Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Newegg has the 512 GB X400 for $134..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I have a Samsung 500 GB 960 EVO in my 13-inch Late 2013 rMBP, it never gets super hot according to smartmontools, think the highest its ever gotten was 56C after backing up the entire boot drive to a USB 3.0 HD. Normal temps range from 37º to 41º C.

And there is an airflow in the rMBP, though it's not going to be super high due to the single fan..

Samsung's specs say the operating temperature range for the 960 is 0º C to 70º C, so throttling around 60º makes sense..

Since space is pretty tight in the rMBP, I just have a thick thermal pad right on the SSD's RAM chips that contacts the bottom case, whose job it is to radiate heat away anyway. The 56º max I mentioned is with the thermal pad in place, never got a chance to measure without it.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 6, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Here's what I got in an email from Micro Center..

The original ad said the prices were only good to 11/19, but the ad on the website says the prices are now good until 11/23.

The parts in the ad that are on sale say on the website that you have to check at the store for the price, but I'm reasonably sure they're what's in the ad out of the email.

The 960 500 GB and the 850 EVO 500 GB are definitely on sale.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

nm

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Lockback posted:

The 1tb crucial mx500 is 182 right now on Amazon

Yup, the SATA 2.5" version. M.2 version is still $267 or so

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Speeds probably top off at 1600 MB/sec max read, 1300 MB/sec max write.

Source: An x2 NVMe drive

(Assuming PCIe 3.0 on your mobo)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Basically it becomes a 1 TB SATA III SSD for only $139. And a good quality one too!

Tanks for posting, as I needed something for fast backup.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Any thoughts on the Crucial P1? Amazon has the 500 GB and 1TB at $110 and 220 respectively.

Read speed seems a little low but the write speed seems respectable. 2000 MB/sec read, 1700 MB/sec write, 200 TBW endurance.. and QLC NAND.

NVMe, PCIe Gen3X4..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

teagone posted:

Have any of you installed 3rd party heatsinks on your NVMe drives? Worth it?

Welp, on my Mac Pro / Samsung 970 Pro, I got this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZX417T/

This might seem like overkill, as it has thermal pads and heat sinks for both sides of the SSD, but thanks to this the temps I saw before in the 45-49C range with a naked Lycom DT-120 now never climb over 35-37C with this installed and the internal PCI fan cranked up slightly.

Haven't felt the need to run a benchmarker app to try to put it under load, though.

One cool thing about this card is that it has switch selectable LEDs (off / continuous / drive access only) that make the back of my machine visible from low earth orbit and the alcove under my desk look like a disco.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Z-Bo posted:

USERBENCHMARK.COM takes about 90 seconds to run. I'm not sure what would be the point of spending so much money and not tuning the PC.

Because I'm running it on a Mac and I don't feel like running the exe in Boot Camp/Parallels?

quote:

This last line sounds a bit like you are defending pissing $45 down the drain :\ But, we all do that.

Well, all I know is that I was getting much hotter temperatures with a plain vanilla PCIe card like the Lycom. That $20-25 more I paid to get the heatsinks included with the Kryo for the 970 Pro is worth it to me.

Maybe I could have economized and just glued some heat sink to the controller chip and called it a day, but I didn't feel like having it eventually fall off and short out the logic board. With the Kryo, screws hold everything in place including the heat sinks, and they're on both sides of the SSD which seems quite sensible to me.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 6, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Just in case anybody wants, the HP EX920 1 TB is on sale at Newegg for $149. Until 2/18 (Mon.)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820326778

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The 970 and the WD black have the same write endurance for the 1 TB size, but the WD Black will likely be cheaper.

I wouldn't do the HP EX920, it has half the write endurace of either of the above.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Evidently Micro Center is selling the new 1TB Inland Premium NVMe drive for $144, it's Phison E12-based and comes pre-installed with the 12.1 firmware: https://hardforum.com/threads/hot-inland-1tb-nvme-premium-144-microcenter-samsung-970-pro-killer.1978390/

Specs say it's got 1600 TBW endurance. Pretty good for a $144 part! Samsung 970 Pro is only 1200 TBW..

