Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

That board has two M.2 slots that can take NVME drives, you don't need a host card or anything like that. Be aware that depending on whether you put NVME or SATA M.2 drives in there, and which slots you use, it may deactivate some of the other SATA ports on your board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Microsoft is going to require Win11 to use DirectStorage. If this goes anything like the Win10/DX12 debacle, it is going to kneecap adoption rates in games for years.

Microsoft is a no good very bad shitass company.

quote:

With DirectStorage, which will only be available with Windows 11, games can quickly load assets to the graphics card without bogging down the CPU. This means you’ll get to experience incredibly detailed game worlds rendered at lightning speeds, without long load times. “DirectStorage Optimized” Windows 11 PCs are configured with the hardware and drivers needed to enable this amazing experience.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Even if it is a great OS, it won’t be the most common gaming platform for years due to Windows awful adoption rates and the hundreds of millions of gaming cafe computers in Asia with updates disabled. If it’s not the common platform, a lot of developers won’t bother with its features as we’ve seen repeatedly.

Win10 was launched in 2015, didn’t crack 50% on Steam until 2017, and didn’t break 50% of overall market share until 2018. Three years. Tying DirectStorage to Win11 unnecessarily is bad for adoption of a feature that could dramatically improve gaming on the PC, going by how well received quick resume has been on the Xbox.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I just meant the general concept of less load times, not full quick resume. That would be too cool and simple for us PC technomasochists. :smithcloud:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Potato Salad posted:

Win11 is probably going to roll out substantially more quickly than Win10

those who have it who know it's just a reskin aren't going to hold out like the Win7 holdouts

people still holding out on Win7 are already serving time in multiple botnets / malware c&c aren't going to change their minds about Win11

a lot of people are about to learn where to buy a TPM module and where it connects to a desktop motherboard

Mandatory Microsoft sign in is gonna make it a hard no for me until someone finds a way to disable it tbh.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Also for Intel, look for settings in the BIOS that says PTT Security, Intel Trusted Execution, or Intel Platform Security. For Ryzen, it will probably be called fTPM. Also my experience with a lot of these on gamer platforms haven't been great so this is gonna be so fun to walk grandma through.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rinkles posted:

Looking to get a high capacity external hard disk. Any brands in particular to stay clear of?

WD's Easystore is 5TB for $100

The two big things I look for with externals is whether the disk inside is SMR and whether its easily shuckable. Even if you don't plan on shucking now, it is a very nice option to have down the road. The SMR thing likely doesn't really matter for most users, but again its something that down the road you might regret.

Another thing to know is that the externals occasionally go on insane discount. I've purchased 2 of the 12TB WD Elements (same drive as the easystore but not Best Buy exclusive. Its stupid) for less than $200 each in the last year, so it is probably worth waiting for a sale unless you have a pressing need.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://youtu.be/29Nh3p6779E

Sign me up for the mountain of disused U.2/U.3 enterprise drives.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I got an SN850 to replace a 970 Pro that I wanted for another build. I can’t tell any drat difference but I was able to turn PCIe 4.0 on and as we all know, 4.0 is More Number Big than 3.0.

The 980 Pro had a firmware bug that is apparently worked out now (maybe?). I don’t think it will make any dang difference between the two, so I would get whichever Brand gives you the fuzzies.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There are enough performance impacts that I wouldn’t get a dramless SSD for a boot drive in basically any circumstance honestly. You can get mainstream drives with DRAM for like the same price. Not worth saving the like, $5 on a 1TB drive.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Klyith posted:

Got anything showing that?

I mean if you are lookin for like real world tests, there isn't much difference. Division 2 is one of the ones with the biggest to show for it and:

But the way I look at it is even if you are saving 1 second per load and a few seconds per boot? Spread out over the lifetime of an SSD, for $5 on a ~$100 product, it is totally worth it in the additive. It's obviously not even close to the difference between spinning rust and an SSD, and if it was $50 premium it would absolutely not be worth it, but I can't in good conscious recommend anyone skip it at today's prices.

