Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Rastor posted:

Isn't the keying different?

This is going to be shoving in DRAM modules backward all over again.

I'm not sure about the keying, but on my Z97 board I have two M.2 slots. One is a Gen3 x4 slot, and the other will do SATA or a Gen2 x2 slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Ordering a 512GB 950 tonight :dukedoge:

Between this silly fast SSD, 4x4GB of RAM, a 4790k, and a GTX970 I'm thinking this build will be done for a while

The thread consensus is still either format the drive to capacity and leave space open, or format to smaller than capacity and go hog wild, right?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Yeah it's not new. Previously had an H97 board and an i5 that were sold, switched to a Z97 board with 2x M.2 slots and the i7, and the 970 was from February that replaced a donated 550Ti.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Looks like I'll be waiting then

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

It's not unheard of:

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/1/8695555/browser-tabs

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

It's WD, they'll sell for below MSRP like a week or two after launch

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

Are the 850 EVO M.2's worth it? They seem like they're in a really great place right now price wise.
They're still tied to the SATA spec and won't work on an NVMe-only slot.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Mushkin makes solid drives and the Reactor was a great one, but I don't know how pricing compares when talking about loonies and toonies.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Ak Gara posted:

Does anyone have any REAL WORLD benchmarks of Intel 750 vs Samsung 960 Pro?

I'm talking cold boot times, BF4 load times, etc. All I can find are synthetics that toot sequential speeds too much.

No, but I probably spend more time farting per day than the collective difference in boot performance and game load times between the two in a given month.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Amazon carries Mushkin's Triactor for $120
http://a.co/gjQOR1v

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Hikaki posted:

I have a z97-a mobo which only supports pcie2x on the m2 slot. I need more space and I want to get an m2 ssd in particular because my sata slots are all full. Is the 600p a good idea in my case? Looks like it has poo poo numbers but my mobo won't be able to run something like a 960 evo/pro at full speed anyway. I could also just get a big sata ssd and just get rid of a smaller one but hearing about the better access times on nvme drives has me leaning towards the 600p.

600p is fine, but is very slow compared to other NVMe drives. I, too, have a Z97 board with a x2 slot and when the time comes I'm probably going to drop a 1TB 960 Evo in there - sure I won't be able to use the full performance of it with that slot, but I'm also assuming I'll get a new board in 5 years which I'm sure the drive will last that long for.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Arcturas posted:

Goddamnit. Am I completely hosed, or can I fix this? I bought the Crucial MX300. Apparently I bought the laptop version. I have a desktop, with full cages for regular sized desktop hard drives. So the tiny SSD doesn't snap in to my removable hard drive trays. Can I just plug the SSD into my SATA system and have it work while I order some plastic spacer bullshit that will fill the empty space? Or do I need to get a whole new drive?

Quickedit: For reference, I bought this drive. I figured since it was SATA I was okay. But I'm Bad At Computers (TM).

You can have it swing from the cables if you really wanted to. It doesn't require being hard mounted. Also, there isn't a desktop/laptop version - they're all the same.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Ignoranus posted:

I'm just re-quoting myself in hopes of an answer on this one. I am assuming that it's more straightforward than it was with my old motherboard?

Any Z170 board should default to AHCI

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Is there any way to know what you're going to get in a laptop as the OEM drive? Just found a mSATA adapter with an SK Hynix drive in a little 2.5" bracket in this Dell.

No, at least not in my limited experience. I got an MS GS73VR and the M.2 slot is set for SATA or x4 NVMe. Mine came with an SKHynix SATA drive but I've seen different reviews of the computer with Samsung and others.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

this kind of poo poo is why i never buy any laptops but lenovo thinkpads and asus/msi

What's wrong with this? It's either a full SATA drive or this adapter with an mSATA drive. There's no performance difference.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

VostokProgram posted:

Do you have any idea how expensive it would be to store all my Linux ISOs on flash

I can't tell if a massive amount of Linux ISOs + anime avatar makes this a joke or serious post

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

A number of newegg reviews are making GBS threads on the Plextor M8Pe for overheating, but I'm not one to judge accurately if that means much or not.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

People who buy ASRock's ~Supercarrier~ flagship boards might be pissed, then - it has three M.2 slots, but all are 2280 only.