Dunno how they got 1600 unless it has something to do with that fancy Phison firmware.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So I decided to saunter by my local MicroCenter, and lo and behold...

Turns out it was actually on sale until a week ago for $139.99, now it's back to $144.99. They'll usually whack off $5-$10 in "Instant Savings" if a product is experiencing slow sales; presumably they mistook this for the non-Premium model of which I saw they had stacks of.

Haven't had a chance to benchmark it but probably will by the middle of the week.

Edit: there were two at my branch but just checked, all gone now.

I get this bad feeling this is going to be revealed as a pricing mistake and they'll come back in for something ridiculous like $219 or whatever.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 10, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The guy who started the HardForums thread that was quoted earlier is insisting up to this current moment that this SSD is a diamond in the rough.

He is saying that the $144 you pay for this gets you the performance equivalent of a $350 Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB thanks to the enhanced firmware on the Phison E12 controller; also that there is room for even more improvement as the Phison firmware can be further updated using hopefully-soon-to-be-available OEM software.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Here's *another* Phison E12 drive for ~$145, with the most recent 12.1 firmware pre-installed: https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power-Gen3x4-000MB-SU001TBP34A80M28AB/dp/B07L6GF81L

Sure, it's ~Silicon Power~, but it carries a five year warranty, the same as *most* of the other E12 drives, and the performance and IOPS is competitive with the 970 Pro drive.

If you want a better name on the same drive: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820236477

Be aware, though - the 12.1 firmware is destructive (meaning that it wipes the drive in the update process), so if you've got a drive not running it by default, you'll want to find someone to help you flash it (or buy a compatible USB enclosure) before you load Windows onto it.

Still think this is a better buy:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/600422/1tb-3d-nand-m2-2280-pcie-nvme-30-x4-internal-solid-state-drive

$135 for 1 TB, literally the same drive, Phison E12 based, comes with 12.2 firmware.

There are Phison 12.2 firmware updaters available in the wild from Japanese websites.

MicroCenter's got a 3 year warranty, but it's less hassle for me since there's three MicroCenters a short drive from me, all I have to do is keep packaging and receipt and if it fails, bring it in and they swap it out for a brand new one.

Only last week, Amazon had a sale for the Sabrent Rocket 1 TB for only $125 shipped, also a Phison E12 equipped SSD.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Welp, the ship has come in, evidently, as I see more than 10+ in stock at many of their (MicroCenter's) nationwide locations, although I do see some isolated stores haven't got any stock yet (or sold out fast)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The Premium also has the read speed pegged at 3100 MB/sec and writes at 1900 MB/sec in a gold box.

The Professional has half the read and write speeds of the Premium in green boxes.

Also, if you ask to look at the package you'll see the Professional uses an older Phison E8 chip, not the E12 on the Premium- you want that E12!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The most recent batch of Inland Premiums come with Phison E12s with firmware 12.2, it's supposed to solve some thermal / throttling issues that 12.1 had.

Silicon Power's P34A80 and the Sabrent Rocket NVMe SSDs are also Phison E12 based but cost about $145 shipped from Amazon; Sabrent Rocket 1 TBs recently were on sale for $125 shipped with a discount code.

Both of these vendors slap needless branding stickers over the whole chip and say "Warranty void if removed" in direct contrast to the Inland Premium which doesn't have anything stuck on their chips except for a label on one of the RAM chips, the controller is left free and clear as BH says.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

One of the first Inland SSDs I got had firmware 12.1 on it and I had already formatted it as a Mac HFS+ volume. The upgrade was fast and didn't disturb any of the data, but since I'm paranoid after the 12.2 update I did a clean with diskpart and reformatted it yet again.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Check your PMs, MyDigital probably isn't gonna publish the 12.2 updater, surprised the link to the 12.1 updater is still up.

Also, all I will say is that the updater I used worked just fine for Inland's, no guarantees about any other vendor, back yer poo poo up, etc.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Basically you need to inject NVMe drivers onto your install media.

