Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Boozie posted:

Is a WD Black PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe a good SSD choice or should I stick with Samsung 960 EVO?
[e] https://www.wdc.com/products/internal-ssd/wd-black-pcie-ssd.html#WDS512G1X0C

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1919?vs=1978

(AT doesnt have the 500gb 960 Evo, you can change it to the much slower 250gb 960 Evo and the results are pretty similar)

Price seems to be about $50 different, but Newegg has a $10 code going so the difference is down to $40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Echoing. I just did the same thing in upgrading from an older near-first-gen SSD (a Vertex2 in my case). Got a smaller 960 Evo and a Crucial MX500 for game storage. In the end? I barely could tell any difference, even compared to the Vertex. If you're a regular end user like me, I would go with the bigger SATA SSD.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

That $330 MSRP for the 1TB M.2 is interesting, that's cheaper than the current 850 EVO version. But it's still SATA, apparently has the same performance as the 850, and the MX500 M.2 is coming with a $260 MSRP. Meh.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, thats a cop-out for sure. If you have a spare 2.5 HD lying around, I would see if that gets recognized. If not, I would try the cheap option of the cable first. If thats not it either, probably the controller.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Honestly if the BIOS isnt seeing it, in all likelihood nothing else is going to either. You can boot from a USB to check out the other drives, though. I assume you swapped SATA plugs on the motherboard around too?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

downside: costs as much as a midsize car
upside: you PROBABLY* wont need another SSD for a decade and a half or so?? TELL me thats not a good value!!

*probably

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the only way to know this is to take ayahuasca in the desert and look inside yourself to see the truth

only do this if your spirit guide has like a cyberpunk outfit or somethin though, like a borg-ish laser pointer eye or someshit, otherwise it could go terribly wrong

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I've been using a 1tb MX500 as my primary for a few months and haven't noticed anything abnormal. It boots fast and stores things.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Samsung teasing a Z-NAND M.2 drive to potentially go against Optane.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12580/samsung-reveals-m2-zssd

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

WDs decision to overpay for SanDisk looking like a wise call. That’s SanDisks promised nvme controller in the flesh, and it looks pretty dang good.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

redeyes posted:

Yeah 640Kb is enough for anyone.

that’s a terrible analogy

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

there are also junction links if windows won’t let you move stuff, but ive never tried them on win10 (or even know if they work there)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Is there any good way to consolidate a 2TB primary OS drive into a 500GB SSD? I'm already banking on a fresh Windows install but just wondering if there might be a good method to transfer over programs from what is going to become the secondary drive. I'd imagine that copy and pasting the folder from one Program Files into another is going to cause all sorts of issues.

There are some partition tools that can do it, and I did it myself a while back, but generally gotta agree with Malcom and say just fresh install it.

Once youve got your OS on the SSD, you can look over at the old drives program files and such and see what you actually want to reinstall, and copy pover any media you want on the SSD. You can also set Steam to look a the old drive's Steam folder, so you don't have to redownload anything (assuming u game bro)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Silicon Motion targeting the 970 Pro with a drop-in replacement for their mainstream controller. Looks pretty impressive.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12928/smi-eyes-samsungs-performance-crown-with-sm2262en-controller

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Having stuff on SSDs is good. It’s not life changing beyond the OS+browser, but it’s good. See: Subnautica load time and pop ins.

You don’t have to overthink it too much.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

They need to standardize an area of motherboards where nvme drives are fitted on the underside, so that motherboard trays can include a cutout.

Taking the board out of my old itx system to fit nvme was a pain in the rear end.

I agree with you, but after failing to get people on board with standardizing BTX, PSU orientation, cooler mounting, ram interference, what EATX means, mitx vs mitx thin, right angle SATA, and SATA express, and oh my loving god front panel connectors what the flying gently caress dudes its 2018!!!... im pretty pessimistic we will get our wish. :(

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Theres been a lot of movement in the nvme world lately. Silicon Motion's newest controllers are straight up competitive with both the Sarnsung EVO and Pro, and the Adata SX8200 was at 27c/gig today before selling out, while the cheapest 970 Evo was 38c and Pro 45c. The slightly slower, but same controller, HP EX920 is 29c/gig for the 1TB in stock.

Real competition is here finally hoorayyy

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

QLC is here, and ATs review was pretty interesting:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13078/the-intel-ssd-660p-ssd-review-qlc-nand-arrives/

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

“Adata uses substandard nand” sounds like “my soundsystem has warmer sound” to me.

What does substandard nand even mean? Is the claim that they don’t meet the speed or durability ratings on the box? And if so, what evidence is there?

I don’t own any Adata products but I find it hard to believe that all the people who gave the 8200 good reviews missed some big scam.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There isn't an irrational bias against M.2 SATA drives, they were just always more expensive than their identical performing 2.5in brethren. The prices syncing up for a lot of models like literally happened this month, and for a lot of models M.2 still has a price premium.

Also, who gives a poo poo?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I have a 970 Evo and a MX500 SATA and I don’t really feel any difference in daily use. For home users, I still wouldn’t recommend spending any big premium for nvme, but with prices close or equal, it’s a pretty easy call.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

priznat posted:

The thing I hate about m.2 is the tiny retention screw that occasionally gets popped out and you have to hunt for or else the socket is basically useless. Motherboards that use the plastic clip deelie are good tho.

god gently caress that screw. the worst is that some boards have different length/threads on the screw, so if you lose the one that came with your board, you cant even use one from another board. good luck finding one at a hardware store that works!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lordfrikk posted:

Yeah UEFI takes super long to do its thing, what's exactly the holdup there?

