Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Guys, I don't think it really matters if Trump doesn't concede or doesn't "accept" the results of the election. It's like a football game, at the end Blue Team wins by 25 points, and Red Team sits there on the field crying "We don't accept this, we won!" and the score still doesn't change and the refs go home and the crowd leaves and they turn off the lights. Remember what happened to Romney? He was planning on riding out of there in a limo, and instead the he ended up getting a ride from one of his kids and the Secret Service hosed off back to Washington and that would have happened if he never came out of his little dressing room.

And knowing Trump he'll have security throw everyone out of the ballroom at whichever Trump hotel they're having his thing in and sulk. His mouthbreathing supporters aren't going to revolt or riot as they're all a bunch of loving cowards. Yeah, maybe a couple will do dumb poo poo, but a couple did dumb poo poo after Romney lost. This is a weird thing to freak out over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

SubponticatePoster posted:

Guys, I don't think it really matters if Trump doesn't concede or doesn't "accept" the results of the election. It's like a football game, at the end Blue Team wins by 25 points, and Red Team sits there on the field crying "We don't accept this, we won!" and the score still doesn't change and the refs go home and the crowd leaves and they turn off the lights. Remember what happened to Romney? He was planning on riding out of there in a limo, and instead the he ended up getting a ride from one of his kids and the Secret Service hosed off back to Washington and that would have happened if he never came out of his little dressing room.

And knowing Trump he'll have security throw everyone out of the ballroom at whichever Trump hotel they're having his thing in and sulk. His mouthbreathing supporters aren't going to revolt or riot as they're all a bunch of loving cowards. Yeah, maybe a couple will do dumb poo poo, but a couple did dumb poo poo after Romney lost. This is a weird thing to freak out over.

It does as he has been encouraging a "second amendment solution" and has a crazed gun toting base. One side rejecting election results has let to multiple assassinations in our history.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

I was gonna say that "and even worse, knowing that both Captains Picard and Kirk would be on that list too if weren't legally prohibited from signing it", but I don't think anyone who would be getting pissed at that letter understands international electoral laws anyway.

Wait, what legally prohibits them from signing it? Is Trek Against Trump considered a PAC or something?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

socialsecurity posted:

It does as he has been encouraging a "second amendment solution" and has a crazed gun toting base. One side rejecting election results has let to multiple assassinations in our history.
The Republican Party isn't going to reject the election results. Its brand is hosed enough as it is.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

:jerkbag:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

socialsecurity posted:

I can't think of any assassinations that could be characterized as rejections of election results, at least not at the presidential level.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot
Does the Civil War count as a "rejection of the election results?"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SubponticatePoster posted:

It's a bit different here because if Trump pushes some "the election was rigged" narrative hard, then who knows what could happen. We might see nothing. We might get a few Malheur-type situations that quickly get settled. We might see sporadic violence by Trump supporters. We might see opportunistic Republicans jumping on Trump's accusations as an excuse to call into question the legitimacy of the Clinton Presidency and hold dozens of Congressional investigations on it for the sole purpose of keeping it in the news, just like every other Clinton scandal.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
well that audio recording sure was a surprise to hear about in the first minute of october.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

wasn't julian assange saying he was gonna leak some kind of october surprise?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Instant Sunrise posted:

He's been saying he'll bring out the thing to sink Clinton ANY DAY NOW since the DNC.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Instant Sunrise posted:

Even the Evangelical Christians have been defanged in the past few presidential elections, a far cry from the Moral Majority that elected Reagan and W and made the 1994 midterms happen.

Helped that their leadership supported the Iraq war so heavily and went into the deep end over gays, while the right wing Catholics got burned over the sex abuse.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

VikingofRock posted:

Wait, what legally prohibits them from signing it? Is Trek Against Trump considered a PAC or something?

foreign nationals aren't allowed to make any sort of official statement about who americans should vote for.