Here's a utility from Gigabyte that works to inject the necessary drivers into Windows 7:

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/gigabyte-windows-7-usb-installation-tool.249384/

Windows 7 came out literally when NVMe M.2 drives didn't exist yet, so you have to roll support into it somehow.

Windows 10 -supposedly, and probably dependent on what your OEM version is packaged for- has NVMe drivers rolled in, so dunno if that's the version you're having trouble with.

Edit: You may also need to update your mobo BIOS so that it supports booting from PCIe devices, and then alter your boot setup to do so, which may include DISABLING SATA boot, check your local config page for details..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 5, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

One of NewEgg's Hell Cocker deals for today is the 1 TB HP EX920 for only $140 shipped.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13006963-h...s?src=catpagev2

1 TB of Silicon Media controlled goodness, maybe more power saving than the Phison E12's discussed lately.. but a 1 TB Phison E12 is still only $135 from Micro Center.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Spoke Lee posted:

So I have this SM951 I've been using for about 3 years. I've been using it for games lately and starting about a week ago the drive would disconnect and disappear until reboot. I reformatted and it worked for a few days, now it's starting again. Is this what a failing drive would behave like? I want to get a new one but I am trying to figure out if I can test to make sure it's not the actual board in the laptop that is faulty so I don't buy a new drive to find it doing the same thing.

Get a utility like this:

https://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

Put it on a bootable USB, run it and see if any conditions in red or alerts show up. Games don't usually write too much, but I bet it's got either bad sectors, CRC errors, or both.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I still wanna know how they came up with 1700 hours on the nose..

A garbage collection routine that overwrites volume directories?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

MicroCenter just reduced the price of their Inland 1 TB Premium M.2 NVMe SSD down to $104.99.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/600422/1tb-ssd-3d-nand-m2-2280-pcie-nvme-30-x4-internal-solid-state-drive

Can't wait until it cracks $99..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Huh, thought that expired, guess they renewed it. Welp, at least it's good for another two weeks.

However, there's pretty limited stock, I only see it in stock at 12 of the MicroCenters nationally; of those only one is near me but it's the one located in the most podunk part of New Jersey. Ugh.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If you look at that same HardForums thread you'll see people stating that thermal issues they had with 12.1 went away with 12.2.

That's probably why people ordering these Phison E12 based SSDs are getting 12.2 baked in at purchase.. well, I can say that for Sabrent, Inland, and Silicon Power..

Not a bad deal, 1 TB for $99 if you go get Micro Center's version!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

In that vein, and if you're lucky enough to have M.2 NVMe slots on your rig...

Inland 1 TB SSD - NVMe -10c/GB

The retail price on this is now $99.99 for 1 TB, pretty good deal!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

We're starting to get to the point where the OS has to catch up with the hardware.

Boot times and load times aren't that much faster on NVMe over SATA, and OSes are still largely optimized for reads from slower platter based drives..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The Corsair MP510, MyDigitalBPX, and a bunch of others are pretty much identical drives, all designed by Phison, all use Toshiba NAND, all have practically the same firmware also designed by Phison.

Anandtech did a good article that compares the Silicon Power against other SSDs and it just points up the fact the Phison E12-based M.2 SSDs give you near-Samsung-970 performance for much less cost and uses less power, important for laptops.

The Inland Premium, on sale for only $98 for 1 TB at MicroCenter is a loving steal.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

That Google Docs spreadsheet is maintained by someone on [H]ardForum.com, I forget the exact handle.

I had done some research myself and came up with a list slightly shorter but this guy obviously knows a lot more vendors than I do.

FYI, here's another review of a Phison E12 powered SSD:

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/9023/team-group-mp34-phison-e12-powered-nvme-ssd-review/index4.html

More comparisons against the HP EX920, Samsung 970, and others..

Meanwhile meanwhile, when PCIe 4.0 becomes more of a thing, Phison says they've got an E16 on the way that'll hit 6.5 GB/sec without any tricks..

https://www.pcgamer.com/phison-says-ssds-will-hit-65gbs-speeds-next-year/

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yup, 12.1 had issues with thermal throttling, 12.2 fixes them.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Interesting to see that MicroCenter and Sabrent, who both sell drives under their own names, are continuing to drop prices even after the announcement of the power outage last week. There must be an incredible glut of NAND in the pipeline.