If you're dumping $400 on a motherboard and don't have that thing researched out to hell and back before purchasing, I can't feel sorry for you if you somehow miss that.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

Also holy balls the nvme market has exploded in a good way. There's way more hardware that can be recommended at least at home/budget levels.

Not at the 1TB level :-(

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

What are the options for SSD performance levels with small form factor USB 3 devices. I want to be able to expand the storage on my 2013 MBP with a 128-256 external SSD and am fine with USB 3 speeds, but I'm having trouble finding a good option. I got a cheap Sandisk Ultra Fit 128 drive but it is just way too slow, for what I want to use it for, it heats up to finger-searing temperatures very quickly and throttles way down. I considered using an M.2 SATA drive in one of those enclosures, but I plan on doing a lot of read-writes and none of them seem to support TRIM. Is there a good option out there for an M.2 enclosure that isn't apparent on Amazon and isn't the size of a desktop-class external drive? There are some options like the Mushkin Ventura drives which seem to be more SSD-like flash in a large USB-stick format which also seem like a good option, but that particular line seems to have a lot of problems. Searching for this is tricky because you end up with lots of articles talking about fast USB3 flash drives like the Ultra Fit I have, but I definitely need more sustained performance than those are capable of.

I'd still go this route instead:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDCZ880-256G-G46-Extreme-256GB-Solid/dp/B01MU8TZRV/

An ultra fit is not fast. They're okay for something very small that you stick in and don't bother removing, but if you want real speed in a stick without going to a larger removable drive then that above option should do you fine, and they do it in 128 and 256GB sizes.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

Wasn't someone here adamant that there is no NAND shortage and it was just clickbait

goons.txt

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Jewce posted:

Just putting a build together from scratch and need to choose my storage. Build is for gaming and uses an MSI z270 m5 Mobo.

I was planning on an 850 Evo, but the price is close to $180 right now and I can get the m.2 version for $167.

The SanDisk x400 is $160, but I'm thinking the m.2 850 is clearly the right choice here or am I missing something?

NVMe is tempting, but I want to keep my price down so unless there is a good one in this price range, I'm just going to hold off until later this year.

For the $7 difference I'd do the 850. If those are 500GB prices, you can do a myDigitalSSD BPX NVMe unit for $200, which isn't nearly as fast as the 960, but is still quicker than Intel's 600p, and remains well ahead of any SATA-based drive.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Jewce posted:

Okay, cool. I just wanted to be sure the 850 was the right choice and that I wasn't missing anything going to the m.2 style.

I'll check out that NVMe, but I'll have to see if the difference is really drastic enough to warrant an extra $30 and if one that cheap has good quality control. I've never heard of that brand.

For what it's worth, if I felt comfortable enough dumping $400 for 1TB of storage, I'd already have a pair of them.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

At idle, with a PSU that turns off its fan, and magnetic levitation case and CPU fans with a low low RPM, the only noise/vibration I get is from the pair of spinners I have, one of which is a WD Black. I'm waiting until there's a 1TB NVMe M.2 drive for <$350 to get rid of them.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm still waiting on an NVMe M.2 1TB drive to get to the $300 mark.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Yeah with the NAND shortage I'm not expecting anything anytime soon. I think that's the reason there's no BPX drive from mydigitalSSD yet in 1TB form.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

That's also incorrect. A UFS microSD card is backwards compatible with microSD card readers. No form factor difference between this:

and this:

The real difference is the extra flush contacts on the back for card readers with UFS-compatible pins.

