Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

kimcicle posted:

So before I run out and buy an Intel 600p from Microcenter, would it be compatible with my motherboard? It's a Asus Z97I-PLUS, and all the documentation says that it supports M.2 and runs over PCIe. The 256GB model is "on sale" for $99, but I want to make sure that it will be fine because the port is on the underside of the motherboard so I'll have to take apart my whole computer to install it.

If the manual for your board mentions 2280 compatibility, that's the largest form factor they make M.2 drives in. I think ASUS boards support 2280 lengths wholesale...it's only some MSI boards that went stupidly short.

EDIT: Just because I don't want to post after another post by me - someone finally got their hands on and benchmarked a 512GB 600p, comparing it to an Intel 750: https://www.chiphell.com/thread-1635321-1-1.html

And here's a link in English with a bunch of people measuring their dick sizes bandwidths: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?290486-Intel-600p-512GB-SSD-Review-The-Ultimate

And a formal review of the 256GB: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Intel-SSD-600p-Series-256GB-Full-Review-Low-Cost-M2-NVMe (it is not complimentary, even though they end up giving it a 'silver' award simply on price alone)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

iastudent posted:

Amazon has the 480GB OCZ Trion 150 on sale today for $90. How does it stack to an 850 EVO?

Get the X400 if the 500GB EVO is too expensive for your budget. To answer your question, though... it's still an SSD.

Here's a good review of the Trion: http://www.storagereview.com/ocz_trion_150_ssd_review

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 8, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

SuperTeeJay posted:

I was lucky enough to be browsing Amazon UK when a warehouse deal on an 850 Evo popped up (£70 instead of £120 because a returned item had a crumpled box), so I nabbed it. The benchmarks are spot on for this model, but are there any other actions I should take to ensure it's not hosed in some way?

Run a SMART test through Magician and check that no parameters are marked PRE-FAIL or FAIL. It should also give you a rough estimate to the health of the drive.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Also an equivalently-sized SSD will cost significantly less. Make it m.2, and it will be smaller as well.

i really can't think of a use-case for this, other than "I ended up with a ton of SD cards lying around and can't be arsed to eBay them".

Not even that - all of the cards have to be the exact same - not only in quantity, but in maker. Seeing as the 200GB Sandisk is rated to a *maximum* of 90MB/sec...even with a shitload in RAID 0 you *might* end up with SATA II speeds under ideal conditions.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I hope the 'phone bomb' thing finally coaxes Samsung into at least a paper launch of the 960 EVO/Pro drives. They could use some good press, and it's widely regarded that they've been sitting on them since late Spring because "why launch something that so few people will get excited about?"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

M.2 isn't something pc builders can buy in droves and "get", M.2 is still currently a madhouse with sata-only/pci-only m.2 sockets and mobo manufacturers still not making up their mind on what type they want to keep using (ideally they should be both sata and pcie, but the pcb traces are comedy)

also, the 850s are already 99% at the sata cap on both I/O and throughput.

AIC 960s would sound pretty good though

I've a feeling they're waiting for the mobile Kaby Lake to offer more widely-accessible NVMe-ready M.2 slots.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Seems Samsung did finally decide to bite for some positive press: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/samsung-preps-samsung-960-evo-m2-with-polaris-architecture.html

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

SlayVus posted:

Toms Hardware did a "review" of the "960 Evo" using the PM961.

I love how they mention RAPID Mode as a potential 'feature' of the 960 EVO. I mean...seriously?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Dogen posted:

Do people still even read tomshardware, though?

I do, on occasion - but I enjoy their 'exposes' on 'who makes what' more than their questionably-stilted reviews.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Col.Kiwi posted:

Welcome to the world of refurbished computer parts and systems in general.

Another reason I'm never enamored with Microcenter's 'Open Boxes,' especially with regards to new GPUs. If someone returned it, it's usually because it's got coil whine or some other kind of annoying defect or quirk of manufacturing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Christ, I don't even wanna know what they'll charge for the 2TB Pro.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

The SSD Thread - Buy a 960 evo

More like:

The SSD Thread: Old & Busted? Buy an 850 EVO. NVME Hotness? 960 EVO.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Never buy based on the fact that your computer can't take advantage of the speed boost *now*. Sooner or later you'll end up with a laptop you can drop the SSD into or a new desktop. The standard SATA interface isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

I know everyone says to ignore the OS optimizations in Magician, but what is this RAPID mode thing? I can't use it since I am on Windows 10, and apparently they do not offer support for it, yet. Is it actually useful?

It's not worth it and it's snake oil. It'll also rob you of 4GB of system memory. Magician will show the drive getting unworldly benchmarks, but they don't stand up to real world scrutiny.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

It's funny that Samsung Magician is so named. Smoke and mirrors.

