homeopathic SSD!

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Geemer posted:

Requiring the user to fiddle with the power plug while the system is powered on is a nice way to prevent just that from happening and I'm still amazed that viruses/malware targeting the BIOS haven't gotten back in vogue now that they're all flashable from within Windows.
It's nice until you have a laptop and you can't exactly fiddle with a power plug.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Shaocaholica posted:

I haven't checked in years but did the deals forum SSD thread go away?
No deals had been posted since Black Friday, so it got archived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

we're more likely to get one of those humorous situations like the mx500 releasing for far cheaper than the mx300 and retailers being loath to tick their prices down, causing hundreds of thousands of mx300s to be rebought by micron and reshelled as 1100s to be sold through third party enterprise distributors at half of the price the mx300 sold for
You know what? This timeline ain't half bad.