You linked two images where neither are UFS.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

That now brings the number of U.2 devices to two (2), both of which are absurdly expensive Intel products.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

priznat posted:

Do you mean consumer ones? Because there are quite a few enterprise ones..

M.2 is the defacto consumer nvme standard right now, for better or worse.

Yeah, consumer. It's dumb to me why they're still on consumer boards along with SATA Express. If someone really wants to use U.2, they can pop in an M.2 adapter card or one in a PCIe slot.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

I think the SSD Plus is actually a DRAM-less SSD and really sucks as a result.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

Is https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820177031 garbage? Newegg's got it for $200 through the daily email and I'm tempted, but it has that weird stain in the shape of 'PNY' on it, so IDK

That capacity at that price makes me think it's another drive built using the E7 controller which there are plenty of on the market. If that is the case, it's not a remarkable deal by any means - as it would be more or less the same drive as the mydigitalSSD BPX and I think the WD Black if I'm not mistaken, both have the same capacity around that same price point.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

SlayVus posted:

You can get a WD Black 512GB for $199, a SanDisk x400 for $190, or a WD Blue 500GB for $150. The WD Blue uses the same components as a SanDisk X400, though both the X400 and Blue only read at 500MB/s.

You suggested an NVMe and two SATA drives though. Different performance and not all M.2 slots do both.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

I have two 1TB SSDs, I was just curious. The second one is just there to be non-loud storage.

I mean, it's fine. Going full SSD is on my to-do list this year as at idle my two HDDs are the noisiest items in my PC.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Rexxed posted:

I just updated and it found my 500GB 850 EVO. It says I have an old firmware version, though. I have firmware version EMT01B6Q and since there's no 850 EVO firmware on their firmware page I assume that whatever new firmware is available only comes with this new version of Magician. I'm going to let someone else try it out before I update.

I updated the same drive last night. It's fine.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Rexxed posted:

But will it still be fine in 5000 hours?

:thunk:

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

eames posted:

What's the deal with U.2 by the way? My new mainboard has a connector for it but there seem to be no consumer drives that use it.

There's like a single Intel that's a "prosumer" drive that uses it. You can also get an M.2 add in card that plugs into the U.2 port - they both share the same PCIe lanes for bandwidth.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

I dunno about you guys, but I unwrap a new Evo each time I boot my PC. Bit of a pain in the rear end and it sure is expensive, but that's the price you pay for never running on a used SSD.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Just got some SSDs in today. For myself, a 1TB WD Blue with the newer 3D flash in m.2 format. For my girlfriend, a 512GB WD Black to replace an ancient 128GB 830 Evo as her boot device.

I've still got an open m.2 slot on my board that is keyed for the full x4 unlike the slot that the Blue filled, but I'm probably going to wait until an nvme 1TB comes down closer to the $300 mark, whenever that may be.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

orcane posted:

What about the new WD Blue they're selling ("WD Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD") that goes up to 2 TB and is slightly more expensive?

Nearly as fast as the 850 Evo for less money, I got the 1TB in M.2 myself recently. The 3D NAND makes it more or less the same as the SanDisk Ultra 3D, which branding is being phased out in favor of the WD Blue 3D

Crucial's MX300 is also a good buy

metallicaeg fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Beast of Bourbon posted:

It's my birthday, time for more storage. I'm looking for around 500-1tb of the really good stuff. M.2.

I read the first few posts but they mention 2016 as "current" so what is the best in the $250-400 range for 500-1tb and super fast.

I have an Asus motherboard with this:

Intel® Z170 chipset :
1 x M.2 x4 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode)*1
6 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray, , 4 ports from 2 x SATA Express
2 x SATA Express port
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology supports*2
Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology*2

While not super fast, but still fast, $300 will get you 1TB SATA drives in M.2 as well. Crucial's MX300 and WD's 3D Blue both have near-850 Evo performance and have that capacity in that format.