Evidently the version coming out that supports the 960s will be "vastly improved." Which probably means it'll wipe out your MBR to save space on the first release, or have the performance tweak and secure erase buttons switched. Whoops!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Unless you're using an application that could benefit from a slight bump in IOPS, benchmarks for SSDs aren't worth poo poo. As numerous people have said, even the SSDs we'd never be caught dead using are usually 'good enough.' Hell, I'm using a 240GB Intel 730 as my boot, even with the gimped writes, because I wanted an MLC boot drive and didn't feel like paying for an 840 Pro at the time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ork of Fiction posted:

Question about m.2 connectors. If something takes a 2280, should that mean that it can also take a 2260 or 2242?

It's the 22mm connector that matters, right? And the length just matters for fitting in the box? I don't want to assume and mess up a thing.

Most boards have the holes for the smaller sticks as well, and newer boards even have holes set for 22110 drives. But the answer to your question is yes, so long as you look at the board and notice more than one screw retention hole.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Oh, and be sure you're not buying an MSATA drive. They might look similar but they're incompatible. Similarly, part of the confusion with M.2 is that the slots can be linked to the SATA interface or your PCIe interface, and you can only find out which by double-checking your board's manual. Most SATA-linked M.2 slots are in 1-2 year old laptops. People getting all excited to plug a 960 into those are going to get a rude surprise. Open boxes for everybody!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, if anything, the 960s have a built-in heat spreader. The 950 got pretty warm, especially in those slots under the GPU.

The 950 might get marked down once the 960s are in channel, too.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Concurred posted:

How soon are we talking? They were just announced late September and I'm finalizing my build next week. I was gonna go with an Intel 750 or 600.

"October." =/

Generally that means the latter half or *end* of October.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

To those impatiently awaiting the 960s who might be tempted to do/fall for something dumb:

There are a few assholes selling SM961s on eBay calling them 960 Pros, don't get suckered. Consider the 961s the 'Samsung 959' drive - they're bare green PCBs save for an identification sticker like the 950 Pros'. 960s are black PCBs with a snazzy black ID sticker. They'll also probably never get a firmware update, and even if they do, you won't be able to apply it easily.

http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/latest-buzz/samsung-2tb-960-pro-and-evo-ssds-announced-samsung-ssd-global-summit-2016/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Oct 7, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

When can I expect to not pay out the rear end for NVMe? I looked at 1TB drives and saw $600-$700 and said gently caress that poo poo.

You can preorder a 1TB 960 EVO for ~$470 at the moment through Samsung's website.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

What's the expected release date for it? I don't see one on the page.

Anywhere from tomorrow to the end of October. There were whispers of October 9th, but I think Samsung's been a trifle busy having to do a complete and total recall of the Note 7.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Fun fact: Samsung has a slightly higher GDP than Hungary.

Which is why whenever you visit South Korea you wonder if they own the country since the name is pretty much on *everything*.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

What's the expected release date for it? I don't see one on the page.

You can now pre-order the entire line of 960s: http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/all-memory-storage/s/solid_state_drives/_/n-10+11+hv22y+zq29m/

EVOs:
250GB - $129.99
500GB - $249.99
1TB - $479.99

Pros:
512GB - $329.99
1TB - $629.99
2TB - $1299.99

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Those are actually very reasonable prices. Perhaps the best thing they'll do, though, is push down the prices of existing 850 and 950 inventory.

950s, maybe. I wouldn't hold my breath on the 850s unless they ~shock~ everyone and put out an 860 or 930/940 SATA drive.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 13, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Concurred posted:

Just for fun I looked up the speed of my current Windows drive that I purchased 5 years ago. 830 EVO, 128GB. Random Read Speed: 75K IOPS; Random Write Speed: 30K IOPS; Sequential Read Speed: 520 MB/s; Sequential Write Speed: 320 MB/s

Seems like upgrading to a 950 or 960 will be quite the difference :hehe:

Stats-wise, yes - but I really doubt you'll notice a difference in 'user experience' like going from an HDD to SSD for the first time. Still, for $130 for a 250GB boot, it's not a horrible thing to buy in early to the ~NVMe Revolution~.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

SlayVus posted:

I just don't see the point in a 250 boot drive for $130 when you can pick up 500/512 drives for about the same price. Sure, you're paying for Samsung's reliability at that price, but what's wrong with a Sandisk x400 512 for $135?

Well, M.2 has a clear edge in form factor, given the rise in popularity for PCs the size of PS4s. Having 1-2TB+ in something the size of a stick of gum versus a 2.5" form factor that's 2-5x faster checks two boxes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

Man a 2TB would be nice but jesus. I'm glad we're at the point though, prices are only gonna fall from here... right?