Everyone seems to be wary of that $100 mark, though. Sabrent's had any number of unannounced sales on Amazon of their Rockets, but the price has stayed near $100 for 1 TB every single time to date. Additionally, MicroCenter's kept their 1 TB Premium at $97.99 for the past month or so and holding. We shall see, but I doubt they'll lower the prices any more since I suspect they're approaching cost.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I have the Plugable and another:

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Tool-free-Enclosure-Thunderbolt-Compatible/dp/B07N48N5GR/

I get up to 930 MB/sec on straight copies with an Inland Premium 1 TB installed.

It's not really Thunderbolt compatible, it's USB-C compatible as far as I can tell, if it were really Tbolt it should get much higher throughput (like up to 2 GB/sec)

It's got the same controller as this, which I also bought:

https://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/m...mdnvme-m2x-usb/

This one also uses a JMS 583 controller with the added deal that MDD provides a firmware updater for their unit dated March of this year. Don't see much difference in speed after applying it though.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 14, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

For those of you who got in on the MicroCenter Inland Premiums or have any of the other Phison E12-based flavors..

:siren: ECFM 12.3 firmware has been released! :siren:

https://gofile.io/?c=k2LdtQ

Haven't tried it myself, no README came with it, some say it increases speeds, others say not.

Supposedly not a destructive update if updating 12.1 or 12.2, but if you somehow got an E12 with an earlier v11 firmware (earlier release like some of the MyDigital versions) it is destructive.

Will try to bench it soon as I get back to the BatCave..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, just tried it on a couple of Inland Premium 1 TBs, deffo not destructive as I can still boot from them.

Updater says it needs Windows 10 but I used my trusty Windows 7 iron to do it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Seamonster posted:

how are you guys checking your Phison firmware versions? I have a sabrent drive if it matters.

smartmontools or any SMART checking utilities does it for me, plus the updater will display your current firmware level before flashing.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Malcolm XML posted:

Fun fact: nand runs better at elevated temperatures due to the way it needs to do quantum tunneling

It's the controller that needs heat removed

So basically you should just put a Raspberry Pi heatsink on the controller chip of most SSDs and leave the NAND untouched so it heats itself to health? So this liquid cooled SSD is technically bullshit for cooling down all the chips, not just the controller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

nitsuga posted:

I’m thinking about getting an SSD for my 2012 MacBook Pro. Would it be worth going with the MX over the BX drives
from Crucial? I have quite a few GBs free on a 320 HDD, would 500 still be worth it? Any real cheap options I wouldn’t hate?

As others have mentioned, it'd probably be a good idea to get as much storage for the buck as possible. If you ever plan on going to Mojave or (shudder) Catalina, those OSes eat up a good amount of space just for the system itself.

Also, if I were you, I would maybe get either the Samsung or the SanDisk models as some folks have run into issues with upgrading their BootROM / firmware with no-names.

The reason for this is that the OS installers actually check the ID of the storage that is being used and based on that, also insert into the install process a routine that upgrades the BootROM, but it will not upgrade the BootROM if it sees a vendor ID that Apple doesn't normally use. Apple uses Toshiba, Samsung, and SanDisk SSDs in their products (albeit OEM'd and modified by Apple to be compatible) so people tend to have more success with those makes.

I recently installed one of these for a client with a non-Retina 2012 MBP (the Retina 2012 is the start of when Apple decided to use their wacky proprietary M.2 form factor which is merely them loving around switching the pins, you can buy adapters that let you use regular M.2 form factor SSDs with the firmware caveat mentioned) and it seems to be fine:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/508183/1tb-ssd-3d-nand-sata-iii-6gb-s-25-internal-solid-state-drive

1 TB for $80.

Need to check on the firmware issue but that client already had the latest BootROM due to being at the newest Mojave.

The Crucial probably isn't a bad deal but they're not known for being Mac-friendly.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 21, 2019