I guess in a mega-ultra-budget build that will only be used for word processing at college or something, but even in that sorta realm, i would probably say just get a used Dell SFF office system or something.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 4, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I feel like MS is more susceptible to backlash than any other of the evil tech giants. We must keep bullying them forever.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://www.wsj.com/articles/western-digital-in-advanced-talks-to-merge-with-kioxia-in-20-billion-plus-deal-11629914820

quote:

Western Digital Corp. is in advanced talks to merge with Japan’s Kioxia Holdings Corp., according to people familiar with the matter, in a deal that could be valued at more than $20 billion and further reorder the global chip industry.

So for those keeping track:

Toshiba and SanDisk were partners decades ago. SanDisk had MLC (and later QLC) tech, Toshiba had money and fabs.

In 2005, Toshiba bought Westinghouse, the nuclear power company (stay with me here). Then Fukushima happened and a bunch of nuke deals fell apart, and Westinghouse's losses got so bad that Toshiba spun off its memory division, and then sold a majority to a vulture capital firm in order to offset its Westinghouse losses. That group changed their name to Kioxia.

Meanwhile, WD fell so behind in the NAND game that they completely cancelled their own SSD production, and then bought their old friend down the street SanDisk in 2016.

WD and Kioxia then announced a big joint venture to make a bunch of new facilities, renewing the old partnership.

Now WD (ex-SanDisk) is gonna try to buy its old partner Kioxia (ex-Toshiba) outright.

What a saga.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SSD prices are really plummeting in the last 2 weeks, squarely in the Splurge Zone lately. TLC M2 drives with DRAM are hitting the magic $99/1TB line, and quality SATA SSDs are well under that mark.

I've splurged on like 10TB worth of MX500s for family computer updates and data hording. Trying to purge spinning rust out of my life unless its in a NAS or in system backup. Thank god.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Unless you have a specific workstation need, no. Regular humans will see absolutely zero difference going to a gen 4 drive.

As for how the prices will go, historically this is when the cartel starts to cut production and let prices soar. The chinese nand fabs are starting to come online though, so maybe the cartel will have less free reign to stomp peoples wallets. I don't see the prices going up drastically in the short term.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rinkles posted:

It was a Crucial NVMe that got a stealth downgrade, right, not this?

That was the P2, which turned into QLC. The MX500 is still, and always has been, TLC. I've got uh... like 6 of em now i think? lol. They are Good.

e: I just remembered the MX500 did indeed get a parts swap... but in a good way. When 64L flash went out of production, the MX500 started getting 96L packages instead, which actually increased performance and decreased power usage. They also swapped to a higher end controller in the ones you can buy now.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 3, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rinkles posted:

I'm more afraid of retroactively removing DRAM. Pretty sure one of the big manufacturers did that with a SATA model. Maybe it was ADATA?

Yeah, MX500 still have DRAM, at least on the ones I've bought as of a month ago. How much DRAM depends on the drive capacity, but its always there.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

probably better off leven it out of ur cart

now that’s what i’m talkin bout :hehe:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Chin Strap posted:

I got an NV1 and it looked like I was supposed to set it up as an X4 am I wrong? I tried switching to X4 in my bios but every time I reboot it reverts to x2.

A lot of boards share lanes between the M.2 slot and other things, normally a SATA controller. Might want to take a look at your motherboard manual to see if you need to disable something to get the full 4 lanes.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Thanks Ants posted:

Is there any point doing Gen 4 with garbage flash, or is it just to tick the "Gen 4" box?

QLC is a good match for a Gen 4 controller when the use case fits within the SLC cache, which for most home users it should most of the time. But with TLC prices being what they are, I still struggle to recommend QLC M.2 drives personally, especially when most boards still have a limited number of M.2 and even more limited number of M.2 actually hung off the CPU.

It makes more sense to me to spend extra on a faster but smaller all-rounder TLC boot drive for the one direct to CPU M.2 slot on most modern platforms. Then combo that with cheaper 2.5in SATA SSDs (like MX500s) for your storage, and 3.5in spinning rust in a NAS for backups.

Obvi if those QLC drives start regularly falling to the point that the Rocket one was at, especially the larger capacity drives, maybe that will change.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

That’s basically the cheapest per gb an SSD has ever been. But it is QLC, so there is the regular “I probably wouldn’t use it as a boot drive and don’t fully fill it” caveats. Probably a good game drive though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Klyith posted:

QLC drives have been around long enough for the questions about endurance to be pretty firmly settled, and the answer is that it's still not a problem. There is no general reason not to use a QLC drive as a boot drive. There is nothing specific about hosting the OS that is a deal-breaker for QLC.