Depends on the BIOS obvi, but look through the options and you might see a post delay “feature” for you to hit delete/f1/f2. Also enable fast boot obviously.

Even with those things, boards with lots of integrated stuff (especially RAID controllers with separate boot ROMs) might still be slowish to boot. Kinda sucks that the “premium” boards are slower in that respect.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yes yes, I know its a Linus video, but still a pretty enjoyable video with some dorks trying to tell the difference between identical systems with PCIe Gen 3 NVME, Gen 4 NVME, and Sata without benchmarking.

You prolly can guess the outcome, but I wont spoil it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA

Drives used:

Sata - WD Blue
Gen3 - Corsair MP300
Gen4 - Corsair MP600

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

priznat posted:

I want to see some crazy low tier of storage where data is etched into obsidian using a big rear end laser and then read back by feeling the grooves which will last for 10,000 years or something :haw:

Write speeds of like 4k bytes per hour.

Those IBM WORM tape arrays they still put in a lot of brand new supercomputers are kinda that niche. There are even new versions coming out! But ONLY like 30 year storage, psh. I'm not sure if those M-discs that claimed to have like 10k year life spans ever got used much.

e: fun 8bit guy video on weird media types thats kinda relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvXXkB2jic0

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 11, 2020

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

DrDork posted:

Which is ironic because a lot of older movie film stock is physically degrading and studios are rushing to digitize their older holdings before they're unrecoverable.

Or before they burn down! :v: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/11/magazine/universal-fire-master-recordings.html (article is v sad)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Kane posted:

Why is PCIE 4 exciting considering no SSD saturates even PCIE 3? Is it just hype/future-looking or am I missing something?

Enterprise exists.

For home use, none of it matters at all. A "fine" tier or better SATA SSD wont feel any different than a 970 Pro or PCIe 4.0 SSD.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Gruffalo Soldier posted:

What's the deal with NVME m2 2242 drives? I'm looking for one to put in the WWAN slot of a T580 and all the models I've seen are out of stock. Did a factory burn down or something?

You probably know this already but check around to make sure the WWAN slot will actually take a storage device. Unsurprisingly, many OEMs decided to gently caress this up and do non-standard implementations or BIOS restrictions that straight up won't understand if storage is hung off of what is otherwise a generic interface.

"Computers: They Suck!"

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I've used both, they are both great for home use and you really won't be able to tell any difference between the two. Both are SATA, both have DRAM, both have solid controller firmwares (WD uses a Marvell controller and the Crucial uses the ubiquitous SMI), and both use established NAND. If you need a home use SATA SSD, they are the ones you should be buying.

I'm slightly partial to the Crucial, but wouldn't pay more than a few dollars more for it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The problem for QLC is quality TLC+dram drives with neither trade off exist in the same price range. For example, at the all important 1TB size, a bottom of the barrel dramless TLC drive is $90, an 860 QVO is $110, and a WD Blue (TLC+dram) is $115. Unless you are really penny pinching, I would get the Blue and never think about it again.

At the moment, QLC doesn’t start making a compelling argument to me until you get to the 4TB range (or 2TB for NVMe), where the SLC cache is so big so as to be functionally an SLC drive to most users, and the price and density advantage start to make a meaningful difference.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://www.amazon.com/TEAMGROUP-CARDEA-Liquid-Heatsink-TM8FP5001T0C119/dp/B07V6SDNZ5/

:shuckyes:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I cant wait for MS to trash Control Panel completely and not bother migrating any of the 100s of settings that you can only access there. Gonna be so cool spending hours researching PowerShell scripts to do basic networking poo poo.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Beyond the business reasons, politically the China fab has been a problem for Intel too. Not entirely surprised they want to offload it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AT reviewed it when they came out last year:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14249/the-intel-optane-memory-h10-review-two-ssds-in-one

The last sentence:

quote:

The combination of QLC and Optane might still be able to produce an impressive consumer product, but it will take more work from Intel than this relatively low-effort product.

Ouch.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I converted my shucks to NTFS in order to do Storage Spaces in winders. It is actually pretty useful for non Serious Business NAS work. Storage Spaces will convert em for you when you set them up too.

The combo digital hoarder NAS + home server + seed box + HTPC is a cool investment/toy if you don't already have a Synology or somethin.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I know yall don't need to see any more benchmarks to know that PCIe 4 drives can throw big numbers... but here have some anyway!

I picked up a 1tb WD SN850 after reading some reviews, to replace a 970 Evo that is going in a new build for my brother. The Evo was cloned in situ, and is a full realworld situation. And yeah, the Evo was mostly full but again, real world install and should have its full cache available with the space left.

Here is the 970 Evo on an i7 8700K/Z370:

And the SN850 on the same platform (so limited to PCIe 3).

Still a small improvement, but nothing impressive. Now lets move that same drive/install over to a 5950X build:

Niiiiiice.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SN850 and 980 Pro are the two best drives in the market and functionally the same, although the 980 Pro has a trim bug that wrecks some peoples drives potentially forever so Samsung has been slashing prices.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twwyBdsRYL4

lol

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

He’s a well known dude if you are in that workstationy tinkerer home server world. ServeTheHome is also a good resource in that market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

youre tellin me a console feature that fans overhyped and overanalyzed might not see much benefit or use, well i never thought id see the day