Evidently there are enough NVMe products in the pipe from other manufacturers that anyone who's paying MSRP now is doing so so they're the first new kid on the block with the fastest boot drive.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Bent Wookiee posted:

Looking to replace a dying laptop hard disk with a basic SSD. Laptop sees only occasional use and the most intensive thing I anticipate doing on it is playing World of Warcraft occasionally. Need enough room for that and the OS, won't be storing a significant amount of other media on it. Don't care too much about performance provided it's better than a mechanical HDD. I'm in Australia. What would be the cheapest suggested model (preferably that I can pick up from MSY: http://cdn.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf) for me to get that's not complete garbage? Prefer 240G over 120G (anything over that is overkill), but that will depend on cost.

I was looking at the BX200. Any issues with this?

Literally everything in the SSD world is better than the BX200. It's pretty much the only SSD out there that's functionally worse in a lot of ways than an HDD or SSHD.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/41ao8y/stop_recommending_the_crucial_bx200/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

Oh dear, looks like I have some reading to do because I have no idea what any of these mean. I have a z97-a asus mobo if that helps.

ASUS very likely still has your board SKUed up on their website, and it'll likely tell you if you M.2 slot is NVMe or SATA-linked.

EDIT: I looked up the Z97A and your M.2 slot is PCIe linked. You can boot from the 960.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 14, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Speaking of fast storage, Optane v1.0 seems kind of underwhelming: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-optane-products-to-be-offered-in-16gb-and-32-gb-3d-xpoint-storage.html

As for Z97s and NVMe - I'd almost say it'd be better to use an Intel 600p in those if they're limited to two lanes.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 14, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

Looking at a ASUS X99 Deluxe II board, I see it has an Onboard M.2 4X slot, a addon card for another M.2 4X, and 2 NVME U.2 ports.

What the hell are the U.2 ports for? Are they some sort of next step from SATA since it seems to connect to standard looking 2.5" SDD's with a funky wide connector?

Also does anyone know if you can RAID those 2 M.2's (or U.2's) for SnG?

U.2 ports are a failed interface that *no one* is using anymore - even the head of Intel's own storage division has said that U.2, also known as "SATA Express," is dead.

The good news is, there are U.2 to M.2 adapters. The bad news is, they're rare and expensive - *and* you need to find U.2 cabling to connect them.

http://www.microsatacables.com/m2-to-u2-sff8639-pcie-x4-gen-3-adapter-sff-937-4xgen3

Also, kind of an interesting idea, but evidently you can turn a U.2 port into another x4 PCIe slot, too:

http://www.microsatacables.com/u2-sff8639-to-pcie-4-lane-adapter-sff-993-u2-4l

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 14, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ah - I was under the impression U.2 and SATA Express were one in the same. My mistake.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

Hoping for some more 2TB SATA drives to hit the market for some sweet lag free jukebox action.

What'd be nice would be that high-cap ~300/300MB/sec 2TB drive that was supposedly going to come out months ago and never did. My guess is there's too little profit in selling an 'archive-style' SSD yet that's 2x faster than an HDD with faster seeks.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Tax Oddity posted:

What's wrong with the current 2TB SATA drives, like the 850 Evo?

Absolutely nothing - I just think a lot of people in here would like a $399 2TB drive that was capped at something 'fast enough' like 300/300 instead of 550/550.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I would say 'download Magician and check the drive health percentage,' but it sounds like it won't let you. I don't know if there are any utilities that would allow you to run a SMART test outside of Windows.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

foundtomorrow posted:

Anyone happen to have any info. regarding where I can snag a 1TB m.2 Samsung Pro 960 the soonest?
Google results aren't helping at all. (For reference, this drive: http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-960-pro-m-2-1tb-mz-v6p1t0bw/)

http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/all-memory-storage/s/solid_state_drives/_/n-10+11+hv22y+zq29m/

You can pre-order them here.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

teagone posted:

Looking for a cheapo ~120GB SSD to throw in a ThinkPad T430 I was given. Is this a decent choice? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178966

Nope. Get this instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820173150

It's pretty hard to find the 120GB 850 EVO these days since Samsung discontinued it in favor of the 750 EVO.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

teagone posted:

Alrighty. And yeah, I have a 120GB 850 in my HTPC and wanted to get another one, but couldn't find one at a reasonable price. I used a SanDisk SSD in my dad's PC a little while ago, or at least some version of it. Was just wondering if maybe there was another OEM I could be looking at other than the only two SSD brands I've ever known, haha. Thanks.

The 750 EVO isn't really good enough to warrant a recommendation, and Sandisk's is 'good enough.' You will have a slight performance penalty with a 120GB drive, though.

Don't be tempted by the 'newness' of the Z400s Sandisk drive, though - people have reported issues with it. The 128GB X400 is ~$50, though - and that is pretty much the thread's 'get this if an 850 EVO is too expensive' option. Here's that link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W03S86133

Honestly the X400's the better buy as it's newer silicon, if you haven't pulled the trigger already.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 21, 2016