I’ve seen installing a game overflow the SLC cache on a QLC drive and plunge the speeds to sub spinning rust levels. Will that happen often/ever on your OS drive? Maybe not, but we live in a world with cheap TLC drives.

If you absolutely gotta penny pinch for some reason, or if you have a case with no more space or something, yeah… there is no physical reason you can’t do it. Lots of bad prebuilts do it already. But single driving it with a SATA QLC is not somethin im gonna personally recommend unless you gotta.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I've got an SN850 boot drive in the M.2 slot right above the GPU (the CPU connected slot on 99% of desktop boards which you should use with a 4x PCIe 4.0 drive, none of the others really benefit at all), and in regular use I don't think you really need to worry about the heatsink, provided your board has some sort of minimal integrated heatspreader + thermal pad situation. And maybe not even then.

I'm hitting my 3090 with FurMark for 10 minutes and the SSD is sitting at 61 degrees. And considering how liquid-hot the 3090 backplate gets and that I'm also using an AIO in a case with limited front airflow, thats prolly a worst case for most home users.

Also yes i know a "new application" is available if 1 of u clowns calls me out i swear to god

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dogen posted:

Yeah if need be they’ll just send a dragon capsule with some astronauts to fix it I imagine

nah.

Webb has a finite lifespan. It will eventually run out of hydrazine for the thrusters and lose attitude/orbit control, and it will also eventually be pelted by so many meteorites that it will lose usefulness. NASA originally looked at making JWST serviceable by an unmanned mission, but they dropped most of those accommodations because they thought the refueling mission was beyond human engineering capabilities at the time. Supposedly the refueling mission isn't fully dead though, and they took some limited steps to make it possible, but not really on the roadmap as of today.

I did some looking around on the JWSTs bus, and sure enough, it was design frozen back in the 2001-2003 range. So baby, you know its packing the POWER: A 118mhz radiation hardened single core PowerPC 750 with 44MB of RAM... so basically an original Bondi Blue iMac in space. Same basic config NASA used in a ton of projects like as the Curiosity/Perseverance rovers, Kepler Telescope, MRO, WISE, etc. It looks like JWST also has an array of specialty image coprocs with their own memory pool that do most of the image work and keep the PowerPC offloaded.

Haven't been able to find the exact specs on the SSD, other than it has a write speed limitation on the bus of... 48Mb/s. With a small b, not a big B.

https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/resources/ISIMmanuscript.pdf
https://jwst-docs.stsci.edu/jwst-observatory-hardware/jwst-solid-state-recorder
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/20080030196/downloads/20080030196.pdf

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If anyone wanted to play with Optane for whatever reason before it’s gone forever, the firesale P1600X’s are back in stock and even cheaper at the moment, at $66 for the 118Gb model. I picked one up purely to goof with as a boot drive.

https://www.newegg.com/intel-optane-ssd-p1600x-118gb/p/1Z4-009F-00621

Wendell had a video on some things you can do with the stuff if you are much more hardcore than I am:

https://youtu.be/mD6i2toN7lE

Cygni fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 13, 2022

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

teagone posted:

So, just as a refresher, is it now ok to use a QLC drive like the Intel 670p as the OS drive? Because I saw the 2TB 670p was just $80 a few days ago.

For grandma's solitaire rig or the college gaming computers of your horrible triplet nephews Buzz, Buster, and Buck, they are absolutely fine and that price is great. The SLC write cache is 280GB on the 2TB models, a number i highly doubt any regular user is ever gonna hit.

If you are the type of turbo-dork who knows of this thread and want something for your personal rig, I would probably steer you to a different Gen4 drive like others are mentioning.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If you want a SATA replacement, I have purchased a truly disgusting amount of MX500's over the years and have been happy. They tend to be $20 more expensive than the absolute cheapest 2TB drive on the market, but have a DRAM cache and can saturate the SATA interface for reads.

If you want to go to M.2 and have a PCIe4 board, the WD SN850X/SN770 are aggressively priced these days and would probably be my pick. I have an SN850 in my personal rig (and lots of other older WD SSDs in various systems) and haven't had any issues.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Klyith posted:

Most normal home PC user tasks -- desktop apps, games, video editing, etc -- are pretty sequential.

