Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Klyith posted:

This is why many people will say to disconnect other drives when installing windows. (IMO it's less of a thing these days, but in the case of installing windows when there's also a windows on another drive is still a good idea.)

yeah, I still stand by physically disconnecting eeeeverything you dont want touched when installing windows on a drive, especially if you have another boot manager or dual boot situations. Win 8 loved to creep on to other physical drives boot sectors even after install, insanely annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i had a 6tb spinner doing local back-ups on my gaming computer but I never had to use the backups after like 5 years so I pulled it out last week... and then last night, I got a Storage Spaces error on my 2x2TB MX500 array and it lost like 100GB of data lol. non-critical data but still sucks to lose it.

reminder to never skimp on backups, even for SSDs with low failure rates.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

makere posted:

What's relatively cheap pcie4 SSD that runs nicely without a heatsink (with decent airflow)?

Prices have come up a bit, but even really good drives are pretty affordable. Normal PCIe 4 recommendations for "high end" are things like the Samsung 990/980 Pro (with firmware update), WD SN850X, or Solidigm (Intel/SKhynix) P44 Pro.

Looking on pcpartpicker, a 1TB example of those options will run you about $85, while the cheapest of all cheap 1TB drives is around $55. I personally would just spend the extra to have a solid drive you can never have to think about again and to potentialy not have to deal with support from uh... "Timetec", but you do you!

All three of those high end drives will run just fine without a heatsink for normal home use cases provided you have some airflow. If its going in a PS5 and its clam shelled up, might be a little different story.