So, like, they could say 'if I was american, I'd vote for Clinton,' in an interview but they can't say 'you americans should vote for clinton' in a big signed pledge.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Instant Sunrise posted:

Didn't he say the second round of DNC leaks were gonna, like, be a total game changer guys, we're serious this time! :jerkbag:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

lozzle posted:

Not really. "Refusal to live with the results of the election" maybe, but it wasn't framed as a fraudulent or unfair victory to my knowledge.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I gather from context that "arzying" refers to histrionic panic but I feel like there's some entertaining history and context to that which I have not picked up despite my years on SA.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump%e2%80%99s-bad-week-is-a-%e2%80%98nightmare%e2%80%99-for-the-gop/ar-BBwQO2C?li=BBnb7Kz

It's nice to see Republicans running away from reporters to avoid discussing their nominee again. Makes me feel like we're back to August, not onto October. :unsmith:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

lozzle posted:

Thats kind of why the north fought at first. To say you can't reject them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SuperKlaus posted:

I gather from context that "arzying" refers to histrionic panic but I feel like there's some entertaining history and context to that which I have not picked up despite my years on SA.

Arzy is a D&D poster who supported Barack Obama in the 2008 presidential election and became notorious for completely freaking out over any news that could be somehow perceived as negative for Obama, no matter how trivial. Single-point drops in the polls and frivolous news stories were heralded by him as the end of Obama's campaign and impending victory for McCain. Obviously, his fears turned out to be vastly overblown.

Interestingly enough, Arzy had a complete political turnaround between 2008 and 2012 and ended up a strong supporter of Mitt Romney, but during the run-up to the election he continued the same behavior towards Obama as he displayed in 2008. Again even the slightest bit of negative news for Obama would result in Arzy shouting about Obama's impending loss to the high heavens, but since this time he perceived it as helping his chosen candidate, he added a liberal dose of smugness to his pronouncements. This led to many D&D posters getting fed up with him and decrying him as a troll, but that never stopped him from continuing his behavior.

On September 19th, 2012, Arzy requested a 100,000-hour probation for himself, which evilweasel granted, and, obviously, he has not posted since. However, it is clear he is still reading D&D, as occasionally posters there receive PMs from him which they post on the forums.

"Arzying" is now a commonplace term in D&D and refers to a poster showing fear in an election thread similar to the unnecessary panic Arzy displayed for Obama in 2008. Posters who are judged to be overreacting to negative news for their chosen candidate will often be accused of arzying.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

Arzy was a frequent poster in the Obama threads here in 2008 who would panic and predict doom and gloom at the slightest negative news about Obama.

Of course once Obama got serious about cracking down on wall street and the financial sector, he jumped ship for Romney until the stress got too much for him and he requested an 11 year probation.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

VikingofRock posted:

I'm not entirely certain, but I think US law prohibits them from influencing voter opinion because they're not US citizens. I know Canada has a law to that letter regarding foreign influence over Canadian elections--John Oliver did a whole bit for Last Week Tonight during the 2014 Canadian federal election where he ate like a $5,000 fine for telling people on air not to vote for Stephen Harper. I'm assuming Britain has a similar set to laws, but I can't say for certain.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

SuperKlaus posted:

Arzy is basically :derp: personified.

Also everything Endorph said.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Night10194 posted:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump%e2%80%99s-bad-week-is-a-%e2%80%98nightmare%e2%80%99-for-the-gop/ar-BBwQO2C?li=BBnb7Kz

It's nice to see Republicans running away from reporters to avoid discussing their nominee again. Makes me feel like we're back to August, not onto October. :unsmith:

quote:

At an intimate fundraiser Wednesday for Rep. Joseph J. Heck (R-Nev.), who is running for the Senate, McConnell asked the group of about a dozen supporters how many of them think Trump can win. About half of the attendees raised their hands. But when McConnell then asked how many thought Trump would win, no hands went up, and the room fell silent, according to a person familiar with the scene who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a closed event.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Instant Sunrise posted:

Some guy I know on Facebook said Wiki leaks released something about Clinton selling weapons to Isis but it seemed to be on some right-wing website that I couldn't give a poo poo about clicking on.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
You know it really would be great if there were some kind of compendium of dumb forum in-jokes, some kind of SA encyclopedia, if you will, to answer these and other questions like them.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pakled posted:

It's a bit different here because if Trump pushes some "the election was rigged" narrative hard, then who knows what could happen. We might see nothing. We might get a few Malheur-type situations that quickly get settled. We might see sporadic violence by Trump supporters. We might see opportunistic Republicans jumping on Trump's accusations as an excuse to call into question the legitimacy of the Clinton Presidency and hold dozens of Congressional investigations on it for the sole purpose of keeping it in the news, just like every other Clinton scandal.
No, again, the Republican Party is going to pretend they didn't run the most laughingstock candidate in US history for POTUS and they're going to STFU very hard. Will there be stupid Congressional committees investigating bullshit accusations? Possibly. But they're not going to touch the election with a fifty-foot pole. The only reason they're not already screaming what a useless fuckup they've nominated is is because they still need someone to show up at the polls and vote for them. Expect to see a whole lot of "well I never liked him" poo poo on Nov 9th.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

It's 100% certain that they will be as, or more obstructive to Clinton as they were to Obama, but yeah, I can't see them ever wanting to talk about Trump or the election or anything related to Trump or the election ever again. The sooner he's forgotten, the better, so they can work hard on pretending it never happened in time for the midterms and the next presidential election.

It'll be interesting to see if they can manage to avoid another Trump-style takeover in 2020.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Quinton posted:

It's 100% certain that they will be as, or more obstructive to Clinton as they were to Obama, but yeah, I can't see them ever wanting to talk about Trump or the election or anything related to Trump or the election ever again. The sooner he's forgotten, the better, so they can work hard on pretending it never happened in time for the midterms and the next presidential election.

It'll be interesting to see if they can manage to avoid another Trump-style takeover in 2020.

Call in Ted Cruz! :getin:

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Hey OP, if you're reading this, when you make the new thread can you include John Harwood's twitter under Robert Costa's?

He seems to have a lot of sources inside the Republican party and the Trump campaign. He was the first one to break that Manafort was sidelined in early August.

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I wonder how Cruz feels about his endorsement now that Trump is imploding in epic fashion just one week later.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder how Cruz feels about his endorsement now that Trump is imploding in epic fashion just one week later.

Giddy, I'd suppose. Opens the door for him to run for 2020 if people forget quickly enough.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm sure he's melted into a puddle of pure hatred by now.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The only part about this endless stream of Trump getting dunked on and former conservative institutions going out of their way to denounce him that I don't like is that all of these open letters and callouts have made him into this first-ever weird anomaly that just came out of nowhere, letting the party that not only elected him but has institutionally coalesced around him off the hook.

It's probably too much to ask for the national narrative to give up the "both parties have equal legitimacy as institutions" myth.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"
Remember prestors jane's predictions?

Are we getting close to him calling for open volience?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Saeka posted:

Giddy, I'd suppose. Opens the door for him to run for 2020 if people forget quickly enough.

He cannot feel happiness.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

He cannot feel happiness.

I imagine he's feeling at least vindicated right now. If not a bit of shame.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm not gonna lie a small part of me is worried because hateful bigoted morons have a candidate riling them up more than any in recent history. They HATE Hillary, as much as they hate the first black president, and unlike either of Obama's elections there are major figures in their party inciting them to violence. At the very least several people are going to be seriously injured on election day due to Trump telling his morons to police the polling stations.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tender Bender posted:

I'm not gonna lie a small part of me is worried because hateful bigoted morons have a candidate riling them up more than any in recent history. They HATE Hillary, as much as they hate the first black president, and unlike either of Obama's elections there are major figures in their party inciting them to violence. At the very least several people are going to be seriously injured on election day due to Trump telling his morons to police the polling stations.

I understand your concern, but I think things will be okay. Without hyperbole, his supporters are almost all elderly or so obese it limits their agility, or both. Yes, they have guns and that's not good, but they are people who have been entirely sedentary and socially passive their entire lives. They get confrontational on the internet, but most of them have no experience picking fights in real life.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The very worst that could happen would be another Y'all Queda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Hopefully that's all that would happen, but I don't think we should write off the possibility of another McVeigh so easily.

• Locked thread