I disagree with this part. What most home users do all day is likely to be far closer to QD1 random reads than big block sequential.

Launching random small programs and switching back and forth, futzing in a browser window, fiddling with office tasks, etc are all going to lean on random performance mattering more for the user experience. There’s a reason that Optane drives can feel like magic on the desktop.

Video editing is a 1%er task at most, and lots of games have big sequential reads when stashing textures on load, but most games in my experience aren’t limited by drive speeds regardless. A SATA SSD with 500mb/s sequential reads will load most games exactly as fast as a 7000mb/s SN850, from my testing.

All that said, we have absolutely reached the point where “does it have DRAM or not” is no longer really THE determining factor of a drive being dogshit or not anymore. The SN770 is probably the poster child.

I still personally think it’s worth spending the extra money on a good boot drive with good sequential and random performance and not penny pinching regardless of your use case, then doing bulk storage on a separate QLC/SATA SSD/spinny rust if you need more space depending on what you do. The cheapest 1TB M2 is $44 (and it’s SATA, lol)… a WD SN770 is $65. That’s an absolute no brainer to me regardless of whether it’s Gamgams Solitaire and Facebook Rig or not.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Klyith posted:

Sorry but you're just wrong. Switching back and forth between programs? That all lives in memory, and if it doesn't the answer is you need more ram not a faster ssd.

Starting up programs is loading data in blocks that tend to be 100s of KB to several MB in size -- ie your average dll. When you hit 1MB data chunks that's what is called a "sequential read" by a benchmark. This is a far cry from 4k or 16k random.

I've never used an optane drive so I can't comment on feeling like magic. But feeling like magic isn't a quantifiable result. And it's also susceptible as hell to the audiophile effect.

I didn't really mean switching between things that were still running. If you've ever watched non-dorks use their computer, they either leave everything open forever (demons, evil), or close everything immediately (correct, supported by the gods) and relaunch later. Thats the regular use I would argue favors randoms. I would also argue that basically every interaction with an OS element is better with storage with better randoms/latency.

Heres an example I just ran a few minutes ago, comparing an Optane drive to a PCIe3 drive with NAND to a good SATA SSD, on an old B350 board on the testbench with the real world preset. (this isn't scientific, but its what I had on the bench)

MX500:

HP EX920:

Optane P1600X:

And for fun, an SN850 on a B550 board:

In regular use, i can't tell any real difference between the SATA and the HP NVMe despite their being a significant difference in sequential speeds as measured by benchmark tools. Maybe windows boot times? But I can detect a difference (especially when launching lots of things simultaneously, and especially boot times) with the Optane. It's only goofing with the cheap Optane drive did i realize how annoying it is that windows 10 has built in delays when launching their apps to display their lovely little logos... I never really noticed it with other storage.

I would also add that I've read a whole lotta reviews and a whole lotta articles over the years and I can't remember anyone claiming that sequential speed matters more for everyday use than random/latency. Basically everything ive ever read has been the opposite. Even the manufacturers.

So from my perspective, the objective numbers and my subjective experience seem to align, and the industry reviewers I've seen and the like seem to agree. But I'm just a hobbyist having fun, maybe everyone has been wrong all along. I'm not an expert.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

redeyes posted:

See, according to the other posters, you are fine, normal people don't need SSDs to maintain high performance.

I dunno if doing half drive writes of multiple drives out of the box is "normal people" stuff tbh.

Shumagorath posted:

I found out the hard way that Samsung 870 QVOs are very, very bad at what I need them to do. Who makes a good 4-8TB 2.5" SSD that will write ~50% of a fresh drive at full SATA3 speeds? The Samsung immediately ate poo poo at 75GB and stayed significantly slower than the spinning disk it was copying from. I'm leaning toward WD Blue or Red as my boss is paying.

I think this graph might be the most useful for that use case:

Can deff see the QVO deficit there. I'm personally a MX500 lover and would recommend them.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i was thinkin JBOD/Storage Spaces probably makes more sense than dealing with AMD's raid 0.

I use Storage Spaces on both my ITX htpc/NAS seedbox and my gaming computer and its been good. Have used different heterogenous and non-heterogeneous drive configs over the years, and it has even handled a drive failure when in a mirrored pool with grace.

Currently have 2x12tb and 2x2tb spinners in it in a mirrored pool on the NAS and 2x2tb MX500s on my gaming computer in a simple array for games. If your needs are more home gamer than pro, I think they work pretty well.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

redeyes posted:

Yeah its block level, not file level. And DONT USE IT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. Its loving trash, lacks basic features.

Why? What features are missing for a home user? Honest question, ive been using it for years.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

redeyes posted:

The issue becomes what happens when it goes wrong? Have you hade a failure?

Yeah, i had a failure in my two-way mirrored pool. Got a Windows warning message that i had lost redundancy. I swapped it for another drive (thankfully the failure was just an old 1tb 2.5in laptop spinner I had salvaged which had horrific stats even when new), added the new drive to the pool, and deleted the old drive out of it and let it fix itself. Same pool is still running fine years later. I admittedly might be skipping some steps I did, I can't really remember.

I've also disconnected/reconnected drives from the pool multiple times without issues, added and removed drives from the pool permanently, added USB drives/NVMe, etc and havent had any probs.

On the "simple" array in my gaming computer, I haven't had a failure yet... but I am fully aware that a failure in that pool will mean losing everything since its striped, but thats why its the games install drive.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I'm a huge MX500 fanboy (which is an insanely stupid thing to be a fanboy about but whatever it is what it is), and i maintain that the Correct storage config is a max performance M.2 boot drive and as many MX500's for game/bulk storage as you need. Rotating rust is for your NAS/home server, which you should build if you havent already!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fuschia tude posted:

What's the most performant M.2? Also why bother with bulk storage drives at all when you can get a 4TB for just over $200?

That would mean using a QLC boot drive, which is likely fine for many/most people. But with the current TLC prices, I don't think its a compromise worth making for the boot drive if you are a Big User. Using that 4TB QLC for your game/bulk drive, assuming you have a second M.2 slot, seems pretty good tho!

Looking at prices today though, the MX500 is actually more expensive per GB than some of the low-end TLC M.2 drives, so maybe SATA really is dead at this point regardless of how you slice it, unless you only have one M.2 slot to work with.

As for what the most performant M.2 is currently, assuming you have a PCIe 5 motherboard... it will be the new Phison PCIe 5 drives like the Crucial T700. But they have been crazy slow to come to market, pricey, and the benefits are extremely niche. The fastest PCIe 4 drives are the Solidigm P44 Pro, (cursed, do research before purchasing) Samsung 990 Pro, or WD SN850X. At current prices, the P44 Pro is the cheapest of the three at $150 for 2TB or $86 for 1TB and likely the most performant too.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Harik posted:

RIP SK Hynix. They were great drives. Too good for hellworld to let live I guess.

They still exist, they've just been rebranded as Solidigm after their purchase of Intel's SSD unit. Their P44 Pro is one of the most recommended drives around at the moment.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

kliras posted:

are they standardized on old crusty boards like asus c7h? i've heard some horror stories, and could never find any good places to buy from here in europe

Most boards by that era were standardized, but the Crosshair VII Hero has an M2 heat sink on the top slot, so it may not have a standard mounting depth. Honestly it doesn’t matter much as long as the drive is held down, I’ve seen plenty of people in server land who just kapton tape them down lol.

Also on that board, you really should only use the top m2 slot if you can. Using the lower m2 will bifurcate the lanes off of the first PCIe slot, forcing the GPU to 8x.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

2TB SN850X for $99

https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-2tb-black-sn850x-nvme/p/N82E16820250247

2TB P44 Pro for $105

https://www.newegg.com/Solidigm-2TB-P44-Pro/p/20-318-013

Both sold and shipped by newegg, remember to get the codes. Get cho self a new boot drive.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ASUS is starting to put their tool-less M2 design on more boards too, thank god. buying any sort of used mobo is a guarantee that youre gonna have to hunt down some bizarre rear end standoff or M2 screw... or just use kapton tape, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

shadow puppet of a posted:

This year I went with a $33.56cdn 2.5" 1Tb "Xray Disk" SSD

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005802997075.html

Which boasts QLC Nand flash and has customer rear end shots to bolster the reviews section.

I'll post benchmarks when it arrives in three and a half months.

Links already dead, I wanted to see the rear end shots. What? I wouldn’t lie to you.